Breastfeeding
Options

Hospital grade pumps

Anyone know if the Medela Symphony is better than the Ameda hospital pumps?  I am looking to rent a hospital pump for a month, mostly to see if it increases my supply to the point I can mostly exclusively pump and then I will decided if I am going to rent longer.  I pump at work and my 7-month old does nothing but cry when I get home and wants to nurse non-stop I am not sure if it is more of an attention thing or if he is not getting enough milk but I would like to have some extra so I can give him a bottle on those nights where I can't seem to satisify him.  With DD I used an Ameda pump for business trips and it really was not that much better than my purely yours other than being faster so I am wondering if the symphony is better or if I should just stick with Ameda given I have all of the parts.  Thanks 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hospital grade pumps

• Options
    I don't know from experience, but several moms have told me that the Symphony is absolutely the best pump ever.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I don't know about the ameda but I absolutely loved the Symphony.  I rented it for a few months (dd was in the NICU and I got an rx for it) and used it to get a stash while on maternity leave.  Just a couple months ago DD was in the hospital for surgery and I used the symphony while she was on NPO before surgery and I remembered how much I loved it.  Normally my Freestyle takes me about 20 minutes to get a full amount... the symphony took under 10.  

The symphony also has matching parts to all the other medela pumps (except the freestyle).   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've only used Medela, and I can tell you, the symphony is amazing.  I can pump 5 oz in less than 10 minutes, but I pump for 20-30 and end up with 7 oz.  My PISA couldn't do that at all. I would recommend the symphony to anyone!
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • Options

Huh.  I'm surprised by some of the responses.  I have an Ameda (non-hospital grade) at home and my work has Symphonies that we can use.  I get the same amount of milk from either pump I use.  (I've brought my Ameda to work and tried pumping at the same time just to see.)  About the only difference I've seen is the Symphony is slightly faster than the Ameda.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    imageCLLDLL:

Huh.  I'm surprised by some of the responses.  I have an Ameda (non-hospital grade) at home and my work has Symphonies that we can use.  I get the same amount of milk from either pump I use.  (I've brought my Ameda to work and tried pumping at the same time just to see.)  About the only difference I've seen is the Symphony is slightly faster than the Ameda.

Thanks for the responses everyone.  This is interesting because this is the same experience I had when I rented the Ameda pump last time, basically it was just faster.  I never used a medela of any kind other than a manual pump so maybe the Ameda personal pumps are just that good.  I am going to call around and see what is available to rent and go from there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't ever used anything but the Medela PISA and love it.  I can pump 7-8 oz in about 15 minutes tops.  Never had a problem with it.  
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"