Parenting

Teen Mom Denied Right to Breast Feed

Hi Ladies

I thought you would be interested in this.

A teen mom who attends her local public high school is not being allowed time to pump her breast milk.  This is a HUGE deal and makes me SO angry! She is trying to be a good mother by finishing high school AND wants to give her child the best food she can.

Here is the article...(I tried to write emails to the school officials but they shut off their Facebook and emails bc of all the people like me who are beyond upset)

https://www.mommatraumablog.com/1/post/2013/01/delaware-teen-mom-denied-breastfeeding-accommodations.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teen Mom Denied Right to Breast Feed

• We may not be getting the full story from "mommatramuablog"  I don't see this reported anywhere else.....
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was going to say that too...I think we're missing a lot to this story, like the school's side of the argument.
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • imageReallynervous83:
    We may not be getting the full story from "mommatramuablog"  I don't see this reported anywhere else.....

It was on a local radio station:

https://www.delaware1059.com/blog/post.php?postid=54

And what full story do you need?  She has a son, she wants to pump milk. The law states that must be accommodated, end of story. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I think there has to be more to the story. Where did she want to pump? I mean if she wanted to do it in class I could see why they had a problem. I know you should have the right to feed and pump wherever, but can you imagine if she pulled out her boob in the middle if class? I would afraid she would be oogled by all the teen boys in the class. Lets face it teen boys can't dechiper between pumping to feed your baby and oh hey a BOOB!!!
  • Just curious, what explanation could the school possibly have that makes this okay?
  • imageEllaHella:
    Local News Talk Radio did an interview.nbsp; Took 3 seconds to google.
    nbsp;
    nbsp;
    nbsp;

We can always count on EllaHella to do the research legwork! ..Insert smiling emoticon here..
    Thanks!
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • At my high school there were plenty of scheduled breaks for non pumpers. Plus 9 am to noon is only 3 hours. I went 3 hours between pumping when I SAH. Is she not allowed to pump at lunch and breaks? Do American schools not have breaks? Is is a solid 4 hours of class?
  • imagepepomntpat:

imageReallynervous83:
    We may not be getting the full story from "mommatramuablog"  I don't see this reported anywhere else.....

It was on a local radio station:

And what full story do you need?  She has a son, she wants to pump milk. The law states that must be accommodated, end of story. 

Yep.

This is my siggy. Love it.

• imageoverture:
    Just curious, what explanation could the school possibly have that makes this okay?

That's my thought too but in the very limited amount that I've read on this, I've yet to see any statement from the school. The school has no case IMO.
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • I don't know because we haven't heard the school's side of the story.  Did they originally let and find out that she was in a private room doing something else?  Did she insist on missing part of every class in order to "pump"  Who knows what the reasoning is, but I like to hear both sides before I rush to judgment.

The 3 seconds to google.  I didn't pull up the interview on the radio station nor can I hear it on my computer.  Can you link me to any local newspapers etc. besides the "mommatramua" blog which have covered it? 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • and I'm not saying that they have a leg to stand on--I simply don't know.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageEllaHella:

Local News Talk Radio did an interview.  Took 3 seconds to google.

Which is giving the same side of the story as the blog. I want to her the school's side.

And no, labor laws do not apply to a student. That's a slipperly slope we don't need to get anywhere near.

agreed.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageEllaHella:

Local News Talk Radio did an interview.  Took 3 seconds to google.

Which is giving the same side of the story as the blog. I want to her the school's side.

And no, labor laws do not apply to a student. That's a slipperly slope we don't need to get anywhere near.

Labor laws don't, but public accommodation laws do.  If she is allowed in school which is a building that serves the public, she is allowed to nurse or pump in that school.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageGhostMonkey:

imageHesterlicious:
    At my high school there were plenty of scheduled breaks for non pumpers. Plus 9 am to noon is only 3 hours. I went 3 hours between pumping when I SAH. Is she not allowed to pump at lunch and breaks? Do American schools not have breaks? Is is a solid 4 hours of class?

We had 90 seconds between classes.

Ah we give "recess" all the way through high school. We had a 15 minute break in the AM and PM.  Which is not a ton of time to pump but 7 hour school days with a 45 minute lunch in the middle would have been all I needed.

• Is this not a pregnancy-related condition that deserves protection under title ix?
  • This makes me stabby

Found this statement from the school doctor I think: https://spartansuper.blogspot.com/  

• imageGhostMonkey:

imageHesterlicious:
    At my high school there were plenty of scheduled breaks for non pumpers. Plus 9 am to noon is only 3 hours. I went 3 hours between pumping when I SAH. Is she not allowed to pump at lunch and breaks? Do American schools not have breaks? Is is a solid 4 hours of class?

