January 2012 Moms

Vegetarian 1st Birthday

I haven't posted on this site since baby girl was just little so hopefully I'm still welcome. : )

DD's 1st bday is coming up and we are having a small party with family this weekend...both sets of grandparents, both sets of aunts and uncles, great aunt who is like an additional grandparent, 5 cousins, two friends and a baby.

None of these people are vegetarians...we are.

Question- do we serve all vegetarian food? If you were to attend a veg party what food would you like to see? Anything completly off limits?

I'm thinking baked beans, corn salad, taco bar with refried beans, brown rice and black beans, lettuce, tomatos etc...

What are your thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vegetarian 1st Birthday

• I'm not vegetarian, but your menu sounds delicious.  My DH, however, is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and would probably be unhappy.  As the great wife that I am, and knowing whose house we were going to, I would make sure he had a decent snack beforehand.

What I'm saying is, people attending are probably well aware of your lifestyle and will plan accordingly.  You shouldn't be forced to cook meat for a party that you're hosting.  I would add chips/salsa for those with a picky appetite.

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe add in a fruit salad or cheese and cracker tray? Most people will eat that kind of stuff.

• Loading the player...
  • Maybe a pasta?  Everyone likes pasta.

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• imagejnickers98:

What I'm saying is, people attending are probably well aware of your lifestyle and will plan accordingly.  You shouldn't be forced to cook meat for a party that you're hosting.  I would add chips/salsa for those with a picky appetite.

I agree with this 100%!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like a great menu! We don't eat red meat and I usually try to make dishes that don't traditionally have it so people don't miss it.

For your tacos would you consider cooking up a batch of soy crumbles for people who really want something meaty? I bet most people would think it's ground beef once they have it in a taco with all the other toppings.

• Serve whatever you want, it is your party!

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Went to a wedding where it was all vegetarian fare and only some of the people were vegetarian...the people at our table (mostly family from both sides) thought it strange. 

Although taco bar sounds good, I'd be left wondering where the meat was.  I think bean burritos would leave less people likely to grumble...unless everyone already was very supportive of the no animal protein thing.  

• I am one and would just serve vegitarian fair. Your menu sounds great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • personally I think it's very strange when people have a problem with skipping meat for one single meal of their lives. I'd say if you're vegetarian, you should serve what you would be comfortable eating. If someone is so starving for meat after one afternoon without it? they can grab a burger on the way home.

I'm not even close to being a vegetarian, and I would say your menu sounds delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"