Pregnant after 35

Vicodin when you're pregnant?

So I have cardiac issues... and it'a a long story but basically.... the other day I ended up in the ER w/ severe chest pain.  The pain took my breath away it was so bad and I was so scared.  They did every test they could do.... but the issues I have aren't going to show up with an EKG.... they would need to do an MRI or a CT scan and they can't b/c I'm pregnant.  ANYWAY.... they called my OB to see what they could give me for pain and they said that he said that I could have dilauded while I was there and vicodin for at home.  I asked if both of those were safe for the baby and they said that the OB said it's fine.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  I mean... I suppose there MUST be times when a pregnant woman would have to have pain relief but it just seems unsafe.  I am not planning on taking vicodin once this prescription runs out and hopefully I will not ever need to... but if God forbid this happens again what do I do?  I'm just so confused and conflicted about this.  It just doesn't seem right to be taking a narcotic when you're pregnant!

Re: Vicodin when you're pregnant?

• Honestly, I'd be more worried that they aren't exploring your cardiac issues more. Why no MRI? While there haven't been extensive and definitive studies about it (what pregnant woman would risk it?), the general consensus from what studies have been done is that MRIs are safe, especially after the first trimester.

As for the Vicodin, I looked it up in my hospital's drug database. It says that during the first trimester, there has been some evidence of defects (heart mostly) but only during the first trimester. After that, the risk is for dependence. Now, dependence would only occur with regular use throughout the pregnancy and I'm guessing most OBs would look at the risk of withdrawal for the baby once born versus benefit to you during the pregnancy.

Quite frankly, again-- my concern, if you were my patient, would be what was causing the pain in the first place? Chest pain should be taken very seriously, especially in patients with previous history of heart issues. Without knowing more of what your specific cardiac history is, however, I can't really asses further, but I would talk to your cardiologist about what may have caused your pain and what you can do to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Then, you won't have to concern yourself with the Vicodin issue.

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• I agree with Daniele on the chest pain stuff, but just wanted to comment that Vicodin is a mix of acetaminophin (Tylenol, definitely safe during pregnancy) and hydrocodone (guessing they feel it's safe for short-term use or they wouldn't let you take it!).  Hydrocodone is the narcotic part of it.  I also read that Vicodin is pregnancy category C which basically means they don't really know much about its effects, but it may be used if the benefits of using it outweigh the risks.  If it makes you feel any better, I occasionally use a cat C sleeping pill because I figure it's better than me falling asleep while driving to work or whatever!  I used it with my daughter too and she is quite healthy and smart.  I think as long as you're not going to use it for very long, it's going to be fine.

Melissa

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Loading the player...
  • They gave me the pain meds and sent me home and said that if it gets worse or if I feel the pain radiating down my arm or up my neck to come back immediately and then at that point they would in fact do a scan but that they didn't want to do so unless they absolutely had to.  For now... the pain meds seemed to help... I haven't needed them the past 2 days so hopefully I won't again.  I see the cardiologist in 2 weeks (FINALLY) so I can get some answers. 
  • imageMrsGibb:
    They gave me the pain meds and sent me home and said that if it gets worse or if I feel the pain radiating down my arm or up my neck to come back immediately and then at that point they would in fact do a scan but that they didn't want to do so unless they absolutely had to.  For now... the pain meds seemed to help... I haven't needed them the past 2 days so hopefully I won't again.  I see the cardiologist in 2 weeks (FINALLY) so I can get some answers. 

Not to be alarmist, but women typically don't experience that stereotypical heart attack pain. We more often experience headaches, faintness, and an overall fatigue or feeling of malaise/"just not feeling right."

I don't like your ED staff. I think they're not taking you seriously. When you see your cardiologist, definitely go over everything so you can be sure you are getting all your "ts" crossed and your "i's" dotted.

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"