February 2012 Moms

Fruit/veggie pouches

So my DD never liked purees.  She just wouldn't let us feed them to her, so we sort of did a BLW approach to her eating.  She is eating pretty well now, but still has no teeth, so we are still somewhat limited to what we can feed her, especially when it comes to fruits and veggies. 

We had a bunch of puree pouches left over from when we started with purees, so I gave one to her the other day, and she grabbed it and sucked it dry.  I remember reading on here that people thought it wasn't really appropriate to eat those pouches that way, and I'm really curious why.  

I'm now starting to think this could be a great way to get her some fruits and veggies and some additional calories while she still has no teeth, but I'm wondering if I'm starting a bad habit or if there is something else wrong with doing this that I'm missing.

TIA!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fruit/veggie pouches

• Our LO is only eating carbs (mac and cheese, roasted potatoes, etc) so we talked to the pedi and we're going to give her purees at every meal for fruit/veggies/protien.  I don't see what the problem would be.  We'll still offer her the fruit, veggies and meat, and hope that she eventually will start eating them again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use pouches as a way to get veggies in when she's teething and refuses to eat. So, for the last four days. There was a whole brouhaha about it on the SAHM board, and really, I do not see what the problem is. DD loves the pouches. Like, a lot. 

FWIW, she doesn't seem to use her teeth at all to eat fruits or veggies. But, ymmv. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagejoie12:

I use pouches as a way to get veggies in when she's teething and refuses to eat. So, for the last four days. There was a whole brouhaha about it on the SAHM board, and really, I do not see what the problem is. DD loves the pouches. Like, a lot. 

FWIW, she doesn't seem to use her teeth at all to eat fruits or veggies. But, ymmv. 

Running over to SAH board to see if I can find that post. 

• I let Austin suck his pouch. He has one everyday for a snack and he loves it!
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is your question about feeding them the pouches or them eating straight out of the pouch?

I see no problem with them still eating pures after a year and my pedi even said it was fine to get some extra vitamins in him each day. I'd be apprehensive about letting him just suck it right out of a pouch though because I see that as counterproductive in helping him learn table manners.

BUT if its the only way your baby eats then you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • I'm referring to sucking it straight out of the pouch.  She won't let me feed her purees, so there is no hope in actually spoon feeding her.

Fair point about table manners, but I just wonder if it's better to get her the nutrients in fruits and vegetables now, and teach table manners later. 

• I still buy these...fruits, veggies, and yogurt.  They are great for on the go or on nights when I don't think what I have is "healthy" enough for him to eat.  If your LO is eating other things, I don't see a problem with these.  I think the "thought", from what I remember, is that if they are never offered 'solid' foods then they don't learn to eat.  I don't know that I agree or disagree with that thought, but like I said I still give them to Ian.  He eats other food great, but he does still love the pouches.  He won't let me feed him much of anything anymore and if I don't have a veggie cooked for dinner, or something for breakfast, he gets these.  I used to think that I wouldn't just give them to him to just suck on...well, that went out the window when he started snatching them out of my hands.  I say go for it!  Still offer other things, of course, but I don't see anything wrong with giving the pouches as a "side".

• I'm jumping in because I was one of the ones who was critical of the pouches. But all I said was, I have a friend whose three year old is still sucking pouches on a daily basis. She stays at home and never cooks a healthy meal for him. Like, ever. She depends on microwave meals and "squeezies" and says it's just so easy to know he's getting a balanced diet when everything is pre portioned. Seriously?? This is someone with a Master's degree. The kid is three. You stay at home. Cut him up a piece of fruit. Steam him a veggie. I have no problem with giving purees to babies. I just think that extended use of pouches does not teach kids to like nutritious food. It teaches them to like flavored sludge.
  • I see nothing wrong with pouches.  Skyler had a pouch and cheerios for breakfast on yesterday.  She gets them when we are out and I need to feed her quickly.  She eats all other fruit and veggies with no problem so I don't use them to trick her, I use them for convenience.  If I need to feed her, but also make her lunch or pack her bag in the morning I give her a pouch and go on my merry way. 

I think it would only be a problem if you kid never had real fruit.  I feed Skyler fruit for a snack at least five times a week and she usually has a few pieces of assorted fruit after her dinner.  She also eats banana for breakfast a minimum of twice per week.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We don't use pouches, so I've got nothing to add to that part of your question. But Lucia only has two teeth and she can eat pretty much any fruit or veggie I can think of. That doesn't mean she chooses to like them all, but she can eat them. She doesn't chew with those teeth, she chews back where her molars will eventually come in. I would just try regular fruits and veggies with your kid.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• My eight year old eats pouches.  So does my five year old.  It's a status symbol in packed from home lunches at school.  Seriously.  They make them for older kids (I buy these for DS, they are cheaper).  It's a side to their normal food (typical lunches are bento, and include things like grape tomatoes, celery, raisins, nuts, etc).  Instead of a cup of applesauce (that the 5 year old always spills trying to open it herself) they get a pouch and get to be rock stars at the lunch table.

