January 2012 Moms

Baby stats

Who has been at the 12M check up? How are our babies doing? DD is 30.38 inches - 90%-ile 24.35lbs - 90%-ile head 18.5" - 90%-ile Big and proportionate so that's good. Her weight has gone down from 97% - but still obviously perfectly fine. Also, how did you/your LO do with the finger prick? DD screamed her head off!!! The lab girl was horrible and she kept squeezing DD's finger for more blood b/c she just couldn't get it in the vile. There was f'n blood everywhere. (slight exaggeration obviously )I was so ticked off. I mean I get it, babies are wiggly and their hands tiney but jees!!! Anyway, we survived and all is well now.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby stats

• Also, sorry there are no paragraphs! I was putting them in but TB was giving me a weird format and now it's like this... :/
  • DD was 94th% for height (31") and 60th% for weight (I forget the actual number).  She hated the finger prick, the lab tech had a hard time bandaging her up.  In the end she walked out of there with something that looked like a cast on her finger.  It was kind of hilarious. 
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Just under 30" for height, 21.5 pounds.  Tall and skinny like her sister....

Here there is no blood work or anything for the yearly checkup.  Just a check in the ears, check the mouth & eyes, listen to lungs & heart and that's it.  So glad I don't have to do blood draws.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• DS was 20 lbs 11 oz (10-15th percentile- a drop from the 50th) and 31 inches (I think they said 75th percentile).  We think his drop in percentiles in weight is due to being more active and the fact that he had just gotten over a bad cold where he'd lost his appetite.  His appetite is back in full force now, so I'm sure he'll be back up to his normal percentile by the 15 month check.
  • Height: 31 1/2" (90%)

Weight: 21 lbs, 8oz? (50%)

Head: I don't remember, but 25% 

He whined a little about the finger prick, but was mostly fascinated by the blood coming out of his finger. When he was done the tech stuck a band-aid on his finger and said "Now watch out for this in the car, because this is a choking hazard."   Sure lady, because I can be watching the rear-view mirror the entire time I'm driving to make sure he doesn't choke on it.  That seems smart!  We removed it before we left the building.

Anniversary

• lp0lp0 member
    Ds didn't have any bloodwork done for his 12 month appointment. What was it for?

He was in the 50th percentile for weight 20 lbs 8.5 oz, 75th percentile for height 30", and I'm not sure what percentile for head but it was 18".
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• DS had his 12 month appt late (he turned 13 months yesterday), but his appt was on Friday.

He's a little peanut. 29.75 inches in height (35th percentile), 19 lbs 2.5 oz weight (3rd percentile) and head was 18 inches (can't remember the percentile). He's always been tiny.

No finger prick/bloodwork at our pedi office for the 12 month appt.

• DD's appointment was on the 15th.  She's 17lbs 5.5oz, 28", head was 45cm I think.  We haven't done her bloodwork yet, I was told its a vein puncture, not a finger stick and I'm having trouble finding a place that has the pediatric needles.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Layla is a little girl. with a big head still.  At least her head has gone down from the 90th percentile, lol.

She is 18lb 14 oz (10-25%), 28.5 in (25%), and her head is 46 cm (75%).

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• imageHilarityEnsued:

See this is so weird to me.  DS just had his check up.  He was 21 lbs 11 ounces, 18.75 inch head and 30.5 inches.  The doctor told me he was 50%ile for everything.  He even plotted the dots on the chart and showed me, so I know he was right.

Given that your LO has almost identical height and head things you were told 90%ile, I'm lost.  

Whatever... I put absolutely no stock in the actual %ile numbers... just making sure DS maintains a consisent curve...

:::runs off to do more googling::::

The percentages can vary depending on which set of tables your office uses - CDC or WHO.  One is more appropriate for BM babies (I think WHO) b/c they tend to be skinnier.

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemeg_2006:

Height: 31 1/2" (90%)

Weight: 21 lbs, 8oz? (50%)

Head: I don't remember, but 25% 

He whined a little about the finger prick, but was mostly fascinated by the blood coming out of his finger. When he was done the tech stuck a band-aid on his finger and said "Now watch out for this in the car, because this is a choking hazard."   Sure lady, because I can be watching the rear-view mirror the entire time I'm driving to make sure he doesn't choke on it.  That seems smart!  We removed it before we left the building.

We had the exact same numbers (except head).  It will be interesting to see if they are still similar at the 15 month check up.  

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageHuahine:
    imageHilarityEnsued:

See this is so weird to me.  DS just had his check up.  He was 21 lbs 11 ounces, 18.75 inch head and 30.5 inches.  The doctor told me he was 50%ile for everything.  He even plotted the dots on the chart and showed me, so I know he was right.

