February 2013 Moms

Is anyone having tubal ligation with C/S?

I am scheduled for c/s in less than 2w.  DH and I know for sure that we are done after we have our next DD.  We are older...I'll be 40 at the end of this year and DH will be 43.  We are not young and we know we will not be wanting to add more kids any later in life than we already are.  We were thinking of having DH have a vasectomy but I didn't realize I could have a tubal ligation (tubes tied) immediately following delivery while my c/s has taken place.  My OB said it's no big deal, no problems and only adds a couple of minutes onto OR time and there's no added time or pain to healing from C/S.  So I looked it up on the internet and found some people say otherwise.  Anyone having it done that can give me pros/cons?  Anyone know someone that had it done and everything was fine?  I don't want to add any complications but we are definitely done.  I like that we wouldn't have to spend any additional time or money for DH to get fixed if I can just have it done right then and there.  Just want to know if anyone can shed info on this procedure.

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is anyone having tubal ligation with C/S?

• I know someone that did that during her c/s as well. She had no additional problems/pain with healing.  

Sorry, I know I'm not that useful. lol. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom had it done after she had my youngest brother and had a very difficult recovery of course this was 12 years ago I'm sure things have changed..
  • Loading the player...
  • My best friend had it done during her second c/s. She said the healing might have been easier for the second one - but that could be because she labored for 60 hours before her first c/s. For her, adding the tubal was NBD, did not seem to increase pain / healing time or cause any problems.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know many people who have had it done and none of them had any issues whatsoever. I am hoping for a second VBAC with this baby, but if I end up with a c section it's already in my chart that I want a tubal with it.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are 100 percent sure that you never, for any reason want to be able to carry your own children without IVF then it shouldn't be a big deal. They are already in there during a much more invasive surgery. The tubal ligation doesn't really add any discomfort/recovery to it. I'm probably one of the few, or one of one, women on here who has had a tubal ligation. I did not have it during a csection though. The recovery was not difficult. I was back at work/school 3 days after a vaginal birth and TL.

I've also gone through the TL reversal process and if you have any thoughts that permanent sterilization is not for you then I suggest not doing it and letting your DH get the vascectomy. It's much easier to reverse and is less dangerous to reverse. I had 2 ectopics after my reversal and needed emergency surgery to remove a ruptured fallopian tube.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesararn2004:

If you are 100 percent sure that you never, for any reason want to be able to carry your own children without IVF then it shouldn't be a big deal. They are already in there during a much more invasive surgery. The tubal ligation doesn't really add any discomfort/recovery to it. I'm probably one of the few, or one of one, women on here who has had a tubal ligation. I did not have it during a csection though. The recovery was not difficult. I was back at work/school 3 days after a vaginal birth and TL.

I've also gone through the TL reversal process and if you have any thoughts that permanent sterilization is not for you then I suggest not doing it and letting your DH get the vascectomy. It's much easier to reverse and is less dangerous to reverse. I had 2 ectopics after my reversal and needed emergency surgery to remove a ruptured fallopian tube.

Thanks for your input.  I'm turning 40 this year and DH is going to be 43....we went through fertility issues and I found out I was pg with my first DD the day before starting IVF.  I understand.  With that said, there is no way I'm going into my early 40's and try to get pregnant again.  We have been very blessed with two and are thankful for that.  We are definitely done.  We are getting too old and I'm too tired!  No reversals will be tried so I guess it sounds like TL is the right way to go for us.

• Thank you everyone.  It sounds like what I read on the internet was probably not the norm.  I feel a little better after reading everyone's post to go ahead and go through with TL following delivery with my c/s.  Thank you everyone!!
  • I just had this done two weeks ago.

The TL took about 2 minutes total.  I wouldn't have even known they were doing it unless my doctor had asked me 10 times if I was sure, even as he was doing the procedure.  ;-)

There was a teensy bit more pain than my two previous c/s, but honestly, if I didn't know that it was due to the TL, I would have thought it was just a little more pain because each c/s is different.  I had some left side pinching pain and my doc told me that was from the TL.  Other than that, it was no big deal at all. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"