DS eats one at day care as his "second breakfast" (he eats oatmeal in the morning). 

DS eats one at dinner as well.  He just really likes them, and I give him one that is a complement to fill in whatever dinner lacks (usually a fruit).  At the same time he is also eating the same meal we are eating.  And some other stuff (the kid can eat). 

DS does still have what I call "solids fatigue".  He gets to a point where he just wants a pouch.  Mollysm said it's the same with the girls she nannies from time to time - and I do worry that he is going to be pouch addicted or something.  But really, there are way worse things.

All about balance...if DS will eat broccoli, tilapia and parmesan shells...he can have a freaking pouch too.

• imageSept07b2b:

Fair point about table manners, but I just wonder if it's better to get her the nutrients in fruits and vegetables now, and teach table manners later.nbsp;

I think that if it's the only way to get her to eat fruits and veggies because of her lack of teeth then you should worry more about that than table manners. I'm really struggling with Munchkin to get him to stop throwing food on the floor and to hold his spoon so I'm really pushing the table manners right now. He's able and willing to eat whole food though.
  • image2chatter:
    My eight year old eats pouches.nbsp; So does my five year old.nbsp; It's a status symbol in packed from home lunches at school.nbsp; Seriously.
    Wow. I am 100% serious when I say, my kid will have to find another way to be "cool" if that's how it is everywhere. Add me to the Mean Mom list.
  • imageJessicameron:
    image2chatter:
    My eight year old eats pouches.nbsp; So does my five year old.nbsp; It's a status symbol in packed from home lunches at school.nbsp; Seriously.
    Wow. I am 100 per cent serious when I say, my kid will have to find another way to be "cool" if that's how it is everywhere. Add me to the Mean Mom list.

Agreed. I understand feeding it to an older kid as a quick, on-the-go snack but I wouldn't give it to them as a part of their regular meal. I think it just encourages laziness while eating. 

• I am sorry, but I am going to be the b!tch here, maybe it's my mood today.  WHO CARES?!  We are moms and life is freakin hard.  If a little pouch makes someones life easier with their kid more power to them.  Logan is the messiest kid ever, so why on earth would I give him an apple sauce or yogurt that he will spill all over when I could give him one that is mess free?  He has plenty of time to practice using his utensils with every other kind of food in the world that can't be eaten from a pouch.  He eats tons of normal fruit, but when it comes to apple sauce or yogurt... suck it down kid!!  

Come on ladies, pouch side eyeing... really?!

This is why I stay off the SAHMs board.  Sometimes I am ashamed to be one. 

ETA- Okay I just went and read the thread on the SAHM's board and lot's of them are on board with the pouches so I retract my statement about that board.  I was under the impression that they were all acting like pouches were evil. 

• I guess I just don't get that....it's organic fruit served in a pouch along with conventional organic fruit and veggies and some sort of main dish.  There are such bigger hills to die on....like avoiding school lunches or use of a fork to eat noodles (DD has a classmate that uses her fingers).
  • I'm of the camp that pouches are okay, and I also let him suck straight out of the tube. He's in the spoon batting phase, and dinner becomes more of a battle than a time of family togetherness. He gets the pouches (most days) as supplements to real food. He may get a yogert one in the morning along with some kind of finger food (fruit or cereal), and maybe a fruit/veggie one at dinner, again alongside a finger food (cheese, meat, etc). He seems to have inherited his mom's sweet tooth (oops!) so it's a way to get veggies in him that would otherwise end up on the floor. Lunch is real food at daycare, and he eats plenty of what we eat as well. I figure it works for us...maybe that's my UO for the day.
  • Calm down ladies. The OP asked a question, and I answered it. No one is coming to take away your pouches.
  • imageJessicameron:
    Calm down ladies. The OP asked a question, and I answered it. No one is coming to take away your pouches.

I was referring to the fact that there is a "pouch debate" at all.  Not this thread directly.   

• Um, what would be the point of the pouch if you aren't supposed to suck it...
  • I'm in camp "who cares."  My 3.5 year old loves pouches because she thinks they are fun.  She certainly has other treats that are much less healthy than those.  I guess in an extreme situation where a kid never ever got a vegetable or fruit that was not in pouch form it could be a problem, but I fail to see what all the hoopla is about. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageStarbuck128:
    2chatter, about the pouches as a status symbol in school lunches... Help an out of touch mom out. What are the pouches replacing when compared with a lunch from when we grew up? Fruit roll ups? Those gummy fruit snacks? Juice boxes? Little Debbie snacks? I'm thinking if they are a dessert substitute, that is awesome and progress in my book. Organic fruit or yogurt pouch, mobile greater than symbol, sugary snack.

