Parenting

no skittles for poor people...

what about cigarettes?

Not at all that the government pays for cigarettes but if someone is making barely enough to get by & happen to be on assistance how do you feel about them using the money they do earn to buy cigarettes? Is it total b.s. or hey, everyone has a vise and deserves a little treat?

Re: no skittles for poor people...

• Can they roll their own cigarettes with that vise?
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • imageJ&A2008:
    Can they roll their own cigarettes with that vise?

yes, rolling their own is an option... But the situation I'm thinking about there was a pack of cig's involved, so I know that's not this person's case.

But yes, they could roll their own.

• Loading the player...
  • imagechapski:

imageJ&A2008:

yes, rolling their own is an option... But the situation I'm thinking about there was a pack of cig's involved, so I know that's not this person's case.

But yes, they could roll their own.

It was a joke.  I'm really not sure how useful a vise would be in rolling cigarettes.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I'm not a smoker and neither is anyone in my household, so I have no dog in this fight, but I'm going to say... none of our business. Poverty is stressful and smoking is a known response to stress. It's cheaper than therapy, man. 

Of course, I am "EVERYTHING FOR POOR PEOPLE" so, whatever.  

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • imageEllaHella:

Or alcohol, the lottery, potato chips (junk food), ammo...?

no... I'm just thinking cig's more so because of the health/medical (yeah, I guess junk food isn't good for your health but I wasn't thinking about that.)

• imageNastyAnnie:

I'm not a smoker and neither is anyone in my household, so I have no dog in this fight, but I'm going to say... none of our business. Poverty is stressful and smoking is a known response to stress. It's cheaper than therapy, man

Of course, I am "EVERYTHING FOR POOR PEOPLE" so, whatever.  

lol. good point.

geez, but not much, from what I've heard smokes are like $8-9 a pack now (here.. .I know they are way higher elsewhere)

• Welfare and cigs are paired up quite often here. I guess 12 to 15 bucks a pack is the governments way of getting their money back.
  • I think anyone of any socioeconomic status is a moron if they are buying cigarettes
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerobinsokj:
    I think anyone of any socioeconomic status is a moron if they are buying cigarettes

This is a given. Lawl.  

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • ok. I will set aside my judgey eyes as you raise good points.

A lady came in to get paperwork she needed to take to the office regarding her assistance. Her and her DH smoke a lot, like they've been in here a few times and take turns, or will both go out for smoke breaks durning the 10-15 mins they are in my office... Anyway, she was complaining the lady she has to go see is at the "far away place" and they better pay for her gas. I was just thinking, if you cut back on your cig's, it'd surely pay for your few miles in gas.

But I stand corrected. Their money/their problem(yes, because smoking is a problem) and coming from a former smoker, I do know how hard it is to quite/when life gets tuff all I wanna do is smoke.

• imagerobinsokj:
    I think anyone of any socioeconomic status is a moron if they are buying cigarettes

Cigarettes can be very helpful to some people.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Wait, it's not like they are using the government's dime to buy cigs. Whatever money comes from assistance is in the form of a link card and I don't think you can use it for smokes. So, what's there to debate?
  • imageEVA116:

imagerobinsokj:

Well, if you've got a hankering for lung cancer, I suppose you're correct

• imageshanado:
    Wait, it's not like they are using the government's dime to buy cigs. Whatever money comes from assistance is in the form of a link card and I don't think you can use it for smokes. So, what's there to debate?
    Okay, I re read your post, but still, it's really nobody's business what somebody spends their money on.
  • imagerobinsokj:
    imageEVA116:

imagerobinsokj:

Well, if you've got a hankering for lung cancer, I suppose you're correct

Eh, there is reason people start, choose to quit, choose not to quit, when they quit, etc. I guess I just hate when people rag on smokers. It's like saying an overweight person is a moron.

• imageLoisLane23:
    imageMrsSkull1107:

Do I think they are making a smart choice? Heck, no. Smoking is terrible for you.

But it's their choice to make. They made the money, they get to spend it.

Well, some could argue that they don't actually make the money if they
    are living solely on government
    funding.

Just playing devil's advocate.

