April 2013 Moms

I just want to sleep!

I know this is the stage of the game when sleeping becomes more uncomfortable, but has anyone found any tricks to a comfortable sleeping position? I know I shouldn't sleep on my back, so I sleep on my left side with a body pillow between my knees. The problem is that I keep getting leg cramps severe enough to wake me up every 2 hours or so. I tried drinking some water before bed since staying hydrated can help reduce leg cramps, but then I have to pee in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers IAmPregnant Ticker image

Re: I just want to sleep!

• I feel you on this. My poor H, I toss and turn SO much all night long. Thankfully I'm not waking to pee, but I'm terribly uncomfortable and always rolling around. I've tried different pillow configurations but always throw them off the bed when tossing and turning. I guess I don't really have advice but just want to commiserate. I've also been waking up with not so great dreams that I wake in and out of and thus have my sleep interrupted further. 
  • I have a pillow on both sides of me, hot dog style. One of them is a bit flatter, so that I can lay more on my back rather than my side, but still not be completely flat. Maybe try that? My hips don't like to sleep on my side much anymore, even with a pillow between the knees.
    "You get in the bowl." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not sure I have any secret remedies, but I was told have a banana after dinner to try to help with the leg cramps.  I had them a ton with my first pregnancy and would wake up in agony.  This pregnancy, they seem to be less.  Good luck.  Take naps when you can.  
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • If the leg cramps are part of what are keeping you up then try eating a banana in the evening. My doctor told me to do the same when I complained about them and I haven't had them since. It might not work for you... but totally worth a shot.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I started eating a banana every day about two weeks ago when i woke up with leg cramps. That problem is now gone.

But the new problem is that I can't sleep past 4:45 a.m. This is getting really old, really fast. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I haven't found anything that helps. Sometimes taking tylenol before bed helps, but I still get pain in the hip I am laying on and have to turn over every 2 hours. Because of the pain in my pelvic mucsles turning over is not easy.

• Similar problem here, but instead of leg cramps, it's my butt that cramps up. So weird! Cant sleep on my right side due to rib and kidney pain, and I ger uncomfortable staying on my left side all night. I was almost yesterday morning from lack of sleep, so I ordered a Snoogle. Hope it works, otherwise I can return it to Target.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecrunchymnm:
    I have a pillow on both sides of me, hot dog style. One of them is a bit flatter, so that I can lay more on my back rather than my side, but still not be completely flat. Maybe try that? My hips don't like to sleep on my side much anymore, even with a pillow between the knees.

I do this as well... where I'm only really half sleeping on my side but still my back somewhat. My biggest issue these days is I get so HOT while I'm sleeping. I'll wake up in the middle of the night in a pool of sweat and the blanket thrown off of me. Once I'm awake I have trouble falling back asleep. Last night was particularly bad. I'm so exhausted today. :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageevertz:

imagecrunchymnm:
    I have a pillow on both sides of me, hot dog style. One of them is a bit flatter, so that I can lay more on my back rather than my side, but still not be completely flat. Maybe try that? My hips don't like to sleep on my side much anymore, even with a pillow between the knees.

I do this as well... where I'm only really half sleeping on my side but still my back somewhat. My biggest issue these days is I get so HOT while I'm sleeping. I'll wake up in the middle of the night in a pool of sweat and the blanket thrown off of me. Once I'm awake I have trouble falling back asleep. Last night was particularly bad. I'm so exhausted today. :(

This! I get way too hot, poor DH is freezing!
    BabyName Ticker
  • The Snoogle helps me a ton, the long part is behind me, so I can lay on my left side, or on an angle slightly on my back, and that helps. I am never flat on my back, but angled, so it still keeps the pressure off.  And I also second the evening banana.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am very interested in this banana trick! I also have the same issues, especially walking up to leg cramps. We have a lazy boy chair in our room so I have been sleeping in that the last few nights. Last night I slept almost all night. Only woke up when the cat was trying to get cozy on me. The chair reclines almost flat but not all the way so when I am on my back, I'm not compeletly on it. I also keep a pillow slightly behind me too for comfort. If it wasn't for the recliner I would probably just cry all the time from a lack of sleep.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just use a regular pillow and stuff it under my belly, and then sometimes bend my top leg and rest it on top of it. It isn't as obtrusive as a body pillow, but it is enough support to keep my belly from pulling on my back. 

My biggest problem is our 50 pound dog sleeping spread out between my and DH! He's getting clingier with each passing day, which is sweet and all, but not at 4 AM! I'm going to try him in his crate tonight, which is in our room, so hopefully he won't carry on too much. He is too spoiled... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been sleeping on the couch for the past 2 weeks. I prop some pillows up so I'm reclined at a 45 degree angle. It seems to be working fairly well. With the hip pain, heartburn, and sprained pelvic symphysis, sleeping flat or on my side isn't an option. I do wake up once a night, but I try to limit that by not drinking anything after 7 or 8 at night (we've been going to bed around 9:30). This system seems to be working for me.

• Banana every day (or every other day)  has def helped me w/ leg cramps but I still can't get comfy enough to sleep most nights :(

I don't like to take anything I don't have to, but I did cave 1 night & took a benadryl bc I was so tired & couldn't take it anymore... first time I had a decent nights sleep in a while!  ...but that was 1 night & now back to the sleepless nights :-/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"