Breastfeeding

Plugged duct or mastitis :(

I don't think it is mastitis yet as my fever is still low grade (100.1), but I feel awful. My head is all fuzzy and I'm just achey.  I've been trying to nurse frequently (which I feel is normal for us anyway about every 2 hours), but having a little difficulty as DD usually only nurses one side. All that I am reading say to nurse the affected side first, but then she wouldn't be taking any on the other side.  I've been applying heat with a rice bag and also massaging. I BF my DS for 18 months with no problems at all, so this has thrown me off a bit.  Anybody have any great advice for getting myself better and hopefully avoiding antibiotics?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Plugged duct or mastitis :(

• I never ran a fever with my plugged duct, but I put scalding hot rags on it while DS nursed on that side (being careful not to let the rag touch him). Hope you feel relief soon.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Follow up question- DD has been sleeping amazing at night (7-10 hour stretch). I hate to do anything to change that, but would you wake her up to feed?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure about that. My DS never slept that long at your DD's age. I would prob. say let her sleep, but obviously you should pump to keep your supply up.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm at the doc right now b/c I think I have mastitis. I have the red patchiness on the breast along with soreness, but no fever or achy feeling. I guess I'll see soon what's going on!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How long does your DD nurse? Try to get half a session in on each side during a feeding (exp. 15 minutes on affected side, 15 minutes on other side). Another option is to pump on the side she is not feeding on. (I would do this a lot as I had ridiculous let down and overproduction anyways... I would spray everywhere for like 5 minutes! Better to catch all that precious gold than have it end up on a washcloth!) Hot showers always helped me, massage your breasts while you are in there and really try to work on unclogging any blocked ducts.

I don't know how safe this would be, but you could try massaging a tiny amount of castor oil on the area that is clogged. It would probably get things moving fast! You could even do it right before a hot shower and see how it works.

• I'm strictly pumping and I get plugged ducts often. I've tried massaging and warm pads to no avail. The only thing that works is "unplugging the ducts" myself. After a full pumping session (or in your case, after a feeding), look at your nipple and see if there is a small white "blister" or a white pin point dot that doesn't seem to wipe away like other milk. This is dried milk that's plugging the duct opening. Use a clean needle and swipe the tip over the blister to remove it (similar to removing a splinter). After removing the blister, clear milk should come squirting out and you will feel relief immediately. I hope this helps you prevent further plugged ducts.

You should also try pumping the side your baby doesn't nurse on. You can freeze the milk for future use. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"