Given that your LO has almost identical height and head things you were told 90%ile, I'm lost.  

Whatever... I put absolutely no stock in the actual %ile numbers... just making sure DS maintains a consisent curve...

The percentages can vary depending on which set of tables your office uses - CDC or WHO.  One is more appropriate for BM babies (I think WHO) b/c they tend to be skinnier.

they are also different for boys vs. girls
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageHilarityEnsued:

My LO is a girl, that's where the difference in % comes from. But yeah, it doesn't really matter as long as they are healthy. This is just for fun

And I'm not sure now what tables my doc uses, which could also be different from my understanding.

No expert here either :P

• imageFarmBoysWife:
    So the whole reason i really got interested in the post. we had our 1 year today.. well, more like 13 month. we were 31 inches, 23lbs and I think a 18 inch head. And we have a slightly herniated belly button : Pedis said we'll watch it and see what it does, but it only really started once he actually started walking and I swear it got worse when he started walking all the time.

DS has had a herniated belly button too, since birth.  No change yet, but the pedi still isn't concerned. 

Anniversary

• 19lbs, 14oz (3-10%); 30.5in (50-75%); 45.5cm (25%)

We had to go and get blood work done since he weight is now on the lower end. He started off in the 50th percentile, but since he started crawling and walking had dropped down. Im trying to stay calm about it reminding myself that his slow weight gain is due to him constantly being active, fun times with teething and having a nasty cold for a week, but it is still scary. 

I had some good ugly crys last week freaking myself out. He eats a lot and did great on the rest of his check-up, like I said, it is just scary. 

• imagemichaelaskedlauren:

19lbs, 14oz (3-10%); 30.5in (50-75%); 45.5cm (25%)

We had to go and get blood work done since he weight is now on the lower end. He started off in the 50th percentile, but since he started crawling and walking had dropped down. Im trying to stay calm about it reminding myself that his slow weight gain is due to him constantly being active, fun times with teething and having a nasty cold for a week, but it is still scary. 

I had some good ugly crys last week freaking myself out. He eats a lot and did great on the rest of his check-up, like I said, it is just scary. 

Aw, I'm sorry you are so worried and stressed out about your LO. It's not easy and no matter what other say, a mother will always worry so I do get that.

And I in no way am trying to compare my DD do your LO as she's pretty high in percentile, but I just wanted to point out that even my DD who's been always on the high end DID drop down in weight percentile and just like so many other babies, including your LO it is due to all the activity and wiggliness so it's totally normal and to be expected. So I hope you can find some comfort in that. And even if it's slower pace, he still is growing and gaining weight, so that's good!

Also, interesting to see how some pedi's don't do blood work at all and at some places it seems like routine.

Our doc did it just to check iron levels and red blood cells count

• I finally have stats!! our visit was today.

DS is 25lbs3oz (95%ile) and 29.5inches (50%ile).

we got hepA, MMR, and Varicella shots as well as the oral one.. .forget what that was offhand. we did not have a finger prick today. I feel like we did that at 9 months? I can't recall.

Dr. wants to see him closing his height to weight gap. (in other words he a little too much of a chunker!) so she recommended laying off the spoon feeding and letting him feed himself exclusively. I think I'll still spoon feed him yogurt though because he won't be getting much WCM (see other post). This is also why she's not concerned that we replace his calories from BM bottles during the day with WCM, since he's clearly getting enough.

Everything else was good! He's not walking but at 12 months that's not a big deal. We're going back in two weeks to re-check his ear infection(s) and for the other shot or two.

• My kid has a huge head...49cm.  Yep, that's 99%.  

Fairly proportionate though, he weighs 23.86 pounds and is 31 inches tall.  One is 83% and on is 85%...I can't remember which is which! 

No blood work here.  It wasn't mentioned at all so I don't think they do it?  I'll be honest though, I feel like my doctor is dropping the ball.  I asked about H spitting up so much since we switched him to lactose free milk and she said to try almond milk.  I questioned her because almond milk only has 40 calories per serving and she was fairly dismissive "Oh no, he'll be fine."  We're going with our instincts and trying goat's milk instead.   

• My DD was 30.5" tall and 17lb12oz at her 12 mo. She's tiny like me and tall like her daddy.

Also, that pediatrician told me that she was basically eating too much vegetables and anything that I would think twice about feeding my daughter(as in unhealthy) I should give to her (ex: super LOADED mashed/baked potatoes. I know what she was saying, but my kiddo LOVES vegetables and eating them as is. No way am I going to not continue to pursue that. So we've upped her protein/fat intake in other ways and kept with the healthy eating. We are also switching pediatricians because of the ridiculous waits we have that result in not much time with the doctor. We usually on average wait an hour in the waiting room and an hour once we're in our room before we ever see the doctor. Sometimes it's longer. There's never a reason why except it appears they overbook their appointments because the waiting room is always full. Grrr...really, who wants to wait hours when they have a legitimately sick kid? And have them around a whole bunch of healthy kids? That's why we started taking her to another doctor and they're not even concerned about her weight because she's so active, not to mention my size and how small I am(I was considered underweight pretty much from birth to 14 years).

