February 2013 Moms

No commercial diaper wipes for 1st 3 mos.

At my childcare prep class at the hospital they said not to use commercial diaper wipes for the first 3 months. This, after I just bought a Costco box of Huggies (Natural Care Plus) diaper wipes! Has anyone else heard of this or is planning on not using diaper wipes? They said to use "Quickables" dipped in warm water...and for convenient warm water supply, to get an insulated coffee dispenser. I had never heard of diaper wipes being bad before.
Pregnancy Ticker
20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage

Re: No commercial diaper wipes for 1st 3 mos.

• Don't sweat it. I think it's because some wipes have alcohol in them and that can irritate a baby's bottom (especially if they have diaper rash), but I'm 99.9% positive that I have some of the Huggies Natural wipes and they don't contain the alcohol. You have to figure that thousands upon thousands of parents use commercial diaper wipes right from the start and their babies turn out fine! I do happen to have some alcohol-free ones (CVS brand), but I plan on using them along with either Huggies or Pampers wipes.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My son has used Pampers Sensitive wipes since Day 1 and DS2 will be using the same wipes.  We've never had an issue.  The issue we did have was using Huggies wipes at one point because they had so much moisture in them it was giving him a rash.  The huggies wipes you mention didn't sound like they'd have the moisture issue though since they're the natural ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I always use the "sensitive" type wipes and use them from birth. I like Target's up and up. This is my third kid and I've never heard that you shouldn't use wipes before 3 months.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i can see staying away from brands that have harsh chemicals and such, but i've personally never heard of foregoing wipes entirely.

as with pretty much any other sort of 'product' for this baby, we are using wipes from honest.com 

here is the ingredient list (as well as having no animal testing or by-products):

Ingredients:
    Purified Water, Citric Acid (Fruit-Based Stability Agent), Silver Dihydrogen Citrate (All Natural, Water-Soluble Preservative), Decyl Gulcoside (Sugar-Based Cleanser), Sodium Citrate (Corn-Based Antioxidant), Punica Granatum (Pomegranate Fruit) Extract, Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice Root) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber Fruit) Extract, And Peucedanum Ostruthium (Masterwort Leaf) Extract 

*Will Compost In Municipal / Industrial Facilities According To ISO, ASTM, And EN Regulations 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Those commercial wipes are full of chemicals and fragrances that can bother a sensitive baby's skin.  We just use baby washcloths with warm water for wipes in our house, even after 3 months.

• They said this at my classes 4 years ago with DD and after using the cloths they gave us in the hospital to try to clean the first sticky, tar poo's off DD I busted open my sensitive wipes and didn't look back. I will say that I wasn't a huge fan of the Pamper's sensitive, they always seemed too soft (if that makes sense) and I had to wipe a lot. I have used Huggies wipes ever since with DD- now for face/hand clean up and I am stocked up on the Huggies Pure and Natural for LO. 

Some kids have skin sensitivities and if they do, you'll notice it from a rash. For instance, we used Pampers Swaddlers diapers and loved them, but Pamper's Cruisers gave DD a diaper rash unlike anything I've ever seen that required some major diaper free time. It's a learning curve! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DD had sensitve skin when she was little and I love the Kirkland (Costco) sensitive, unscented wipes.

We cancelled our Costco membership and switched to Sams so we bought a big box of their sensitive, unscented wipes..hopefully they're just as good. 
  • imagepenguingrrl:
    I always use the "sensitive" type wipes and use them from birth. I like Target's up and up. This is my third kid and I've never heard that you shouldn't use wipes before 3 months.

I learned the hard way with my first to use the "sensitive" or "hypoallergenic" types of wipes. Target brand is great!  That is all we use to this day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My pedi said the same thing about commercial diaper wipes.  I still have them, I bought the Pampers Sensitive.  I plan on using the diaper wipes for messy jobs but then finishing the cleaning with a warm baby wash cloth.

3 angel babies; m/c 2009, 2010, 2011. Our little blessing is due February 2013. Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • imagebobcatsteph:
    DD had sensitve skin when she was little and I love the Kirkland (Costco) sensitive, unscented wipes.

We cancelled our Costco membership and switched to Sams so we bought a big box of their sensitive, unscented wipes..hopefully they're just as good. 

The Costco Kirkland wipes are great! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • image+adamwife+:
    Those commercial wipes are full of chemicals and fragrances that can bother a sensitive baby's skin.  We just use baby washcloths with warm water for wipes in our house, even after 3 months.

This.  But I cloth diaper too, and it really is gross when disposable wipes go through the washer and dryer.  They shred and get stringy lint on everything.  I always did keep disposable wipes in the diaper bag though, as not every place LO decides to need a diaper is conveniently located next to a sink... like the beach, or the State Park, or the freeway....

I actually think it's kind of funny.  My DH is totally on board with whatever I decide to do.  His standard answer is "Just tell me what I need to know."  But my In-laws are TOTALLY freaking out at the fact that I am planning to use wash clothes and cloth diapers in stead of disposables.  My SIL was all concerned about using a butt wipe on LO's face.  (Simple solution, I use color wash clothes for the top half and white only wash clothes for bottom)

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"