2nd Trimester

claustrophobic

ok this might be a very odd question... but its one i cant stop thinking about....

i am calustrophobic... i would say not mild, but not extreme either. I have only panicked maybe a handful of times in my 28 years of life. Some examples of things that i cant stand- i can't wear a coat if i have long sleeved shirts on when driving in the car majority of the time, mainly if i am driving or after having wear the coat for a long period of time. So this brings me to what i have been thinking about- is this going to get passed on to my baby? I am afraid it will. Tongue Tied

Re: claustrophobic

• I have never heard of fears being genetic...
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • I think this boils down to the whole nature vs. nurture topic. If you show your baby these behaviors on a regular basis, they will probably pick up the behavior whether or not it is a fear/phobia/discomfort, whichever. Since you're mindful of it though, you'll know when to sorta hide it or not. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You know, I honestly used to believe it was nurture, not nature. But my grandmother is extremely claustrophobic, and I am slightly. I believed her behaviors caused me to pick up on it as a child. However, my daughter is showing signs of being extremely claustrophobic. She freaks out when we hold her too tight, cannot stand being held down for a long diaper change, HATES dark or small rooms, is social but gets nervous around large crowds of people; the signs go on and on. As far as I know, I cannot think of a time she's ever seen me freak out from claustrophobia, and she's not around my grandmother often. Besides, she's been exhibiting these behaviors since around 3-4 months. I'm starting to reevaluate whether it's truly nurture, or if genetics might possibly have something small to do with it. So who knows? If it happens, it happens, and you can teach your baby coping skills as he/she grows up from your own experience.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHaley.Beth:
    You know, I honestly used to believe it was nurture, not nature. But my grandmother is extremely claustrophobic, and I am slightly. I believed her behaviors caused me to pick up on it as a child. However, my daughter is showing signs of being extremely claustrophobic. She freaks out when we hold her too tight, cannot stand being held down for a long diaper change, HATES dark or small rooms, is social but gets nervous around large crowds of people; the signs go on and on. As far as I know, I cannot think of a time she's ever seen me freak out from claustrophobia, and she's not around my grandmother often. Besides, she's been exhibiting these behaviors since around 3-4 months. I'm starting to reevaluate whether it's truly nurture, or if genetics might possibly have something small to do with it. So who knows? If it happens, it happens, and you can teach your baby coping skills as he/she grows up from your own experience.

I'm just going to caution you to be mindful of applying your fears to her.  What you've described are things that annoy or frighten LOTS of kids, yet you say she's showing signs of "extreme" claustrophobia.  I wouldn't call it more that normal behavior but because you're hyper sensitive to it,  you're viewing it through that lens, kwim? 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:

imageHaley.Beth:
    You know, I honestly used to believe it was nurture, not nature. But my grandmother is extremely claustrophobic, and I am slightly. I believed her behaviors caused me to pick up on it as a child. However, my daughter is showing signs of being extremely claustrophobic. She freaks out when we hold her too tight, cannot stand being held down for a long diaper change, HATES dark or small rooms, is social but gets nervous around large crowds of people; the signs go on and on. As far as I know, I cannot think of a time she's ever seen me freak out from claustrophobia, and she's not around my grandmother often. Besides, she's been exhibiting these behaviors since around 3-4 months. I'm starting to reevaluate whether it's truly nurture, or if genetics might possibly have something small to do with it. So who knows? If it happens, it happens, and you can teach your baby coping skills as he/she grows up from your own experience.

I'm just going to caution you to be mindful of applying your fears to her.  What you've described are things that annoy or frighten LOTS of kids, yet you say she's showing signs of "extreme" claustrophobia.  I wouldn't call it more that normal behavior but because you're hyper sensitive to it,  you're viewing it through that lens, kwim? 

This. I believe what you have here is more confirmation bias than anything else.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Huh, I thought I was the only one who couldn't do the hoodie/jacket/car combo!

Anyway, this is an interesting question and I have no clue what the answer is.  I was always claustrophobic, my mom would tell stories of me not being able to sleep on bottom bunks and  not wanting to play in boxes like normal kids as young as 2-3.  That seems like a really young age to "pick up" on a phobia.  Especially since I didn't learn my mom was claustrophobic until I was in middle school when she had to get an MRI and was freaking out about it.  My brother isn't claustrophobic but is freaked out by spiders (another one from my mom) but I love spiders.  I am afraid of heights but neither of my parents are.

So... good question.  I guess IMO it's 50/50.  We might just naturally have fears, whether due to nurture or just our own mind playing with us, or maybe they are genetic.  I'd be interesting in learning more when I'm not so sick/tired.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Only if you instill these fears into her, or draw attention to them, or make an issue about her doing things you can't tolerate. Children are amazingly perceptive and notice things that adults often miss. Perhpas it is time to try some desensitization therapy? Or simply be aware of situations that lead to abnormal reactions and head them off before things reach crisis point. You rarely freak out, that's good. With a baby you might not have the time or freedom to employ your normal coping mechanism. Try creating alternate coping mechs and see how/if they work for you over the next few weeks. That way if you are stuck holding baby while wearing a long sleeved shirt under a bulky jacket in [any generic situation] you will know what to do ahead of time and not be likely to melt down.
  • Thanks everyone for the advice! I will definitely take all of it in consideration. A lot of great suggestions and insight. I really appreciate it, I definitely thought others would read this and think I'm crazy, lol. Thanks again everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"