Parenting

CIO?

Talk to me about "Cry It Out".

So, daughter will be 6 weeks old tomorrow (dear God how times flies). She is absolutely not having any of this sleeping in her bassinet. Or pack and play. Or rock and play. Or car seat. Or swing. Or anything. The only place she will sleep is on my wife or I.

Every now and then, we can get her to sleep in one of the aforementioned contraptions but it is for small bursts of 10-30 minutes once a day or so. Sometimes. Rarely. 

I was talking about this at work today and one of the guys here (who does have 3 small kids, 9, 6, and 3) said that we need to let her "cry it out". He basically said him and wife did the same thing we are doing with their first child. With the next two, they had to let her cry herself to sleep for a few nights in a row and after that- she would sleep fine in her bassinet.

Now, something inside of me just doesn't agree with this. Anytime we hear her cry- I want to come get her. She will cry/stretch a little bit and sometimes she will stop. We usually pick her up when she flips her *** and goes into full scream mode.

But then something inside of me also says "this guy has 3 kids so he must be doing something right by now" so want to trust what he says.

I don't know. I guess I am just a little confused and unsure of what to do. On one hand, I really feel like if she is crying something is wrong- even if she just needs to be held so one of us should be holding her. On the second hand, my wife and I haven't slept in the same bed together at the same time since she was born. We are both just really sleep deprived, irritable, tired, and just powering through this phase. 

Just looking for some advice I guess. Or just venting. Or both. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: CIO?

• Go to 0-3 months and ask this.  It will be a shitstorm
  • I have no real advice. DS was and still is a terrible sleeper. He only slept in his swing and/or our bed until 7 months.

I have heard good things about "No cry Sleep solution" and we are doing that with DS so far we have had great results.

Also, your DD is too young to CIO in my OP

“I’d marry again if I found a man who had $15 million and would sign over half of it to me before the marriage and guarantee he’d be dead in a year.” - Bette Davis
  • Loading the player...
  • No.

Don't CIO yet. 

She's too little.

Do you do the 5 S's?

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• No CIO this young. The youngest you can do it is 6months. We waited until 8 months. To do it for a baby this young is just cruel. They are not capable of self soothing at this point.
  • It's not advised before 6 months. 6 weeks is waaaay too early, your co-worker is crazy. Do you guys swaddle, use white noise, heat the bassinet first? These things may help.
  • No.  Listen to your gut, like you said.  Don't take any advice from people just because they have kids.

• Nope nope nope nope nope.

CIO is cruel before 6 months of age. Babies cannot self soothe before then. It's why both my kids slept in bed with me the first 7 months. Then transitioned to the crib with a little bit of CIO. I'm not against CIO, just when they are older. There is a time and a place for CIO, not before 6 months.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Experts say you shouldn't CIO until 4 to 6 months of age. I'd wait.

Is there any difference between your arms and her bed? We had to warm DS's sheets with a water bottle before putting him down or it wouldn't work. He was cold. A white noise machine helped him sleep in his crib as well.

image image
  • What PP's said. I ended up sleeping in a recliner for a few weeks when the lack of sleep got really bad. She slept on my chest. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Parenting.... in Parenting?

So, what happens if your daughter falls asleep in/on you guys and you transfer her to a crib? Is that how you get the 10-30 min bursts?

Do you use a pacifier?

We had some luck with doing the transfer then trying to calm the little dude when he was in the crib. But a lot of the time he woke up demanding milk.

Oh, the other "trick" that worked for us was thinking of his schedule in 45 minute chunks. So, if he woke up from a nap, DW would feed him, we'd change him, play a little, etc. If he seemed sleepy at ~40 minutes we'd start to put him down. If not, we'd let him stay up another 45 minute cycle. We found that if we did that he'd go down easier, and usually napped pretty good. But I honestly forget how old he was. At 6 weeks you may just be at her mercy.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imageCinemaGoddess:

No.

Don't CIO yet. 

She's too little.

Do you do the 5 S's?

This is an excellent point.
    You could read/watch Happiest Baby on the Block.
    It thoroughly covers the 5 S's.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If she's only 6 weeks, she's crying for a reason, whether that be hunger, too hot, too cold, needing new diaper, etc, etc.

