Baby Showers

Tacky Invite

I have been friends with this person since we were in diapers...we lived on the same street and our parents were friends.  I don't think the person hosting her shower has a clue that she's tacky.

First the invite envelope had the return address stamped and the address to me a computer print out on a sticker...the stamp is what really looked tacky. 

I open up the invite and taped to the corner is a ticket with a sticker saying Diaper Raffle and to bring a pack of diapers if I want to participate.

Then at the bottom of the invite it says "Baby has plenty of clothes".  Ya....all I piratically got at my shower were clothes because people LOVE buying clothes and I would never dictate what they should or shouldn't buy.

If it was just an acquaintance I would  send my regrets, we live in FL and the shower is in CA, and send an outfit hehe.  But since this is my best friend from childhood who I still keep in contact with, I'm just going to play along with the demands and keep my comments to myself and if I even plan on attending it.

Just thought you guys would get a kick out of the tackiness.  I always enjoy reading other people's tacky stories lol  Stick out tongue

Re: Tacky Invite

• Ok, I'm not a fan of the diaper raffle thingie, or trying to tell people what to buy, but it's not tacky to have a stamped return address. I have been using a stamp for the last 2 years, mostly because we have a huge family, and a long name and I handwrite the addressee's addresses. Most of our family is now using the stamps- whether simple or the extreme fancy ones. Some people even get cute personalized return address stickers. So I'll give you 2/3 on the tacky scale.
    imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • imageEstwd2:
    Yeah, you lost me at the envelope. Do you honestly care that much? I know we're often accused of clutching our pearls over here, but I could give two sh!ts if someone uses a stamp and a printed label. The horror!

I didn't say it was THAT horrible It just caught me off guard.  I never got an invite that wasn't hand written.  As you can see in my statement I left it at that and didn't dwell on it.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, you lost me on the envelope bit too.

And really- you're going to fly across the country for this?  I'd just put more $$ towards a nice gift and send that instead.  

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• OP, on the scale of most offended to least offended, I would give this a "meh".

I agree with you about the diaper raffle-- I do not like this idea, and I would not want this done at my own shower.  Perhaps the host is not familiar with traditional rules of etiquette and perhaps saw this done at another shower.  This would not stop me from attending the shower of a friend.  I most likely would not participate, though.

I completely do not give side eye to pre printed labels-- I actually think they look much nice than handwritten ones, unless you are having them professionally done, which for a shower would be. IMO, over the top.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• What does the invite have to do with your good friend?  I gather she is not the one hosting the shower.

As for the diaper raffle...it does say "if you want to participate".  As for the stamped return address...all of my thank you envelopes have been prestamped...I don't see the big deal with that.  Personally, I don't like the sticker addresses...but maybe her hostess is really busy and it was the easiest, fastest thing for her to do.  I wouldn't hate on her for that.  It's just something I have never done as a hostess (I have used prestamped return address on envelopes though).

Even if the MTB was "just an acquaintance" I would still go to the shower because I would realize the MTB did not do any of the "tacky" things herself.

Oh...and the clothes thing was unnecessary and won't make a difference.  Guests will still buy clothes (hopefully in larger sizes).  lol

• I guess I'm pretty tacky because I always do a mail merge and print address labels for mass-produced invitations - Christmas cards, parties, etc.  I never thought twice about it. Sorry, but in the age of technology I think it's totally acceptable to not hand-write addresses on envelopes that get thrown away after one glance.  People are busy and doing it on the computer is much faster and IMO looks a heck of  lot better than handwriting unless you have perfect penmanship.  The stamping is OK by me too. If this offends you, I seriously think you have some issues.

In regards to the other stuff - people can put whatever they want on the invitations - if you don't agree with it, you don't have to go to the shower, but at least send a gift as a means of reciprocation if the guest of honor gave you a gift for your shower in the past.

I personally would not travel that far for a baby shower and just send a gift or money. I think it's rather tacky and rude of you to post this on a web forum when you've been "friends" with this person for so long. Not a great friend if you ask me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Pearls are safely unclutched at this one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • i don't get the invite label stuff.  there is nothing wrong with that, no one hand writes anything anymore.

Also, for all you guys that think diaper raffle is tacky, whats tacky about it?  they are not making you bring a diaper, its IF you want to participate in another game bring a diaper and you may win a prize.  At my shower my sis threw, she had a little insert that said, if you'd like to participate in a diaper raffle, bring a bag of diapers.  some people did, others didn't.  no big freaking deal.  keep in mind a raffle is a game, you can either participate or not.  just like those scramble games and stuff they play at showers.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"