Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Hand flapping

LO flaps his hand when he sits up and he is excited or getting fussy.  My MIL sai her other grandson did it all the time and he is 10 and totally healthy.  Should I worry about autism?  Anyone else's LO flap their fingers or hands, almost like he is balancing.   

Re: Hand flapping

• This is totally normal at this age. 
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Totally normal. A lot of non-verbal behaviors happen as the child learns new skills, like waving of the hands. The point at which the behavior is no longer a process of learning and becomes a symptom is unclear, which is why Autism is typically not diagnosed until the age of 2. At this young age, hand flapping is a sign of excitement and learning motor coordination that leads into things like waving and clapping.

Source: My behavioral psychology degree.

For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter does the same thing. I don't think you have anything to worry about. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ThanKs ladies!  Sometimes I just need a reality check to relax, stop worrying and enjoy every minute :)
  • imageMrsMuq:
    OP, thanks for this! I was just thinking the same thing yesterday about my DS... :)

same here! 

• imagedrbethc:

imageMrsMuq:
    OP, thanks for this! I was just thinking the same thing yesterday about my DS... :)

same here! 

Us too! We've had some concerns, but everyone keeps telling us it's normal... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD did this too and I worried..she's fine and she's 7 now.
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"