March 2013 Moms

Bottle feeding

Anyone here planning to bottle feed? Are you a FTM, STM, etc? Why are you choosing to or did you choose to bottle feed?

Re: Bottle feeding

• I'm planning on BFing this LO but DS1 was strictly bottle fed.  I attempted BFing in the hospital but was just a touch overwhelmed (he was a month early and didn't fed well) and I had a really pushy LC (which should be a good thing, I just didn't handle it well) that I just wanted to give up.  I regret not giving it a shot because I really think it could have been something I enjoyed, but I do not regret my decision.. if that makes sense.

All in all, as long as you think your decision is the best for you and your family, it's the right choice.  Both of my sisters had zero interest in even attempting BFing and their children are just fine, very bright and healthy in fact. Of course, I would always recommend just trying because I know several people who had no desire to but tried anyway and then ended up loving it.

FWIW, while I know "breast is best", I really don't buy much into all of that.  Sure, there are plenty of statistics that compare BF/formula babies but there are way too many other factors that effect how babies/children turn out (parent's educations/income/genetics just to name a few).

• Planning to BF, but will use bottles for others to feed him, just like last time.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Loading the player...
  • I bottle fed my last and will most likely do the same this time around. I had the same issues a previous gal posted. Baby was five weeks early, and although I delievered with every intention of breast feeding, it was actually really depressing for me and it just wasn't something I was into. I don't believe it's for everyone and I don't plan on stressing myself out about it this time around. Do whatever makes you and baby happy. 

P.S. I actually came to really enjoy bottle feeding, and I don't feel like I didn't properly "bond" with my son. It worked for us.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for your honest answers, ladies. It's such a touchy topic. People are really sort of rude sometimes when I even mention the idea of bottle feeding. I really don't appreciate feeling bullied or the indication that I am a selfish person. I've done my research. Right now I am leaning very much towards bottle feeding. Just not feeling like it's for me. My OB even said that if I really didn't feel comfortable doing it, then I shouldn't do it. She also said, as a result of my discomfort, baby won't feel comfortable doing it either and it will be more of a stressful experience. I know breast feeding obviously carries massive benefits but like PP said, there are lots of bottle fed babies out there that turn out just as healthy. I know several and I am one of them. Maybe giving it a try wouldn't hurt. We'll see.

But again, I really appreciate your answers and not having my head ripped off for even mentioning it.
  • imageDolls2011:
    Thanks for your honest answers, ladies. It's such a touchy topic. People are really sort of rude sometimes when I even mention the idea of bottle feeding. I really don't appreciate feeling bullied or the indication that I am a selfish person. I've done my research. Right now I am leaning very much towards bottle feeding. Just not feeling like it's for me. My OB even said that if I really didn't feel comfortable doing it, then I shouldn't do it. She also said, as a result of my discomfort, baby won't feel comfortable doing it either and it will be more of a stressful experience. I know breast feeding obviously carries massive benefits but like PP said, there are lots of bottle fed babies out there that turn out just as healthy. I know several and I am one of them. Maybe giving it a try wouldn't hurt. We'll see.

But again, I really appreciate your answers and not having my head ripped off for even mentioning it.

Feel that breastfeeding is not for me that is.
  • I nursed my first for seven weeks and hated every second of it! She latched fine, my supply was perfect, we had zero issues. I just personally hated it! I was so relieved when I went back to work and could stop. With my second I did not even attempt to nurse. I got comments from EVERYONE that I was killing my baby and selfish and that he would have all sorts of health issues. I mean comments from doctors, nurses, family, friends, even strangers and my own husband! I had a much better relationship with my second and I felt more relaxed as a mom and it was just a much better experience for me NOT to nurse so I ignored the comments and have a perfectly healthy three and a half year old. With this baby financial reasons are forcing me to nurse so I am just trying to remain positive and try to get over my personal feelings. However, to answer your question I think it is a personal thing and everyone should just BUTT OUT and let you decide how to feed your baby!
  • Planning to bf, but also have bottles to use if I need to pump or supplement like last time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I say do what you want, no judgement here. But as a FTM, at least give BFing a try to see how it is. You may find you like it and it works well. If not, no sweat you're already prepared to bottle feed.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I will bf if all goes well.  I bf'd DS for 4 months and would like to make it longer this time.  That being said, if it doesn't go well, I won't be fighting too hard to make it happen.  I will have an almost 3 year old to take care of as well and whatever makes our day go smooth is what I will be doing. I will add, though, that I found formula to be waaaay more of a hassle with DS. 

I think it sucks that people have to be so rude with their opinions on this topic.  We all want what is best for our children/family, but sometimes that doesn't necessarily mean breastmilk.  Sometimes what's best for a new mom is just getting through the best way she can. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Breatfeeding was very stressful for me too... Glad I stuck with it though.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• With my first two, I bf while on maternity leave.  The jobs I was working at the time did not make pumping easy and I had a definate lack of support from ex and my mom so out of discouragement I switched them to formula around 3 and 6 weeks.

The biggest issue we ran into with the formula was that ds was unable to take milk based formulas and the doctors (military so we didn't have 1 doctor) were against us having him on a soy based formula.  I ignored the doctors and finally when ds was 14 months old he saw the head pediatrician who finally acknowledged that "MAYBE it's POSSIBLE that he MIGHT be lactose intolerant."  And that was in response to ds having a diaper rash so raw it bled EVERY time I gave him even an ounce of milk.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • As a FTM I really don't have any experienced opinions to give.  But the responds to the OP'spost make me happy to be a part of this board.  It is nice to see  a range of calm rational responses.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I bottle fed my last 3 children and will be bottle feeding this one as well.. We have very hectic schedules with the other children in sports and other activities so it will be less time consuming to bottle feed. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBabyMayinMarch:
    As a FTM I really don't have any experienced opinions to give.  But the responds to the OP'spost make me happy to be a part of this board.  It is nice to see  a range of calm rational responses.

I agree, we have a great group here.  Yes

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • I BFed my first and plan to do so again, but I also plan on getting DS used to the bottle for when I'm out, want to go out, need a break or return to work.

My little man at 0-1-2

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagePipSqueak0313:

imageBabyMayinMarch:
    As a FTM I really don't have any experienced opinions to give.  But the responds to the OP'spost make me happy to be a part of this board.  It is nice to see  a range of calm rational responses.

I agree, we have a great group here.  Yes

I agree as well. As the OP, I was a little worried about posting about this topic since it is a contraversial one but I very much appreciate how open minded and helpful everyone was.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"