November 2011 Moms

Update: Need Sleep Training Help

We started the Feber method for sleep training about 2 weeks ago I believe.  I posted here when we started.  For the past 5 nights or so, I've been putting DS in his crib at night and haven't had to go back in once!  YAY!!

However, he is still not wanting to nap.  I do not have Feber's book, so I was wondering if anyone has pointers on napping?  I can't find anything online regaring using Feber for naps.  We usually give up after about an hour, and he'll eventually nap on one of us later.  We try to follow daycare's schedule, because he naps there, but we've had no luck. 

Also, he's been waking up like an hour earlier than he used to in the mornings.  I try to leave him in there for awhile, but he usually starts crying pretty bad after awhile, so DH ends up getting him like a half hour earlier than usual.  Which makes getting ready in the mornings difficult!  Any suggestions on this?

Thanks!

Re: Update: Need Sleep Training Help

• There's a little known saying that applied to both of my kids. "Early to bed, late to rise." Try putting your LO to bed a bit earlier. Start in 15 minute increments until you reach the time you want LO's bedtime to be. I was putting DS down at 8pm and that wasn't working. So I moved it up to 7pm. Still DS would be up at 5am and up many times per night. I moved to 6pm and now he sleeps from 6pm-6:30am. Plus, he takes a 2 hour nap everyday.

I've also read that when babies are tired, they are less likely to sleep well. So they won't take naps and they won't sleep well at night either.

Kudos for trying to keep him on the same schedule even when he's not at a daycare! Yes

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OMG... you had me at "sleeping through the night".  What else did you say? LOL.  I am so happy to hear of your good news with sleep training!!!!  It gives me hope. 

I agree with trying an earlier bedtime, that seemed to make a bit of difference with ours too.  Although I don't know if it's a phase, but ours also has started waking up at 6:30 around 13 months whereas before he always slept until 7... I wonder if it's the age? 

• Loading the player...
  • imageRedCamaro:

There's a little known saying that applied to both of my kids. "Early to bed, late to rise." Try putting your LO to bed a bit earlier. Start in 15 minute increments until you reach the time you want LO's bedtime to be. I was putting DS down at 8pm and that wasn't working. So I moved it up to 7pm. Still DS would be up at 5am and up many times per night. I moved to 6pm and now he sleeps from 6pm-6:30am. Plus, he takes a 2 hour nap everyday.

We've been doing a 7:00 bedtime since like August, but will try up to a half hour earlier if he hasn't napped well.  And maybe I shouldn't be complaining, but the wake up time is 6-6:30 now, where it used to be 7-7:30.  It is really hard for us with our work schedules to get him to bed any earlier than 7 most nights...

• imagesedl1lau:
    imageRedCamaro:

There's a little known saying that applied to both of my kids. "Early to bed, late to rise." Try putting your LO to bed a bit earlier. Start in 15 minute increments until you reach the time you want LO's bedtime to be. I was putting DS down at 8pm and that wasn't working. So I moved it up to 7pm. Still DS would be up at 5am and up many times per night. I moved to 6pm and now he sleeps from 6pm-6:30am. Plus, he takes a 2 hour nap everyday.

We've been doing a 7:00 bedtime since like August, but will try up to a half hour earlier if he hasn't napped well.  And maybe I shouldn't be complaining, but the wake up time is 6-6:30 now, where it used to be 7-7:30.  It is really hard for us with our work schedules to get him to bed any earlier than 7 most nights...

I totally ditto the early to bed, late to rise, but  11 hours seems like a normal amount of nighttime sleep.  I'd concentrate on the naps and not worry about when he's rising unless it's consistently before 6

I'm not familiar with Ferber for naps, but what are you doing with naps.  1 nap or 2?  What time(s)?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesmilelari:
    imagesedl1lau:
    imageRedCamaro:

I totally ditto the early to bed, late to rise, but  11 hours seems like a normal amount of nighttime sleep.  I'd concentrate on the naps and not worry about when he's rising unless it's consistently before 6

I'm not familiar with Ferber for naps, but what are you doing with naps.  1 nap or 2?  What time(s)?

He naps from 12:302:30 at daycare and that's what we try to do at home too. I don't think he would do 2 naps anymore.
  • We're also down to one nap :)  If he naps ok at daycare, I'd ask what their routine is and attempt to duplicate it.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • From what I remember, Ferber says if they haven't fallen asleep after an hour, get them up and continue your day. And if they fall asleep on the floor or while playing, that's fine. At least they are still learning to fall asleep on their own. I do believe you want to stay away from letting them nap on you though. That could just reinforce the crutch of needing you to fall asleep!
    We did Ferber with DS around 7 months and he would nap on his own after a few weeks and would sleep 45 mins. And he finally started napping for 2 hours around 11 months.
    Good luck mama!
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • Oh and as far as the EW goes, I noticed when DS finally started nappin on his own, his night time sleep extended.
    Also, is he getting any new teeth? DS always has early wake ups when he is teething and it lasts anywhere from 4 days to a week.
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"