But, you can't buy them with the government's money, so still nothing to debate here.
  • It is no ones business to tell them how to spend their money.  While I might not agree with smoking where do you draw the line?  If I happened to be a vegetarian would I start arguing they shouldn't be allowed to buy chicken with their money?
  • imageATMmom324:
    It is no ones business to tell them how to spend their money.  While I might not agree with smoking where do you draw the line?  If I happened to be a vegetarian would I start arguing they shouldn't be allowed to buy chicken with their money?

lolwut

• imageLoisLane23:

imageATMmom324:
    It is no ones business to tell them how to spend their money.  While I might not agree with smoking where do you draw the line?  If I happened to be a vegetarian would I start arguing they shouldn't be allowed to buy chicken with their money?

omg

• This reaffirms my gratefullness for no longer smoking.  I loved my cigarettes, like, loooooved them.  After I quit, I took the money I spent on cigarettes each month and indulged in a massage and pedicure each month. I felt like a very relaxed genius.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imageMrsSkull1107:
    Did some stuff get deleted in this thread or am I just losing my mind?I thought about having a glass of wine at lunch but I didn't so I'm sure I'm not drunk.Like wasn't there something about dispensaries?nbsp; ETA: Maybe I am drunk.
    That's on the Rush Limbaugh thread.
    Whoops.nbsp;Maybe now if I
    think about wine, it's like I've
    consumed it???
    if that were the case then I'd be drunk every minute of the day....Thinking it is believing it. That's a saying, right?
  • imagemissyleaferg:
    This reaffirms my gratefullness for no longer smoking.  I loved my cigarettes, like, loooooved them.  After I quit, I took the money I spent on cigarettes each month and indulged in a massage and pedicure each month. I felt like a very relaxed genius.

you are. you are a relaxed genius with a wonderful happy dancing siggy.

(I'm a newly quite smoker, also loved my cigs... but I too am starting to feel a little bit smarterWink ::starts till for massage:: )

• imageJ&A2008:

ISWYDT

"To me, you are perfect."

• imagechapski:

imagemissyleaferg:
    This reaffirms my gratefullness for no longer smoking.  I loved my cigarettes, like, loooooved them.  After I quit, I took the money I spent on cigarettes each month and indulged in a massage and pedicure each month. I felt like a very relaxed genius.

you are. you are a relaxed genius with a wonderful happy dancing siggy.

(I'm a newly quite smoker, also loved my cigs... but I too am starting to feel a little bit smarterWink ::starts till for massage:: )

Thanks, lady Wink  I just celebrated 2 years smoke free and spent the former 16 years with my Camels.  Keep on keepin' on- and get your rub on! 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imageKJmashup:

imageJ&A2008:

ISWYDT

WinkStick out tongue

• imageEVA116:

imagerobinsokj:

DH smokes.  He has tried to quit several times.  He can't quit.  Why can't he quit you ask?  He can't quit because the nicotine controls his ADD.

His Dr, refuses to give him ADD meds, she thinks it's a phyc's job to do that but he psycs he called all told him he had to go to his regular Dr.  If he can't control his ADD, he can't do his job, if he can't do his job, he doesn't get paid, if he doesn't get paid.....you get the point.

I absolutely HATE the fact that he smokes.  It is $60 a week out of our beyond tight budget.  It is unhealthy.  It stinks.  It is gross.  At this point it is needed.

(let the flaming begin)

The Book of Love Has Music in it

• imagemsd-rdg:
    imageEVA116:

imagerobinsokj:

DH smokes.  He has tried to quit several times.  He can't quit.  Why can't he quit you ask?  He can't quit because the nicotine controls his ADD.

His Dr, refuses to give him ADD meds, she thinks it's a phyc's job to do that but he psycs he called all told him he had to go to his regular Dr.  If he can't control his ADD, he can't do his job, if he can't do his job, he doesn't get paid, if he doesn't get paid.....you get the point.

I absolutely HATE the fact that he smokes.  It is $60 a week out of our beyond tight budget.  It is unhealthy.  It stinks.  It is gross.  At this point it is needed.

(let the flaming begin)

perhaps new doctors are in order.  

• imageEllaHella:
    imagemsd-rdg:
    imageEVA116:

His Dr, refuses to give him ADD meds, she thinks it's a phyc's job to do that but he psycs he called all told him he had to go to his regular Dr.

(let the flaming begin)

Has he considered a new doctor? 

Yes

um, I've switched doctors for less.

• imageEllaHella:
    I know it isn't always possible to switch doctors due to location/availability and insurance.  But if it is possible and he isn't then he is just looking for an excuse to smoke, imo.

With our craptastic insurance, it is difficult to get a new Dr.  

I agree there are other nicotine options (patch/gum).  He says the gum is gross and he really doesn't like gum anyway.  He also is anti-patch, I don't know why.  I agree smoking is not a good option in this situation, but as a non-smoker, I can't really tell him how to go about quitting or whatever.  It is easy for a non-smoker, especially a never smoked non-smoker to say just quit, use the patch, or whatever.  For the smoker it isn't that easy.

• imagemsd-rdg:

imageEllaHella:
    I know it isn't always possible to switch doctors due to location/availability and insurance.  But if it is possible and he isn't then he is just looking for an excuse to smoke, imo.