Once they hit the age where they cry for attention, I've read between 4 and 6 months, then CIO would be effective.

We did CIO with DS1 and he's been a dream sleeper since...pun not originally intended. We did not have to do it with DS2...he came out happy just about all the time.
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageCinemaGoddess:

No.

Don't CIO yet. 

She's too little.

Do you do the 5 S's?

Oh yeah, THIS!

Swaddling especially. Swaddling is amazing.

• imageMrsNorry:
    It's not advised before 6 months. 6 weeks is waaaay too early, your co-worker is crazy. Do you guys swaddle, use white noise, heat the bassinet first? These things may help.

We haven't tried heating the bassinet first- that is a good idea.

We tried the swaddle but she goes absolutely apesh!t when we swaddle her. She freaks out unless she can touch her face with her hands. So we were doing half-swaddles with her just so she has her hands free but she still freaks out. I am not sure if she just doesn't like being swaddled or if I am doing it wrong. I did watch a few YouTube videos.

White noise is a good idea- we will try that next. We have found that she will lay for awhile in her pack and play with the mobile on. So we may try to find a white noise machine to keep next to her.

What are the 5 S's thing?  

• imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    I really wouldn't recommend it before 6 months.

That is kinda where we both are. We just feel like we are doing something wrong (which we probably are) if we can only put her down for short stints at a time until she goes bananas. Once we are holding her, she immediately stops crying and turns into the most adorable thing ever.  

• Youtube 'baby got colic', too.
  • Whoa flash backs.

I am on team too young.

There was a while there where I missed the baby napping on me but now I am pregnant enough to be scared of it happening again.

• imageRockyTopVols:

I don't know. I guess I am just a little confused and unsure of what to do. On one hand, I really feel like if she is crying something is wrong- even if she just needs to be held so one of us should be holding her. On the second hand, my wife and I haven't slept in the same bed together at the same time since she was born. We are both just really sleep deprived, irritable, tired, and just powering through this phase. 

At that age, I believe that if they are crying they need something, and if that something is to be held, they should be held.

Have you ruled out other issues like reflux?

ETA: also, try 5 Ss - swaddle, side (hold them on their side in your arms), sush, swing (rock), suck (paci).

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Not a fan

• The 5 S's are from Happiest Baby on the Block:  Swaddle, shush, swing, suck, and one other one I can't remember right now.

It worked wonders on our kids when they wouldn't sleep.  Both of them were out of the swaddles super early (like at 8 weeks) but the other 4 S's still worked until they were about 6 months old.

It was a life saver.  For serious. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageBostonKisses2:
      During the day, would it be possible to try babywearing so you can still get things done, and she's still getting sleep? 

My wife does babywear her quite a bit in a sling so she is able to still do things around the house, move around, etc. She will sleep in there pretty easily or if she is awake, is pretty content with that as well.  

• imageRockyTopVols:

imageMrsNorry:
    It's not advised before 6 months. 6 weeks is waaaay too early, your co-worker is crazy. Do you guys swaddle, use white noise, heat the bassinet first? These things may help.

We tried the swaddle but she goes absolutely apesh!t when we swaddle her. She freaks out unless she can touch her face with her hands. So we were doing half-swaddles with her just so she has her hands free but she still freaks out. I am not sure if she just doesn't like being swaddled or if I am doing it wrong. I did watch a few YouTube videos.

White noise is a good idea- we will try that next. We have found that she will lay for awhile in her pack and play with the mobile on. So we may try to find a white noise machine to keep next to her.

You can even watch the DVD. Try the NCSS too

“I’d marry again if I found a man who had $15 million and would sign over half of it to me before the marriage and guarantee he’d be dead in a year.” - Bette Davis
  • imageNana_Osaki06:

Nope nope nope nope nope.

CIO is cruel before 6 months of age. Babies cannot self soothe before then. It's why both my kids slept in bed with me the first 7 months. Then transitioned to the crib with a little bit of CIO. I'm not against CIO, just when they are older. There is a time and a place for CIO, not before 6 months.

I agree. 

