3rd Trimester

32 weeks and dilating.. Anyone else gone through this? I'm scared

I went to the doctor yesterday because I was having some brown discharge. The doctor did an internal exam and found that I am 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. She wants me to stay off my feet as much as possible (however she did say that sex was ok for now) . I'm really scared that I could go into labor early. Has anyone else been through this? If so can you please share your story about what happened! I'm really scared any advice?

Re: 32 weeks and dilating.. Anyone else gone through this? I'm scared

• I haven't gone through this, but you could be dilated at 1cm for a very long time.
  • Lots of babies are born prematurely and end up being just fine. Don't stress when it's not necessary
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • I was 1cm and 50% effaced for like 5 weeks with #1 (and I was checked for the first time at 36w so it's possible I was at 1cm for even longer, who knows). It doesn't mean anything (and it's one of the reasons I won't bother getting internals this time around).
  • I went to the ER for contractions at 30 weeks.  I was 1cm and very soft.  I haven't progressed at all since then.
    DD: 6/30/09. Mild pre-e DS: 9/5/10. Normal pregnancy Diagnosed 6/4/12 with dermatomyositis. Currently on Prednisone and IVIG therapy. 9/11/12: Normal a/s for DS2. No side effects from my medication, yay! DS2: 1/28/13. Thankful for healthy children! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I was 1cm at 27 weeks and didn't deliver until 37 weeks....it doesn't mean much and you could stay that way for a while.  I would still take it easy but don't worry to much
  • From what I've heard (I'm a FTM) dilating a cm or two in the last 2 months isn't something to worry about. Just try and relax and take docs advice. I assume you'll stay where your at for a while

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• I started having really bad and consistent contractions at 32 weeks. They lasted all day and kept getting worse so I headed to L&D. They found me 40% effaced and starting to dilate. They gave me a shot to stop the contractions and I've been on bed rest (more like "restricted rest" since i have a toddler to run around after) until my 36 week apt. However, my OB was very adamant to stay away from sex and orgasms just to be safe. Orgasms can produce the hormone needed to start labor so sex was a huge no no. A week later I had not dilated anymore, but am now 50% effaced. I will be 35 weeks tomorrow and still dealing lots of contractions periodically that get me a bit worried. Stay hydrated, get off your feet as much as possible, keep your bladder empty and thats really all you can do at this point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good luck! Hopes and prayers for a healthy baby. I hope he/she stays in there longer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Did they check for infection? I had to get one done last week I had a ton of pelvic pain and contractions. Dr. didn't tell me if I was dilated, granted I don't think she even checked before putting me in L&D. I failed the office NST so I was sent there. I'm on bedrest now.
  • I had a friend who was dilated to 3 cm for weeks before she went into labor. Now that I am at the end of pregnancy I am realizing more and more that nobody can really predict or affect when labor will begin. Just take it easy and stay well hydrated and you should do great! 

• This happened to me at 20ish weeks, I dilated to 1cm. I was so frightened. When checked again later on it was gone. Since then I have been asked to stay off my feet as much as possible. This is extremely hard since I have a toddler. H has been on me to do this though. I do very low impact exercises and don't go anywhere that requires a lot of walking. I also drink lots and lots of water. If you listen to what the dr says I am sure you will be fine.
  • A little dilation at 32 weeks with no contractions or other problems should be ok. On the other hand, I dilated to 2 at 29 weeks with both of my last babies, the doctors do take it seriously with medication or bedrest. They want you to make it to 37 weeks.

For the PP comment "babies are born prematurely all the time, no need to stress" what an idiot. I made it to 35 weeks 3 days with my son, he was born with underdeveloped lungs and in the NICU for 2 weeks. Babies in the NICU can develop further problems such as infections or severe jaundice, it made breastfeeding difficult, and was very stressful to my family. The risk of delivering a premature baby is taken very seriously and although stressing won't help, it is cause for concern.

OP, hope you hang in there a few more weeks, try to stay calm, hydrated and off your feet! 

• You will be fine. I have been dilated to 3 cm since 33 w 4 d. They put me on bed rest and even after a 2nd trip to L & D last week today at 37 w 2 d there has been no change. I still cook, clean, and have had sex but no change. Even if I had gone early the hospital made me feel very comfortable that my baby boy would be fine.
  • Thank you all so much!! I am starting to feel a lot better knowing that I am not alone and that there is hope that I can have a full term baby!! I have had such a healthy pregnancy so far so I was a little bummed!!  I will rest and keep my fingers crossed that I can keep my little peanut cooking longer!! 
  • With my last my first internal wasn't until 35 weeks but I was 4cm dilated and 90% effaced and stayed that way (well effaced 100% over time and eventually got to 5cm before getting to the hospital) until I was induced at 39w5d.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"