I agree there are other nicotine options (patch/gum).  He says the gum is gross and he really doesn't like gum anyway.  He also is anti-patch, I don't know why.  I agree smoking is not a good option in this situation, but as a non-smoker, I can't really tell him how to go about quitting or whatever.  It is easy for a non-smoker, especially a never smoked non-smoker to say just quit, use the patch, or whatever.  For the smoker it isn't that easy.

So, is your head in the sand completely or are you aware that these are just excuses so he can smoke?

• imagemsd-rdg:

imageEllaHella:

This has to be MUD, I can't imagine being a non-smoker living with a smoker (who is literally smoking away our money) and just being like "whatever"  

Options

1.  New doctor--even with "craptastic insurance" there is always more then one choice

2.  Have the old doctor prescribe something like Chantix or other remedies to stop smoking

3.  Sit down and have a heart to heart with your spouse about smoking--you don't want him to die, he's spending a lot of money on it, etc.  Find ways together to make the problem better.

Honestly-- I think he just wants to keep smoking there are lots of nicotine substitutes 

ETA:  not only because I'm really anti-smoking but I noticed you have a little kid--I can't imagine having a dad that smells like an ashtray (even if he smokes outside) is awesome for him.  Think of your kid.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemsd-rdg:
    imageEVA116:

imagerobinsokj:

(let the flaming begin)

• imagerobinsokj:
    imagemsd-rdg:

imageEllaHella:

So, is your head in the sand completely or are you aware that these are just excuses so he can smoke?

The patch is messed up. It can mess with your head. I have panic and anxiety and that thing was terrible. The gum is gross and by no means helps. He is not coming up with excuses. He is saying he has ADD and it helps him....and I am sure it does. It helped me with PPD and my anxiety.

He might quit one day but for now this is what helps his mental health.

• imageEVA116:
    imagerobinsokj:
    imagemsd-rdg:

imageEllaHella:

The patch is messed up. It can mess with your head. I have panic and anxiety and that thing was terrible. The gum is gross and by no means helps. He is not coming up with excuses. He is saying he has ADD and it helps him....and I am sure it does. It helped me with PPD and my anxiety.

Then you are using the wrong dosage of patch/gum, obviously to high--you realize it's the same drug you are getting in your cigs right?  

He's is coming up with excuses--there are better ways to deal with ADD then to be a smoker.    Glad it "helped" with your PPD and your anxiety to bad you don't respect your kid enough to find an alternate solution and instead risk your health (and depending on where you smoke) their health.  

Need "mental health" help--go see a doctor, go to therapy, get a game plan together.  SO many more options then spending 60$ every week on cigarettes.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Well, hey, unless they're rolling their own, they're paying like $3.40 tax on a pack of cigarettes here so shouldn't people be happy that money is going back to the gov't? :P
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageEVA116:
    imagerobinsokj:
    imagemsd-rdg:

imageEllaHella:

Thank you!

No this is not MUD. 

No I am not an idiot who doesn't know he "want's to smoke." 

However, our insurance is crappy, it is hard to find a Dr.  His Dr, does not want to prescribe him chantex (sp?) or ridilin (sp?) or any other ADD type drug.  She does not believe she is the one supposed to do that, she thinks that ADD is a "mental health" issue hence he needs to see a shrink.  All the shrinks he has called to get appointments to get seen/drugs have told him the it is not a "mental health" issue and they won't see him for it.  He is basically stuck between doctors that don't want to help him.

• imagemsd-rdg:
    imageEVA116:
    imagerobinsokj:
    imagemsd-rdg:

imageEllaHella:

Thank you!

No this is not MUD. 

However, our insurance is crappy, it is hard to find a Dr.  His Dr, does not want to prescribe him chantex (sp?) or ridilin (sp?) or any other ADD type drug.  She does not believe she is the one supposed to do that, she thinks that ADD is a "mental health" issue hence he needs to see a shrink.  All the shrinks he has called to get appointments to get seen/drugs have told him the it is not a "mental health" issue and they won't see him for it.  He is basically stuck between doctors that don't want to help him.

1) new doctor

2) Rx for ADD medication

3) stop smoking by whatever means necessary--no cop-outs

4) repeat as needed

• imagemsd-rdg:
    imageEVA116:
    imagerobinsokj:
    imagemsd-rdg:

imageEllaHella:

Thank you!

No this is not MUD. 

Let me help you then, what insurance do you go through and what area do you live in.  I would gladly help someone find another doctor.  I mean this sincerely.

Otherwise blaming crappy insurance is a cop out.  I have seen crappy insurances, I have never seen an insurance only cover one doctor.  But it doesn't seem like either one of you want to put in the effort to find an alternative.   

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Maybe Reallynervous should take up smoking. Sheesh, simmer down na.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"