Trying to Get Pregnant

UPDATED WWYD- further info/questions

Would lay offs in your department make you re think trying to get pregnant?

The president of the company just came to explain changes. They laid off 18 people today. Small company. So this is a huge deal. However, they stated that they did it all in one day, and its over now. I've never been in a company that did this before so I don't know if that's what they all say, or if I can take them at their word and go about life business as usual. WWYD?

Sorry to bug with further questions.

Re: UPDATED WWYD- further info/questions

• imageRobertSmithLover:

No, I am pretty sure they can't lay you off just because you are pregnant.  

• If you are laid off, will you be financially secure?  Have insurance? 

imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• Loading the player...
  • imageRobertSmithLover:

No. Not saying it doesn't happen but it would look really bad for them to lay off a pregnant woman, might also be too risky for them to do so.

ETA: And yes, like a PP said, definitely don't tell anyone you are TTC

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegonzol:
    I'm assuming you are asking if the possibility of getting layed off would deter you from continuing TTC? 

If that's what you're asking... 

Depending on how much income you bring in, yes. If you bring in enough income that it would greatly impact your situation, I would definitely rethink TTC. At least pushing it back until you are more stable. 

But if you are working just to have extra money and you can afford to be with out a job and it not impact much, no I would not rethink it. 

I am glad you read it the same way I did.

imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• Absolutely.  Since I am the primary breadwinner in our house, I would not TTC if I felt my job was insecure.  We have savings in case something happened, but I still wouldn't push it.  If DH were laid off, it would not stop us though, since we can easily live without his income (and most likely will if we have a LO).
  • imageMrsNortz:

imageRobertSmithLover:

No. Not saying it doesn't happen but it would look really bad for them to lay off a pregnant woman, might also be too risky for them to do so.

I bring in equal income as DH. We do need to be a two income family. Our insurance is through my husband's work. The chances of me being laid off are, from my understanding, very minimal. But, it is a very "dead man walking" environment around here.

• imageChuggingWater:
    imagegonzol:
    I'm assuming you are asking if the possibility of getting layed off would deter you from continuing TTC? 

Depending on how much income you bring in, yes. If you bring in enough income that it would greatly impact your situation, I would definitely rethink TTC. At least pushing it back until you are more stable. 

But if you are working just to have extra money and you can afford to be with out a job and it not impact much, no I would not rethink it. 

I read it this way too and agree. I am the breadwinner in our house and our insurance is through my job, so if I thought I was going to get laid off I would stop TTC. It would be an incredibly hard decision but I don't want to bring a baby into such a rocky financial situation.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • When will that environment ease up?  Any idea?

We also need to be a two family income, and it would deter me from TTC, at least a couple of months, in the situation you are describing.

I also wouldn't be bumping from work. :)

imageimage
    induction due to HELLP

• imageAjoyd:
    imageChuggingWater:
    imagegonzol:

I read it this way too and agree. I am the breadwinner in our house and our insurance is through my job, so if I thought I was going to get laid off I would stop TTC. It would be an incredibly hard decision but I don't want to bring a baby into such a rocky financial situation.

Ya, thats what I'm kind of thinking. After trying for almost a year, and finally being where I was starting to think of seeking help from an RE, finally feeling like we may begin to make progress, this happens. Thanks for the input ladies!

• imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    imageMrsNortz:

imageRobertSmithLover:

It wouldn't look bad for a company who is laying off employees to lay off a pregnant woman. Pregnant women are entitled to equal treatment as other employees, not better treatment. If layoffs are equal across the board, then there would be no reason to bat an eyelash at a pregnant woman getting laid off.

I guess it depends on the work environment. In my last company I survived several layoffs, one of which was most certainly a "cleanup" layoff of bad apples.

In any case, if you cannot lose this job from a financial need standpoint and the environment is "dead-man walking", I would start looking for a new job where things feel more stable.

• I am in the same situation where my job is on the rocks somewhat. It has been this way for a year. I am not putting off TTC however. I feel like anyone's job in this economy is not safe at any time and if you always put off ttc for things you can't control, then you will never get pregnant. I just turned 30 and don't feel I have time to put off ttc just because there is a "possibility" I could be layed off. That same possibility could be around for the next 5 years...We were just married in July and bought a house a couple months ago.

I am covered under my husband's insurance however and my husband is the bread winner. We would be able to survive temporarily off unemployment if anything did happen.

• imagegonzol:

Thats what it sounded like to me...

• imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    imageMrsNortz:

imageRobertSmithLover:

It wouldn't look bad for a company who is laying off employees to lay off a pregnant woman. Pregnant women are entitled to equal treatment as other employees, not better treatment. If layoffs are equal across the board, then there would be no reason to bat an eyelash at a pregnant woman getting laid off.

This, and I agree with CW and gonz.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Not if you could afford to still have a baby without your salary.
  • If you depend on your salary to pay your bills, I'd definitely wait. Bringing a baby into an already stressful environment won't be good for you, your DH, nor your baby. Besides, waiting until you feel secure in your job wouldn't hurt anything, but it will give you more time to save up.

That is a tough situation and I'm sorry you are having to go through it. Good Luck! 

KLS1003.2

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageRobertSmithLover:

The president of the company just came to explain changes. They laid off 18 people today. Small company. So this is a huge deal. However, they stated that they did it all in one day, and its over now. I've never been in a company that did this before so I don't know if that's what they all say, or if I can take them at their word and go about life business as usual. WWYD?

I have never been in your situation, myself. I'm sorry that you feel like your job could be in jeopardy.

My mom was laid off a few years ago and her company did the same thing, let everyone go in the same day. Good luck to you. 

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• imageRobertSmithLover:

This same thing happened at my last company in 2011, except they laid off groups of people every quarter. In 2012 they laid off a big group of people when restructuring. I think unfortunately, you just never know.

I would stick it out a few more months to gauge the changes in the company atmosphere, all while updating my resume in the meantime and posting to monster and/or career builder to see if I get any bites.

Sorry you are going through this, GL!

• imageMrsNortz:
    imageRobertSmithLover:

This same thing happened at my last company in 2011, except they laid off groups of people every quarter. In 2012 they laid off a big group of people when restructuring. I think unfortunately, you just never know.

I would stick it out a few more months to gauge the changes in the company atmosphere, all while updating my resume in the meantime and posting to monster and/or career builder to see if I get any bites.

Sorry you are going through this, GL!

Thank you. This was the furthest worry from my mind. Jeez. Tonight I'm switching sides of the bed with my husband. Clearly I got up on the wrong one today. let him have some of my luck tomorrow haha. Thanks for the advice ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"