But lunch no? Students don't get a lunch?

• imageGhostMonkey:
    imageHesterlicious:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageHesterlicious:

Ah we give "recess" all the way through high school. We had a 15 minute break in the AM and PM.  Which is not a ton of time to pump but 7 hour school days with a 45 minute lunch in the middle would have been all I needed.

Yeah, we got a 25 minute lunch.

Sorry your school sucked.  Kids took the 15 minutes for smoke breaks.

Oh wait no My school sucked more. I'm sad that my kid might have to end up going there.

• imageByeBabyBunting:

This makes me stabby

Found this statement from the school doctor I think: https://spartansuper.blogspot.com/  

So it sounds like this is school blog spot.  I'm not sure who the poster is (I didn't read it carefully enough), but it would seem from this post that she has the ability to breast pump at school--as long as she brings a cooler and a pump.

I however wasn't sure about the last paragraph which MAY seem to indicate that she would have to change schools (i don't know if Camden is a different school), but that may just be if she wants to have her baby with her throughout the day.  

ETA:  looks like it was posted by the superintendent  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageHilarityEnsued:
    imageHesterlicious:

Well now I feel very sad that recess was cut out after middle school.

But I do agree that I'd like to hear the other sides of this story.  And I also agree with Hester that the natural breaks in school would allow a good amount of time.  Does she want to be excused from class every 90 minutes to pump or something?

I teach at a high school in Canada. There are no scheduled breaks between classes. Teachers generally expect 5 min travel time. But students certainly have a break for lunch which could be after 2.5 hrs or 4 hrs depending on their schedule.

• https://spartansuper.blogspot.com/

Statement from that blog:

"Due to privacy regulations we cannot comment on the specifics of a 15 year old student that has received a lot of media attention. But, should a student ask to pump breast milk at school, this is what our response would be.

Lake Forest High School has many female staff members who have personal experience with breast feeding their own children and managing that goal after returning to work. They are wonderful resources for teen moms wishing to do the same. We encourage any teen mom to seek their advice.

We have no specially designed room for that purpose but we would do our best to accommodate that student?s request. The student would be responsible for providing her own cooler for storage. Any refrigerators in school are in use for other purposes. To use them to also store a student?s pumped breast milk would risk contamination.

Our teen moms have access to the DAPI program in Camden which is specifically designed to support pregnant teens. There they can take their classes, take their baby with them, breast feed and pump whenever necessary
    . A student who chooses to leave that environment and return to regular school also chooses to leave behind a certain level of support"

Angry 

No.  She should not have to change f*cking schools because of this.

Reasonable accommodation is not that hard.  They have nowhere she can pump?  So they have no lactation room for staff?

I don't get why anyone is defending this.

• imageoverture:

https://spartansuper.blogspot.com/

"Due to privacy regulations we cannot comment on the specifics of a 15 year old student that has received a lot of media attention. But, should a student ask to pump breast milk at school, this is what our response would be.

Lake Forest High School has many female staff members who have personal experience with breast feeding their own children and managing that goal after returning to work. They are wonderful resources for teen moms wishing to do the same. We encourage any teen mom to seek their advice.

We have no specially designed room for that purpose but we would do our best to accommodate that student?s request. The student would be responsible for providing her own cooler for storage. Any refrigerators in school are in use for other purposes. To use them to also store a student?s pumped breast milk would risk contamination.

Our teen moms have access to the DAPI program in Camden which is specifically designed to support pregnant teens. There they can take their classes, take their baby with them, breast feed and pump whenever necessary
    . A student who chooses to leave that environment and return to regular school also chooses to leave behind a certain level of support"

Angry 

Reasonable accommodation is not that hard.  They have nowhere she can pump?  So they have no lactation room for staff?

It's not clear from the blog post that she has to change schools.  They don't say that, in fact it specifically states that AT LAKE FOREST they would accommodate her.  

I think, the level of support she loses is being able to bring her baby with her and having an environment designed for students with babies who are finishing school while being moms.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageoverture:
    https://spartansuper.blogspot.com/Statement from that blog:nbsp;"Due to privacy regulations we cannot comment on the specifics of a 15
    year old student that has received a lot of media attention. But, should
    a student ask to pump breast milk at school, this is what our response
    would be.

Lake Forest High School has many female staff members who have personal
    experience with breast feeding their own children and managing that goal
    after returning to work. They are wonderful resources for teen moms
    wishing to do the same. We encourage any teen mom to seek their advice.

We have no specially designed room for that purpose but we would do our
    best to accommodate that students request. The student would be
    responsible for providing her own cooler for storage. Any refrigerators
    in school are in use for other purposes. To use them to also store a
    students pumped breast milk would risk contamination.

