February 2013 Moms

catheter question

I had a catheter with my first baby. As I was talking to my friend tonight, she thought it was weird that I had a catheter. She had her kids in a different area and had no catheter. I am just wondering what your experiences are. Did you have a catheter during labor?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: catheter question

• Did your friend have an epidural? I thought everyone who has an epidural has to get a catheter, but they aren't necessary if you go natural. I had an epidural and catheter with my DS.
  • Hmmmm...I am not sure if she went natural or not. I did have an epidural. Thanks for your response.
  • Loading the player...
  • I went au naturale and did not have a cath. Would have been nice tho, my pitocine contractions were so intense that they squeezed pee out with every one.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I've heard that some people with an epidural get a catheter and some just get cathed every so often by a nurse. But yeah if your friend went natural she probably did not need that since she would have been able to get up to use the bathroom.
  • They put a catheter in me, but it wasn't draining properly bc baby's head was blocking it. It was super uncomfortable so they took it out and had me try to pee in a pan... I wasn't able to pee until after labor... it just wasn't working out well

BabyFetus Ticker
  • First baby= no catheter, no epidural

Second baby= epidural and the nurse in and out cathed me. She didn't leave it in.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It will all depend on the doctor and their preference. A lot won't cath because risk of infection. If you get a uti in the hospital and you had a cath some insurances are refusing to pay for the stay and the hospital has to write the expenses off because you acquired the infection in the hospital.
  • Good to know. I did have a UTI with my first, but it happened a couple weeks after delivery. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"