Natural Birth

stuck in a state that does not recognize dem midwives

This is  my third and final pregnancy and it seems like my chances of having a home birth in Chicago are nil. My state does not acknowledge direct entry midwives only certified nurse midwives. This means no birthing centers or home delivery midwives in our state. CNM's operate in a hospital setting...you still deliver in a hospital. I'm so frustrated. I would very much like a water birth or at very least a delivery without the dreaded Pitocin.  I delivered my second son with a CNM . Definitely an improvement, but still hooked up to IV and Pitocin to speed up labor. I don't know what to do.

Re: stuck in a state that does not recognize dem midwives

• It's not nil.  You might want to get in touch with HIlary Kieser or Debbie Boucher.  Both attend home births. 
  • Don't despair just yet! I live in central IL and Brande Ruskusky just attended my home birth (CNM). I know that would be pretty far for you, so she probably wouldn't be an option in your case, but there ARE gals in Illinois that do this, its just not mainstream at all! Start googling and see what you can find. If we have one down here in Peoria IL, I'm sure there have got to be a couple options near you in chicago!
    EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Not so!! CNMs DO perform home births!! I just delivered my baby at home on Saturday :) In the birth tub!! (kinda... I was standing in the tub when I delivered so I don't know if it counts as a "water birth" or not!). 

My MWs web page is Gentlebirthcare.com. Loved my MWs and their staff and would highly recommend! Please PM me if you're interested in chatting about my MWs, other options or just if you want a little support. I had a wonderful experience! Oh, and GBC does work with insurance so I paid very little out of pocket. GL mama!

Eta, Rush Copley in Aurora has a birth center attached to a hospital. I have a friend deliver there, also in the tub! Again PM me if you need more info :)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • It's not magic...you realize that many hospitals have water tubs.  Also many hospitals don't even require an IV but use a hep lock instead.  Having pitocin is a CHOICE that you made.  No doctor can FORCE you to have pitocin.  Of course they are going to tell you the risks when it's been several hours after your membranes have ruptured and they are worried about things like infection, but when it comes down to it it's your choice.  So stand up for yourself. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for the suggestions. I tried googling and kept getting doulas and natural birth classes. This  helps a lot. Gentlebirths has a location in the city. :D
  • OP, glad to hear you are finding some options after all! I just wanted to chime in that my local hospital (I am in NE Ohio) has a MW-only suite (CNMs, I mean) with a huge tub. No epidurals given AT ALL in this room, and water births are OK. I feel very happy that I am going to get to be in this room with my CNM when I deliver.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • I'm in the northern suburbs. I had a home water birth and used a CPM in Evanston. I believe she has done births in the city.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Edit: glad the locals are helping you discover more options. I also didn't love my previous midwife experience but I'm finding different practices, different hospitals, etc can create a very different environment in which the midwife operates. We're going a bit farther next time to labor in a hospital that does water births, doesn't give IVs to midwife patients as standard practice, the midwives have more autonomy, etc.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are a decent amount of CPMs who operate in Chicago. One of the GentleBirthCare CPMs was my doula at my second birth, and she is great!

UIC MW, West Suburban MWs, and Swedish MWs are all good low-intervention practices that operate in hospitals. West Sub has tubs for birthing, and UIC has some.  I would mainly just stay away from Prentice, in all honesty.

I had a low-intervention birth at UIC with the MWs. I did have CFM, but that was because I was a VBAC. 

imageReallynervous83:
    It's not magic...you realize that many hospitals have water tubs.  Also many hospitals don't even require an IV but use a hep lock instead.  Having pitocin is a CHOICE that you made.  No doctor can FORCE you to have pitocin.  Of course they are going to tell you the risks when it's been several hours after your membranes have ruptured and they are worried about things like infection, but when it comes down to it it's your choice.  So stand up for yourself. 

Have you given birth in a hospital before? Sometimes it isn't as easy as "standing up for yourself." Even the most prepared, well-researched women can find themselves going down roads of intervention they didn't plan on or hope for. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I also want to add that although there may not seem like a lot of midwives, there are!! I know of at least 4 CPM's in my area that exclusively do home births. If you want a list of some that I know, then private message me. I can give you names and numbers.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • imagenosoup4u:

There are a decent amount of CPMs who operate in Chicago. One of the GentleBirthCare CPMs was my doula at my second birth, and she is great!

UIC MW, West Suburban MWs, and Swedish MWs are all good low-intervention practices that operate in hospitals. West Sub has tubs for birthing, and UIC has some.  I would mainly just stay away from Prentice, in all honesty.

I had a low-intervention birth at UIC with the MWs. I did have CFM, but that was because I was a VBAC. 

imageReallynervous83:
    It's not magic...you realize that many hospitals have water tubs.  Also many hospitals don't even require an IV but use a hep lock instead.  Having pitocin is a CHOICE that you made.  No doctor can FORCE you to have pitocin.  Of course they are going to tell you the risks when it's been several hours after your membranes have ruptured and they are worried about things like infection, but when it comes down to it it's your choice.  So stand up for yourself. 

Have you given birth in a hospital before? Sometimes it isn't as easy as "standing up for yourself." Even the most prepared, well-researched women can find themselves going down roads of intervention they didn't plan on or hope for. 

Yes I have without any problems.  I'm not disagreeing with you that your birth plan may not turn out as hoped--this is also true for a home birth plan.  I'm just saying NO doctor can FORCE medication on you or make you put an IV in.  Being well-researched has nothing to do with it.  It's called having a backbone and at the same time being well aware of the risk to your child (waiting a long time after ruputred membranes etc.)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageReallynervous83:

Yes I have without any problems.  I'm not disagreeing with you that your birth plan may not turn out as hoped--this is also true for a home birth plan.  I'm just saying NO doctor can FORCE medication on you or make you put an IV in.  Being well-researched has nothing to do with it.  It's called having a backbone and at the same time being well aware of the risk to your child (waiting a long time after ruputred membranes etc.)