TTC#2 since December 2010. HSG and bloodwork all good. SA results not so good. Unmedicated IUI#1 6/19/2012 - BFN
  • 6 weeks is too young to let her CIO.  Some babies are just not great sleepers.  When C was a newborn she never slept for more than 30 mins at a time unless someone was holding her.  We started doing the Sleep Lady Shuffle when she was about 5 mos old but she didn't start STTN until just this month (and that is still sporadic and she is 15 mos old).  I say for now, do whatever works best to allow you guys to get some rest.  If that means she sleeps on a person, then do it (I might be in the minority on this though).
  • When the baby wakes up, how long are you keeping her up? At 6 weeks, she really shouldn't be awake for more than about 45 minutes. That includes feeding time. I really didn't understand that when we first became parents.

oh, and get the swaddle that have Velcro. 

Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageRockyTopVols:

Swaddle

Side/stomach

Swing

Shush

Sucking

It's from the Happiest Baby on the Block... it's a book and also a dvd on netflix. Highly recommended!

DS 3/11 * CP 6/12 * BFP 12/10/12, EDD 8/20/13
    Pic3
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • She is too young to CIO. We followed the book, "Happiest Baby on the Block".  Google it and then watch the You Tube demo.  It really did work for both of my LO's. 

Also, Gripe Water is an amazing thing.

Good luck!

• imageMrs JillB:

When the baby wakes up, how long are you keeping her up? At 6 weeks, she really shouldn't be awake for more than about 45 minutes. That includes feeding time. I really didn't understand that when we first became parents.

oh, and get the swaddle that have Velcro. 

Also this. Make sure she's not over tired.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• It was good you posted this question here, RTV.

Other boards would've been way meaner. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageashleysyn2:
    I personally think 6 weeks is too young for CIO. Unfortunately I have no other advice other than to keep powering though. Those first 3 months are the worst.

This! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrsEll:
    Be prepared for something to work for a bit and then stop working. Don't congratulate yourself when a new technique works, because then it will stop working and you will want to jump off a cliff.

Yup.

I don't get excited about sleep "changes" until they've been happening consistently for at least 2 weeks. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageRockyTopVols:

imageMrsNorry:

Swaddle her anyway.  In a velcro sack, not the blankies.  Then hold her.  I know she fights it a little, but you do need to try it.  This is the 4th trimester. The holding indicates needing closeness, and a proper swaddle can help all of you. 

You can also try wearing the baby.  It will get better, I promise.  The 5s's book is fantastic & worth the money - pick it up on the way home. 

• Do you have a swing? It will keep her cozy but also provide some movement. You can worry about breaking habits when she's older, but this is survival time.

The 5 S's are magic! 

• imageJET29:
    imageRockyTopVols:

Swaddle

Side/stomach

Swing

Shush

Sucking

It's from the Happiest Baby on the Block... it's a book and also a dvd on netflix. Highly recommended!

We do have Netflix so we may stream this tonight.

Looks like we will try the 5 S thing. I think we both agree with CIO this young is a no-no, and we both agreed to that before the baby was born.

But thinking about/planning before baby is here and actually living through it are two way different things lol.  

Any advice on the swaddling? Do some babies just not like being swaddled? As mentioned before- it seems that if she can't get her hands to her face she freaks out.  

• imageMollusksWrangler:
    Some kids don't like the swaddle, my daughter acted like we were torturing her when we wrapped her up .

DS hated being wrapped up, but surrendered pretty quick once he was all wrapped up.

• Have y'all tried any sleep sacks?
  • My DD used to nap in my arms/on my chest, in DH's arms or in her swing until she was about 4 months old.  Fortunately she would sleep in her bassinet attchment of her PnP at night most of the time (or in her swing while I pumped after her bottle before I took her back upstairs with me).  We did swaddle with her and did CIO at 6 months and she has been an excellent sleeper ever since.  The 5 S's worked like a charm with her too.

6 weeks is WAY too young to CIO.  Try baby wearing if she'll tolerate a carrier.  Hang in there it'll get easier!

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Watch The Happiest Baby on the Block on Netflix. Today. Seriously do it today. Then get Velcro swaddlers. Dr Karp talks about them fighting the swaddle, but in concert with the other S's it will work. I'm sorry you haven't heard of the 5 S's sooner!
  • I'm about 99% sure it's not available on Netflix streaming.  It may be available on YouTube. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"