I'm not 2chatter, but from a preschool perspective... yes!  That is what I think is awesome.  The kids all have these instead of fruit snacks and they think they are so cool.  It makes me giggle... yeah, keep that 'I'm so cool' smile on your face while you suck down your fruits and veggies. Muahahaha!  Evil mom, I know.

• imageShmogan09:

imageStarbuck128:
    2chatter, about the pouches as a status symbol in school lunches... Help an out of touch mom out. What are the pouches replacing when compared with a lunch from when we grew up? Fruit roll ups? Those gummy fruit snacks? Juice boxes? Little Debbie snacks? I'm thinking if they are a dessert substitute, that is awesome and progress in my book. Organic fruit or yogurt pouch, mobile greater than symbol, sugary snack.

I'm not 2chatter, but from a preschool perspective... yes!  That is what I think is awesome.  The kids all have these instead of fruit snacks and they think they are so cool.  It makes me giggle... yeah, keep that 'I'm so cool' smile on your face while you suck down your fruits and veggies. Muahahaha!  Evil mom, I know.

Yep, I agree with this.  DD will eat them for dessert, too.  Sure beats a cookie....most of the pouches are just pure fruit and veggie, often organic, without any added sugar at all.  And she loves them.  I fail to see where that is a problem.

• imageLawren:
    Um, what would be the point of the pouch if you aren't supposed to suck it...

This is my thought too. DD has been eating her own pouches for months. It helped her learn to use a straw too, which she loves.

And, besides her blended pouches, I buy the applesauce pouches all the time. They sell them in big boxes at Costco. I pack one every day in my lunch, DH's lunch and DD's lunch. We all eat them directly from the pouch. I don't think it's a big deal :)

DD also eats regular fruits and vegetables, and all table food. She self-feeds, but can't figure out utensils yet, so she eats with her hands.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• I'd just rather my kid learn to eat and enjoy whole food rather than from a pouch. Again, as a snack every once in awhile than fine but I wouldn't do it as a part of an every day meal. I'm not judging and I couldn't care less what you all feed your kids. I just don't want mine to get in the habit.
  • My son has cut up fruit and veggies at every meal. I give him a pouch for a snack so he can have extra fruit and veggies instead of carbs.
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Shmogan is spot on.  Yes, they totally replace processed junk!  It cracks me up!  I also laugh and wonder when DD will be "too cool" for pouches. 

It does kind of hack me off how much cheaper junk food is...$1.50 for Little Debbies - a whole box. DD traded her pouch one day for a Christmas tree cake, a baggie of celery and a baggie of grapes.  That annoyed me, even thought she negotiated up from the cake to include the fruit.

Firewife I am cracking up - my DH will eat an applesauce packet very occassionally, and it makes me laugh.  I don't think he would eat them at work.  Image, and all that....

• My daughter loves those. I don't give them to her when we are at home, but when we are out they are awesome. We still nurse a lot, but it's not always convenient nor am I always able to sit down and give her a meal, but last weekend I was in some shops and thought she was hungry and gave her one  (Plum Organics Mashers!!- love them) and she sucked it down pretty quickly- followed by some rice crackers. Sometimes you just need something fast.

I do agree though that it's not going to help with table manners.

• I am on the fence about pouches.  I posted about them a couple of weeks ago because I hadn't been able to get Lyla to eat anything, but she would suck these down. After reading a few articles, I decided I wasn't teaching her anything by letting her have a pouch.  I think if she was a good eater normally and ate solids by herself more then an occasional pouch wouldn't bother me when we are on the go or for a snack. We have had to figure out how to get her to eat without being able to just slurp something down.  

To the OP, Lyla refused to feed herself with her fingers and would let us feed her with a spoon, but if I give her the spoon she will feed herself that way.  I was shocked at how much she actually ate when I let her do it alone.  Now, it is SUPER messy and it ends up EVERYWHERE, but each time she gets better.  Maybe try letting your LO use the spoon themselves and see what happens.  

3month11
  • Y'all. I just have to laugh.  This is the Firsty-est First World Problem Debate of all time.  

That's not to say I don't have an opinion... Would I rather my child eat whole fruits and veggies than suck them from a pouch? Yes.  If that's the only way she'll eat fruits and veggies for the time being (this is hypothetical - we've actually never tried a pouch), do I think her table manners will be ruined forever and mess with her future Supreme Court appointment chances?  No.  

