2nd Trimester

How many Ensure drinks are safe to drink per day?

I forgot to ask my doctor how many Ensure drinks are safe to consume in one day. Has anyone had to add Ensure to their diets in order to gain weight and if so how many is safe to have in one day?

Thanks Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How many Ensure drinks are safe to drink per day?

• My doctor also had me drink one a day on top of my meal for the added calories to assist in weight gain. Usually they were too think so I chilled them down and thinned them out with ice cubes.

I'm not sure if there is an overkill or not for Ensure but you could check the sugar content and see if there is a recommended dietary suggestion on the bottle for the time being.

imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would call your doc and ask him what he wants for you individually to drink.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • do you NEED to drink them? they are basically a chemical sh!t storm loaded with sugar and other crap.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imageRussianMommy:
    do you NEED to drink them? they are basically a chemical sh!t storm loaded with sugar and other crap.

Seriously?!

I guess that's the reason why hospitals feed Ensure and Boost to patients who are unable to eat, through tubes, and recommend to supplement their meals with it once they are safely able to return home? It saved some of my family members lives while being treated for Khron's and cancers, I think it's safe to give a pregnant woman. That, and the fact that an ACTUAL doctor recommended it voids your opinion.

OP, I was recommended Similac Mom since I needed to supplement my iron and calcium intake, being lactose intolerant and anemic pre-pregnancy. It has worked fine, but if it hadn't I'd be taking Ensure instead, and the recommendation was only 1 a day, every other day, on top of my PN vitamins. 

• I have been put on Ensure drinks but I have been told to only drink one per day and than I have also been put on bed rest and an eating regimen... Confirm what the doctor wants before you are drinking a bunch of Ensure drinks and they end up working against you.
  • imagejessicadube:

imageRussianMommy:
    do you NEED to drink them? they are basically a chemical sh!t storm loaded with sugar and other crap.

Seriously?!

I guess that's the reason why hospitals feed Ensure and Boost to patients who are unable to eat, through tubes, and recommend to supplement their meals with it once they are safely able to return home? It saved some of my family members lives while being treated for Khron's and cancers, I think it's safe to give a pregnant woman. That, and the fact that an ACTUAL doctor recommended it voids your opinion.

OP, I was recommended Similac Mom since I needed to supplement my iron and calcium intake, being lactose intolerant and anemic pre-pregnancy. It has worked fine, but if it hadn't I'd be taking Ensure instead, and the recommendation was only 1 a day, every other day, on top of my PN vitamins. 

..yes, given to ppl who ACTUALLY need them, not those who don't. they are not that good for you. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imagejessicadube:

imageRussianMommy:

Seriously?!

In cases of hospitalized patients and patients with particular GI issues in need of specialized care, the benefit of drinking the Ensure outweighs the risks, especially with patients who have limited ability to prepare food themselves. But yeah, it's a cocktail of chemical and sugar-laden junk, and if the goal is to healthfully increase caloric intake, most doctors worth their weight will not tell a pregnant woman to make up those few calories that way. Each can is something like 250 calories. There are much, much better ways to add 250 calories. You'd be better off with a homemade smoothie. I wonder how much the manufacturer of that stuff pays to lobby docs to continue to peddle it. Even as far as "calories in a can" go, it's probably one of the least nutritious things out there.

• Normally, a doctor will recommend you supplement with Ensure / Boost / Similac Mom if you are not getting enough nutrients and vitamins out of your food intake.

Hence, not able to eat properly. MS, pre-existing condition, anemia, stomach or colon disease (which means your body does not absorb enough of the nutrients, minerals and vitamins you eat).

• imagejessicadube:

imageRussianMommy:

Seriously?!

Yes, seriously! Ensure is full of CRAP for you and your baby. Chemical overload. Many ingredients derived from corn, which is more than likely GMO, soy protein (don't get me started), and artificial flavors, just to name a few. Find a healthier protein source (you can PM me if you need suggestions) and I assure you you'll be spending the same amount of money too!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"