Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Pump is not getting anything out!

Nothing looks broken, still feels the same but Im not getting any milk out! I dont think im out of milk because I feel full still! DD seems to be able to get milk out fine. Its the Medela pump in style advanced.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pump is not getting anything out!

• Have you changed your white membranes in a while? I have to do that every few months (I pump all.the.time) and that seems to help. They can lose suction after a while which hinders the efficiency of milk coming out.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

View Raw Image'>

• I have the same pump and at first thought there was something wrong with mine also. I soon realized that some days I don't let down easily with the pump. No pump works as well as the LO nursing. Try hand expressing first then once you get something put the pump back on. I am not sure if you are having the same problem but it is worth a try :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a hard time with my electric pump but do really well with the Harmony hand held pump. I have no idea why.
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • This has happened to me a few times as well, it's very frustrating when you know there is milk in there!  I just came to the same conclusion as the PP, some days  I just don't let down very easily for the pump.  Try to relax, look at a pic of your baby or try breast compressions.
  • You can test if its a supply issue with a manual pump.

Also, check your tubing make sure they are not blocked or bent while pumping.

• I have had the same problem ever since New Years! I used to be able to pump about 8-12oz a day and now it is a struggle to even get 4oz but DS seems to be getting plenty.
  • imageLouRN09:
    Have you changed your white membranes in a while? I have to do that every few months (I pump all.the.time) and that seems to help. They can lose suction after a while which hinders the efficiency of milk coming out.

get a pack of new membranes. You should change them every 2 months or sooner. If they are bent or ripped it will cause this to happen

• Will it still be the white membranes if I can still see my nipple actually being sucked into the valve? It looks as if there is no loss of suction.
  • I'm with PPs on replacing the membranes, especially if you never have. Also, if there is a lot of moisture in the tubing, it can affect the suction. If you do replace the membranes and the tubing and you're still having a problem, just call Medela. They have awesome customer service and sent my friend a brand new pump without a receipt or making her send the old, broken one back.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• I agree with PP, some days are just not good days for letdown.  Just relax (hard to do I know) but the more you stress the worse it gets.  Just distract yourself with the pump on.  Look at pictures of LO - for me the early pictures work best, I just can't believe how little he used to be!

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"