Think there's a healthy balance to be struck here, and my approach to this "conundrum" would likely change based on the age of my child.  I wouldn't want a pouch to become a total and complete crutch in the future (as I believe MollySm has described with the kiddos she nannies), but you also do what you have to do to make sure your child is getting all the good nutrients they need.. so if that means a pouch when on the go or as a snack or, hell, after you've tried every last veggie in your fridge and they just aren't having it, rock on with the damn pouch. 

As to school age children eating straight from the pouch... At first blush, it seems like a weird mental image to me, but, logically, I don't see how it's all that different from drinking a smoothie with a straw.  I think back to what was "cool" to have in your lunch when I was a kid, and a pouch is WAY better for you than nasty-*ss GUSHERS are.

11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • It's basically applesauce! (or whatever else fruit/veggie 'sauce') If I buy a jar of applesauce and serve my child a bowl of applesauce, no one would care. But put it in a pouch and give it to him, and now I am lazy for not giving him a whole apple? My almost three year old loves pouches as snacks. They are the equivalent of candy for him. He literally dances and squeals if I offer a pouch as a snack. Now, he does eat whole fruit and a balanced diet, too. These are extras. And yes, I do use them on days when he refuse all other foods. And  yes, he sucks it straight from the pouch (DS2 just squeezes them out all over the place, so if I feed him any purees, I spoon fed him. He usually eats finger foods, though, as that is what he prefers.)

My biggest issue with them, really, is the cost and the waste they produce.

I always find it funny when ladies on here are concerned about giving purees after a certain age. None of you have eaten applesauce, pudding, yogurt, soups, smoothies, mashed potatoes, etc, since you were infants?? The truth is that our diets are full of different  textures. They should be exposed to all types of textures. Please don't feel that giving your child purees is something that you should worry about. I would be concerned if you never offered anything else, but it seems the question here is more about serving purees in addition to other things.

• My main issue with the pouches has not been mentioned yet (that I've seen). I only don't buy them because I feel like it's excessive packaging. It's still definitely a serving of fruit and I don't really care if anyone else uses them, I just thought I'd throw this other opinion out there. In general I try not to buy single serving foods for the same reason. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • Hmmm. I'm not sure how many of these strong reactions actually stem from this thread and how many are being fueled by the thread on the SAHM board (which I haven't read, but it sounds drama-licious). I haven't read anything here that really warrants such defensiveness. I can only speak for myself, but I don't consider myself a better mom than anyone else because I don't feed my son pouches. Come on. The one example I gave was of a three year old who never sees a fruit or veggie that doesn't come in pouch form, which is a far cry from what the rest of you are describing. And you know what? I do give his mom the ol' side-eye for that. Does that make me smug? Oh well.

ETA: I agree it's a ridiculous "debate", and had I known that's what this would end up as, I probably wouldn't have responded. This is truly at the bottom of my list of things I actually care about. Again, the OP asked a question and I responded. I definitely wouldn't have expected it to escalate the way it did, which is why I wonder what on earth is being said over on the SAHM board.

• imageShmogan09:

I am sorry, but I am going to be the b!tch here, maybe it's my mood today.  WHO CARES?!  We are moms and life is freakin hard.  If a little pouch makes someones life easier with their kid more power to them.  Logan is the messiest kid ever, so why on earth would I give him an apple sauce or yogurt that he will spill all over when I could give him one that is mess free?  He has plenty of time to practice using his utensils with every other kind of food in the world that can't be eaten from a pouch.  He eats tons of normal fruit, but when it comes to apple sauce or yogurt... suck it down kid!!  

Come on ladies, pouch side eyeing... really?!

This is why I stay off the SAHMs board.  Sometimes I am ashamed to be one. 

Amen.  
    Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageJessicameron:
    Hmmm. I'm not sure how many of these strong reactions actually stem from this thread and how many are being fueled by the thread on the SAHM board which I haven't read, but it sounds dramalicious. I haven't read anything here that really warrants such defensiveness. I can only speak for myself, but I don't consider myself a better mom than anyone else because I don't feed my son pouches. Come on. The one example I gave was of a three year old who never sees a fruit or veggie that doesn't come in pouch form, which is a far cry from what the rest of you are describing. And you know what? I do give his mom the ol' sideeye for that. Does that make me smug? Oh well. ETA: I agree it's a ridiculous "debate", and had I known that's what this would end up as, I probably wouldn't have responded. This is truly at the bottom of my list of things I actually care about. Again, the OP asked a question and I responded. I definitely wouldn't have expected it to escalate the way it did, which is why I wonder what on earth is being said over on the SAHM board.

Agreed. I have an opinion but I'm certainly not up in arms or defensive about it. It doesn't seem like anyone on this thread has been. I'm not a SAHM so I don't lurk or participate on that board.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"