Wow, this is a really long post, sorry for the length. THat is, if you vevn read the whole damn thing. I've really needed to vent about my pedi's office and I haven't been on here actually posting in months!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD is 29 in(50%) and 18lbs(8%) Tall and thin. Blood work was awful, she screamed bloody murder and still has a huge bruise a week later:( 
  • Can't remember her head, but she was 20 lbs, 13 oz (I think), and 30 inches, and both those were around 70-75%.

I was shocked at how awesome she was about the finger prick. She made a face but then was really interested in the blood...Future doctor maybe? LOL However, she had 3 shots and they SUCKED! What finally made her feel better was getting home and playing with the balloons from her birthday party, lol.

• My little one is 24 pounds and 31 inches tall.  Interesting how they have never measured his head or taken blood work.  This visit was hard because he got 3 shots instead of the regular 2.
  • dd is 21.2lbs 29 inches, 19 inches hc

she did good with the finger prick. just looked at the nurse like she was crazy when she was squeezing her finger to get the blood out. had to do no bandaids for her finger prick, and shots on her legs and just use pressure to stop the bleeding. which dd hated worse than the needles. because we have discovered dd is allergic to the adhesive on bandaids. she keeps breaking out in these horrible blisters and rash if a bandaid touches her skin for more than a few mins.

• DD was just under 30 inches and about 20.5 pounds.  She had definitely slowed down but she has gotten crazy active too.  Yeah, they did the finger prick and then wanted me to take her to get blood drawn for the lead poisoning test.  I said sure, took the paperwork, and threw it in the trash when we got home.  Ugh...they want to do SO much!  In my opinion it is just to bill the insurance.

• imageNathanheartsKim:

Yeah, they did the finger prick and then wanted me to take her to get blood drawn for the lead poisoning test. 

That's interesting that they wanted to do a second blood draw for the lead test.  Our lab used the same finger prick to take blood for the hemoglobin and lead tests.

imageimageimage
  • imageKelmarwil:

My DD was 30.5" tall and 17lb12oz at her 12 mo. She's tiny like me and tall like her daddy.

Also, that pediatrician told me that she was basically eating too much vegetables and anything that I would think twice about feeding my daughter(as in unhealthy) I should give to her (ex: super LOADED mashed/baked potatoes. I know what she was saying, but my kiddo LOVES vegetables and eating them as is. No way am I going to not continue to pursue that. So we've upped her protein/fat intake in other ways and kept with the healthy eating. We are also switching pediatricians because of the ridiculous waits we have that result in not much time with the doctor. We usually on average wait an hour in the waiting room and an hour once we're in our room before we ever see the doctor. Sometimes it's longer. There's never a reason why except it appears they overbook their appointments because the waiting room is always full. Grrr...really, who wants to wait hours when they have a legitimately sick kid? And have them around a whole bunch of healthy kids? That's why we started taking her to another doctor and they're not even concerned about her weight because she's so active, not to mention my size and how small I am(I was considered underweight pretty much from birth to 14 years).

Wow, this is a really long post, sorry for the length. THat is, if you vevn read the whole damn thing. I've really needed to vent about my pedi's office and I haven't been on here actually posting in months!

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not trying to be judgmental or know-it-all or anything like that. Not at all! And I think it's very important and you certainly souldnt not stop giving your baby veggies.  I also have to admit that I envy you b/c my DD is not very good with veggies at all. :P It's quite the struggle!

But, what I think your doc means is that maybe all the veggies you are giving your LO are filling her up too much and/or you maybe don't offer enough of other things. As healthy as veggies are, they don't have all the nutrients babies need. Yes, veggies have protein, iron etc, but what meat has is still different and very much needed  and is something a vegetable can't replace. Fat, calories all that stuff us adults think is bad, is good and very much needed even for adults if you have an overall balanced diet.

But that still doesn't mean that you should feed your baby junk food, I hope the doc didn't mean that :/

• At DD's 12 month appointment she was:

height - 29" (47th percentile)

weight - 19 lb. 4 oz. (20th percentile)

head - 18" (70th percentile) 

She's a peanut, but she's as strong and feisty as they come! It just cracks me up because DS was 95th+ percentiles in all three until about 2. He was such a little meatball. Crazy how different siblings can be! 

DD goes for her 12 month blood work this weekend. I'm not looking forward to it... 

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"