Our teen moms have access to the DAPI program in Camden which is
    specifically designed to support pregnant teens. There they can take
    their classes, take their baby with them, breast feed and pump whenever
    necessary. A student who chooses to leave that environment and return to
    regular school also chooses to leave behind a certain level of support"nbsp;nbsp;[:]nbsp;No.nbsp; She should not have to change fcking schools because of this.Reasonable accommodation is not that hard.nbsp; They have nowhere she can pump?nbsp; So they have no lactation room for staff?I don't get why anyone is defending this.

Amen, sister.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• So the school is concerned about the girl being a target of bullying, but they want to make her carry a cooler full of breastmilk around with her all day?
  • It sounds like when the school realized that people were going to go BSC over this they changed their tune. I don't doubt that at first they told her no, and I bet that even if they publicly say yes, they will still make it difficult for her every step of the way. I don't think she should have to change schools either, but being in a stressful environment won't be helpful for her or her baby. 

• imagemissyleaferg:
    imageoverture:
    https://spartansuper.blogspot.com/Statement from that blog:nbsp;"Due to privacy regulations we cannot comment on the specifics of a 15 year old student that has received a lot of media attention. But, should a student ask to pump breast milk at school, this is what our response would be. Lake Forest High School has many female staff members who have personal experience with breast feeding their own children and managing that goal after returning to work. They are wonderful resources for teen moms wishing to do the same. We encourage any teen mom to seek their advice. We have no specially designed room for that purpose but we would do our best to accommodate that students request. The student would be responsible for providing her own cooler for storage. Any refrigerators in school are in use for other purposes. To use them to also store a students pumped breast milk would risk contamination. Our teen moms have access to the DAPI program in Camden which is specifically designed to support pregnant teens. There they can take their classes, take their baby with them, breast feed and pump whenever necessary. A student who chooses to leave that environment and return to regular school also chooses to leave behind a certain level of support"nbsp;nbsp;[:]nbsp;No.nbsp; She should not have to change fcking schools because of this.Reasonable accommodation is not that hard.nbsp; They have nowhere she can pump?nbsp; So they have no lactation room for staff?I don't get why anyone is defending this.
    Amen, sister.

preach it sister ! image

• imageGhostMonkey:
    imageHesterlicious:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageHesterlicious:

20 minutes in our area now and definitely no other breaks

Yeah, we got a 25 minute lunch.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageReallynervous83:
    imageoverture:

Angry 

It's not clear from the blog post that she has to change schools.  They don't say that, in fact it specifically states that AT LAKE FOREST they would accommodate her.  

I think, the level of support she loses is being able to bring her baby with her and having an environment designed for students with babies who are finishing school while being moms.  

This.

And they are not required to have a designed lactation room. They are required to provide access to a private room other than a bathroom to employees wishing to pump. That time is unpaid and must be a reasonable amount of time, though you are off the clock, so it's your own check you are hurting.

And yes, they do need to make that option available to students. I want to know what princess's demands are. I have a feeling the 15 year old isn't being realistic about things and trying to milk it for all it's worth. Ha.

This....and that's what happens when you only know one side of the story.  Granted, since the school has THREE different locations for teen moms it could be they were caught off guard at her not wanting to go into an environment where it revolves around her condition (such as she can even bring her child in).  Granted, I wouldn't want to change school either (and it may just have taken the school a moment to catch up with this, especially if she was expecting the exact same level given at the other locations) 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imageReallynervous83:
    imageoverture:

Angry 

This.

And they are not required to have a designed lactation room. They are required to provide access to a private room other than a bathroom to employees wishing to pump. That time is unpaid and must be a reasonable amount of time, though you are off the clock, so it's your own check you are hurting.

And yes, they do need to make that option available to students. I want to know what princess's demands are. I have a feeling the 15 year old isn't being realistic about things and trying to milk it for all it's worth. Ha.

Of course it is going to be all her fault. No way the school would ever be unreasonable with a snap decision, "No, we've never done that, so we don't do that." The snarkiness of the superintendent's blog post suggests to me that he is feeling defensive. Because she wants to go to a normal school, she is giving up support. Really?

Let's just put scarlet letters on all the teen moms. You made your bed, now go lay in it.  Unless you do it this way, we won't support you. 

• I think the school is spending more time and energy making back pedaling statements now than it would have taken to just find an empty room for her to use and just allowed her to put her bm cooler in the faculty fridge. I put my pumped bm storage bottles in a small cooler in our break room fridge(at work), it took up little space and no one ever knew there was bm in it. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• How can the school backpedal?  They haven't made any statements except the statements that we have seen/heard second hand from the student and the mom.  

We have NO idea what her demands were, we have NO idea what was said.  