But providers can bully, treat a woman like crap, or coerce her into interventions while she's in labor, which is a vulnerable time for most women. Your black-and-white view of how hospital birth works doesn't line up with reality.

DS1 - Feb 2008

• imagenosoup4u:

imageReallynervous83:

But providers can bully, treat a woman like crap, or coerce her into interventions while she's in labor, which is a vulnerable time for most women. Your black-and-white view of how hospital birth works doesn't line up with reality.

But your black and white view of hospital birth does?  

The OP equated a hospital birth with having to have an IV and having to have pitocin .  Neither is true.  If you picked a provider (or practice) that would bully, coerce, or treat you like crap that's a problem  Maybe should research them a little better.  Again, speak up and have a backbone. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageReallynervous83:
    imagenosoup4u:

imageReallynervous83:

The OP equated a hospital birth with having to have an IV and having to have pitocin .  Neither is true.  If you picked a provider (or practice) that would bully, coerce, or treat you like crap that's a problem  Maybe should research them a little better.  Again, speak up and have a backbone. 

::eye roll:: 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • imageLaurelBee:
    imageReallynervous83:
    imagenosoup4u:

imageReallynervous83:

::eye roll:: 

*cares*  Yes it sucks to hear the other side, not every birth that doesn't go according to someone's birth plan is the  the OB/hospitals fault.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageReallynervous83:

Yes it sucks to hear the other side, not every birth that doesn't go according to someone's birth plan is the  the OB/hospitals fault.  

Blaming the mother is so much easier, it's true.

• imagetokenhoser:
    imageReallynervous83:

Yes it sucks to hear the other side, not every birth that doesn't go according to someone's birth plan is the  the OB/hospitals fault.  

Yikes.  I reread my post and realize it does come off as sounding like I'm blaming the mother.  I don't mean to.  Really my point is to stick up for yourself, do the research with regard to your hospital and provider, and remember a doctor cannot FORCE you to take medications or have an IV.  I get sick of people who equate hospitals with a horrible birth experience, the reason their birth plan didn't pan out, etc.  While it depends on the hospital, it also depends on the mother.  

I have worked in hospitals and had my labor/birth in a hospital.  Never was I forced, bullied, or coerced into any decision that I made.  When I worked in hospitals, The only time is saw "bullying" was when it was clear the baby could die unless the mom stopped worrying about her birth plan and started worrying about the child.  

Lots of moms have natural births at the hospital.  The OP made it sound like that is not an option, instead she should research/visit area hospitals and different providers instead of blaming hospitals for giving her IV and piticoin.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageReallynervous83:
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageReallynervous83:

Yikes.  I reread my post and realize it does come off as sounding like I'm blaming the mother.  I don't mean to.  Really my point is to stick up for yourself, do the research with regard to your hospital and provider, and remember a doctor cannot FORCE you to take medications or have an IV.  I get sick of people who equate hospitals with a horrible birth experience, the reason their birth plan didn't pan out, etc.  While it depends on the hospital, it also depends on the mother.  

I have worked in hospitals and had my labor/birth in a hospital.  Never was I forced, bullied, or coerced into any decision that I made.  When I worked in hospitals, The only time is saw "bullying" was when it was clear the baby could die unless the mom stopped worrying about her birth plan and started worrying about the child.  

Lots of moms have natural births at the hospital.  The OP made it sound like that is not an option, instead she should research/visit area hospitals and different providers instead of blaming hospitals for giving her IV and piticoin.  

Just FTR, a lot of the people on this board, including the ones in this post, have had natural births in the hospital.   I have also worked in a hospital and delivered in a hospital and yes, bullying and coercion happen sometimes.  It happened to me and I saw it happen to other women as well.  I agree that the OP should look into her options and might be pleasantly surprised.  But you did come across as blaming women and overall insensitive to how hard it can be sometimes to advocate for yourself when you are in labor and a professional is telling you that your baby's well-being is at stake.  It is more complicated than "having a backbone" or even always knowing the risk level.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageReallynervous83:
    imagetokenhoser:
    imageReallynervous83:

But a hospital (which is set up for induction, epidurals, laboring on ones back, etc.), and providers who aren't used to low-intervention birth as the norm, are a lot stronger in terms of getting women to comply with their rules. Nurses and doctors can give someone a very hard time if they refuse any specific intervention. Coercion and bullying don't have to seem mean, and providers can coerce women even if it's coming from a benevolent place.

I get what you're saying, and yes, not all hospitals are filled with evil doctors just waiting to get IVs into women so they can section them. But it isn't the job of individual women to police the system. The system itself is the problem. 

A new study just came out about birth outcomes at birth centers. This is from here: https://www.birthcenters.org/research

"Almost all women (87%) who labor in hospitals undergo continuous electronic fetal monitoring, 80% receive intravenous fluids, 47% have labor artificially accelerated with medications, and 43% of first-time moms have labor artificially induced.,  In addition, 60% of women giving birth in hospitals are not allowed to eat or drink, 76% are restricted to bed, and 92% give birth lying on their backs. There is strong evidence that routine use of these practices, when carried out without medical indications, has few benefits and many potential harms for healthy mothers and babies."

DS1 - Feb 2008

• I had all three at a hospital with epidurals, pitocin, and continuous monitoring. Only one was a non high risk birth. However, the only thing I regret about my births was not telling all my freinds/ realtives to stay away after the birth.lol. I thought about a home birth but hubbie was hesitant. Turns out he had a better intuition than I did in our case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"