April 2012 Moms

overhearing bad parenting advice

Anyone ever hear someone sharing bad parenting advice to someone else and want to interject? I'm listening to a lady tell another lady, who asked about potty training, to let them stay in the poopy diaper, even when the child asks to be changed, and tell them about how if they pooped in the toilet they wouldn't have a dirty diaper..hmmm

Re: overhearing bad parenting advice

• Which actually now that I type it up doesn't sound so bad if you explained the dirty diaper vs toilet..but to make a child beg to be changed and tell them no and that you don't want to change dirty diapers anymore..idk a seemed harsh
  • Making a child stay in a dirty diaper is child abuse, I would have said something
  • Loading the player...
  • Actually when we were potty training Ashlynn we did this.  Only she was in big girl undies and if she poop in them we made her sit (really more like standing) in for 10 minutes.  Took about a week.....but that was it, never any problems since.  She was pee & overnight potty trained since 23 months, the poop took 4 extra months.  But doing this exact thing was the ticket for us.  To each their own though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I try to bite my tongue, depending on who it is.  I will actually speak up more to perfect strangers!  I just started a new job, and I heard one co-worker talking to a new mom about putting the child to bed with a bottle "because they are not their permanent teeth anyway."   I had a hard time not telling her that no kid wants rotten teeth for that first decade of life either.  If they were my friends or even someone on the street, I would have said something.  However acting high and mighty when I'm on the bottom of the food chain was not something I wanted to do.
  • I bite my tongue, but some things I hear make my blood boil. Every time I see an infant carrier in the "seat" of a grocery cart, I want to correct the mother and let her know how dangerous that is. I'll never actually do it though. My "good" advice to someone might be taken the wrong way, and I wouldn't want a stranger correcting me. So I try to mind my own business.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageSteelCity44:
    Every time I see an infant carrier in the "seat" of a grocery cart, I want to correct the mother and let her know how dangerous that is. I'll never actually do it though.

Do you know how many times I am :this: close to saying something on this? Hey look at me, so you think I want to have my husband come grocery shopping with me bc we need 2 carts or do you think I want to get 10 things bc nothing else will fit in the cart?

I hate the  grovery cart thing. It seems everyone does it too where I live.

Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
  • imageTeamHayes:

imageSteelCity44:
    Every time I see an infant carrier in the "seat" of a grocery cart, I want to correct the mother and let her know how dangerous that is. I'll never actually do it though.

Do you know how many times I am :this: close to saying something on this? Hey look at me, so you think I want to have my husband come grocery shopping with me bc we need 2 carts or do you think I want to get 10 things bc nothing else will fit in the cart?

I hate the  grovery cart thing. It seems everyone does it too where I live.

I'm with you two on the grocery cart thing.

Most of the time, I bite my tongue too, unless someone is actually talking to me about it. There are some things I'm not comfortable with, but it's nothing I'd lable abuse or neglect.

TBH, OP, I might say something about letting kids sit in their dirty underwear as a lesson (if I knew the people) because shaming kids because they had accidents can be really psychologically damaging. If they were strangers I might just give them a look and shake my head later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The main reason WHY we let her sit in it was because she FULLY knew what she was doing, it was a game to her.....no accident.  She would run up to us and say "guess what......I pooped in my pants" and laugh.  We did this to show her it was NOT funny, nor a game.  And it worked!  Not saying it is for everyone, but for us, it worked like a charm.
  • imagekistjenn@yahoo.com:
    The main reason WHY we let her sit in it was because she FULLY knew what she was doing, it was a game to her.....no accident.  She would run up to us and say "guess what......I pooped in my pants" and laugh.  We did this to show her it was NOT funny, nor a game.  And it worked!  Not saying it is for everyone, but for us, it worked like a charm.

That I can understand. It's like my mom, who wasn't much of a spanker, once spanked my sister for having an accident on the floor--she had done it on purpose because of the new baby (me).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in the camp of minding my own business. I wouldn't take kindly to a stranger telling me what I need to do with my kids so I don't do it to others. I can shoot a wicked stank eye though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That definitely sounds like child abuse to me... I would have said something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"