As far as keeping it in a refrigerator at the school--we weren't allowed to do this with our school lunches?  Really how hard is it to through a couple of ice packs in and keep it in her locker?  This is what I did at work (exchange desk drawer for locker).   

ETA: and maybe his post was "snarky" because he got 5 million emails/calls etc. without anyone knowing what the full story was.  So yeah if I had to reexplain every five mins what actually took place vs. what someone said took place I might be a little snarky too.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageoverture:

Angry 

Actually, I understand where the school district is coming from in saying that a student who chooses not to attend the specialized school for teen mothers is going to lose a certain amount of support. They're not saying that she cannot pump at Lake Forest. They're just saying that if she were attending the specialized school that they've provided for teen mothers (which is not something that all school districts have) then she's going to lose a certain level of support.

Most schools do not have a lactation room for staff because teachers typically have a private classroom with a door that locks. As a teacher, I've seen many breastfeeding mothers be successful at pumping during the school day. They have a do not disturb sign they put on their classroom door and then they lock the door, so as to stay more private.

• Just as a separate statement:

Let's not forget that a school district does not have to provide accomodations for a teem mom. I am glad that there are school districts that do provide accomodations (my own child attends the school district's daycare, along with several student babies), but it's not something that used to be or has to be provided. I feel that, in some ways, these accomodations have made it more popular to have a baby in high school. When you make things easy, you make things more popular. I wouldn't want to take the accomodations away from the teen moms, but I can't help but wonder if making it so easy makes it more tempting.

• imageReallynervous83:

How can the school backpedal?  They haven't made any statements except the statements that we have seen/heard second hand from the student and the mom.  

We have NO idea what her demands were, we have NO idea what was said.  

As far as keeping it in a refrigerator at the school--we weren't allowed to do this with our school lunches?  Really how hard is it to through a couple of ice packs in and keep it in her locker?  This is what I did at work (exchange desk drawer for locker).   

ETA: and maybe his post was "snarky" because he got 5 million emails/calls etc. without anyone knowing what the full story was.  So yeah if I had to reexplain every five mins what actually took place vs. what someone said took place I might be a little snarky too.  

Yes

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageAbinormal:

Just as a separate statement:

Let's not forget that a school district does not have to provide accomodations for a teem mom. I am glad that there are school districts that do provide accomodations (my own child attends the school district's daycare, along with several student babies), but it's not something that used to be or has to be provided. I feel that, in some ways, these accomodations have made it more popular to have a baby in high school. When you make things easy, you make things more popular. I wouldn't want to take the accomodations away from the teen moms, but I can't help but wonder if making it so easy makes it more tempting.

I hear this argument, but at the same time I am surprisingly pro-breastfeeding.

Not knowing the whole story (a blog is not a reliable source) I would say that the mom should be able to figure out pumping during the school day.  Feed/pump before school; pump at lunch, leave 10 minutes early from a class if need be to pump once or even twice a day.  Cooler in the locker for the milk and presto.

Teen mom maybe needs to know that it is not going to be easy and that the world does not have to make every accomodation, but bending a bit for a while on a case by case basis might be the best course of action.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imagesynchrosally:
    imageGhostMonkey:

imageHesterlicious:

But lunch no? Students don't get a lunch?

Our school was 25 minutes for lunch and we had 3 minutes to get from class to class, no breaks otherwise.

• imageridesbuttons:
    imageAbinormal:

I hear this argument, but at the same time I am surprisingly pro-breastfeeding.

Not knowing the whole story (a blog is not a reliable source) I would say that the mom should be able to figure out pumping during the school day.  Feed/pump before school; pump at lunch, leave 10 minutes early from a class if need be to pump once or even twice a day.  Cooler in the locker for the milk and presto.

Teen mom maybe needs to know that it is not going to be easy and that the world does not have to make every accomodation, but bending a bit for a while on a case by case basis might be the best course of action.

I do think that any school, regardless of their "support" for teen mothers, should make accomodations for a breastfeeding teen who needs to pump. I believe it would fall into the same category as any other medical need.

• imageAbinormal:

Actually, not having accommodations makes it more likely a teen mom will drop out. I don't think it makes it more tempting, just more likely for them to stay in school. 

• when I posted this IDK it was gonna blow up so big - but yeah - Its interesting hearing all of these different views and ideas. One of the many reasons that I <3 the bump! Yes

• imageGhostMonkey:

I am not 100% against that. They don't need to be shunned or sent off to never be heard from again, but welcome to being an adult. It involves making choices. Some of them aren't fun. Everyone else isn't required to bend over backward to meet your every demand because you had a kid at 15.

Yes, asking for a place to pump is "every demand."  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"