February 2013 Moms

Is anyone still exercising?

I have tried to maintain good exercise habits, but then at Christmas I got the flu and I barely got over it a few days ago (preggo immune system sucks!), so I basically haven't done much in the past month. I started walking again yesterday (usually I try to brisk walk 30 - 40 minutes) and it was the first time I could feel the baby really kicking while doing it and I was wondering if she's like "hey! what's the rush?!" or if it's just that I can feel her more because she's a lot bigger than when I was walking 5 weeks ago.

Anyway, just wondering if people are still trying to exercise and if so, what are you doing?

Pregnancy Ticker
20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage

Re: Is anyone still exercising?

• I am 38 w and I am still working out. I do the precor for 30 mins and some light weights. The baby seems very active afterwards. My doctor told me to keep doing it as long as I feel good because it helps your blood pressure. It's getting harder because I have to pee much more often now. ;
  • Walking still.  I try to get out for an hour walk 5 days a week.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I took off from the gym from 34-36.5 weeks due to contractions but went back a few days ago and have been doing a slow elliptical workout each day. It feels good and helps ease my weight gain guilt.
  • I take our dog for about a 20-minute walk 2 or 3 times a week. I would like to do it more, but it's tough since our dog likes to walk fast enough that I sometimes have a hard time keeping up with her when I'm NOT pregnant. I'm also on my feet a lot at work, and do all the grocery shopping/cooking/cleaning at home. That has to count for something, right?!
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I try to get 30 minutes on the eliptical four days a week during my lunch break, and then run through my prenatal workout DVD at home a few times on the weekend, but it doesn't always work that way since I am working out in LO's room and DD likes to 'play' in there with me. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageByeByeBooze:

One of the things I am most looking forward to after being pregnant is that good, sweaty, tired, exhilarated post-workout feeling. I miss running.

Me too! 

Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • I gave up on the gym around 5 months because I felt like I wasn't getting anything out of it anymore.  I had to go soooo slowly on the ellipitical to keep my heartrate low enough, and I was told I should cut the weights I was lifting in less than half, boooo.

So instead it's been a lot of walking, whether it's walking the dog, parking farther away than necessary from store entrances, taking stairs instead of elevators, etc.  Also, sticking to my schedule of cleaning the whole house every Sunday is a surprisingly good workout.  And my dog likes to play "make mommy chase me in circles around the dining room table," although that game's getting a bit more painful now that the baby seems to have dropped a bit and her little noggin bounces off my bladder and/or cervix with every step! 

None of it is really "formal" exercise, but I've been doing my best to stay active.  I've lost some muscle tone due to putting weight training on hold, but my weight gain has been pretty much perfect based on the usual recommendations, and I've been able to avoid hitting those "I have no energy to do anything" walls.  There's always time to get back into my pre-pregnancy gym routine when my OB gives me the go-ahead. :-)

• I try to get out walking with my dogs...but it's been in the -30s (celsius) plus windchill into the -40s where I live. So the thought of going outside is brutal! I also have been getting CRAZY BH's when I do too much so I just took it really easy...but now that I hit that beautiful FULL TERM mark I won't be so worried about getting anything going if I go for a walk!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a pregnancy video that I do sometimes. I also have walking videos I do from the t.v. I haven't been super great at exercising, although when I substitute teach I walk a lot. I am hoping that if I am in better shape, labor will be easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Up until I got a cold this week, I was going to yoga barre twice a week and prenatal yoga once a week. Since I've been sick, I've just been doing my breech flip exercises and even those are killing my lungs.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am on my feet walking for four hours or so when I work.  So on days that I work I don't do much else.  But at home I will pick  few routines from fit pregnancy and do that. 
  • I'm walking 2 to 3.5 miles a day on the treadmill. That's about it.
  • When my SPD got really bad in the second half of 2nd tri, I quit my yoga DVD. But now that SPD is back down to a manageable pain I am taking short walks occasionally. I want to make it a more regular thing to walk but I am easing myself into it. I might restart my DVD next week with considerable support. I will be walking three times a week by next week so I do not want to overdo it.

I think exercise is very important to prepare for labor. Other than my 3 or so days of work each month, a couple of weekly errands and when I can muster up the strength and motivation to do housework, I am pretty sedentary and I want to feel strong and ready for labor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Still exercising. Walking and elliptical at the gym and prenatal yoga at home about three times a week unless I'm really in pain or something.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Does walking up the stairs count as exercise, because I feel like I've run a marathon when I get to the top?  That's the extent of my physical activity at this point Embarrassed

• imagekstephens21:
    I am 38 w and I am still working out. I do the precor for 30 mins and some light weights. The baby seems very active afterwards. My doctor told me to keep doing it as long as I feel good because it helps your blood pressure. It's getting harder because I have to pee much more often now. ;

This! I do about 30 minutes on the eliptical 3 or 4x a week. It's so hard because I'm so tired when I get home from work but once I'm there I feel better. I was running until about 1.5 weeks ago, but with the baby so low it's really uncomfortable so I gave up on that.

• I walk for 1-2 hours on most days of the week. I took the day off today because it was cold and it snowed last night. None of the sidewalks in my area were shoveled or salted and I didn't want to risk falling, especially since my husband is at work today. I will probably try to go for a short walk tomorrow since it is supposed to snow again tomorrow night and I might have to take Saturday off.

Most of the time my walks are fine. Sometimes I will sit on a bench for a bit because my back has been hurting. Last Thursday I was having sharp pains in my crotch (TMI, I know) and had to call it quits early. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"