Multiples

potty training and other questions

Hi all,

Just wondering when you started potty training....I know its still early (boys are 14 months) I just like to plan ahead. Also we are starting to think about when we would like another baby and I think it would be nice to have these guys potty trained first!

So what's your opinion, at what age would you feel like you could handle another baby (or two hehe)?! 

Re: potty training and other questions

• I'm a strong believer that your kids will decide when they are ready to potty train.  One of my DDs initiated potty training at 25 months and was doing great... Until LO#3 arrived.  Now I have 3 in diapers.  I think it is easier this way.  I'm glad I don't have to make potty stops every time we go out, since taking all 3 out in public can be chaotic enough.  It also gave me time to get on a schedule with nursing LO3 without worrying about running my toddlers to the potty to avoid accidents.

That being said, I really hope they are ready to potty train in time to go to preschool in the fall.

i'm glad my 3 are close in age, but I did it knowing that it would be really busy for a few years.  If I had had a second set of twins... I can't even imagine. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good point about the potty training in public places....the logistics of 3 children in a public bathroom is not something I want to experience haha

There is always that little thought in the back of my mind "what if its twins again" not very likely as they were spontaneous but you just never know...so that makes me pause when I think about when to have another! 

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP that they will do it when they are ready.  DS #1 didn't train until he was 35 months and needed to go to preschool with no diapers.  It is so easy if you wait until they are ready.  I told him his new teacher said he had to wear underpants and he just did it.  DD #2 is almost fully trained right now.  He is 32 months.  He started telling me with a diaper on that he had to go potty.  He is in pull ups with basically no accidents since that day.  Still haven't done underpants just in case.  I like waiting longer because then they are really ready.  I always expose them to the potty starting around age 2 or so but then wait for them to give me cues.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just re: my singletons, my eldest ptd right at 3, literally the week my second big was born. No regressions from it, but it was hard to have marathon nursing sessions on the sofa while he would be too busy to use the potty and I had to cajole a lot.
    However, once he was set, he was good. Boys usually pt closer to 3, and girls 2.5. Yes there are exceptions to this that everyone will point out, but that's the average. I wouldn't necessarily plan for another baby wrt this, since kids are super unpredictable. Your twins might pt at 18 months, they might not pt until 4 :
  • imagetrish3905:

I'm a strong believer that your kids will decide when they are ready to potty train.  One of my DDs initiated potty training at 25 months and was doing great... Until LO#3 arrived.  Now I have 3 in diapers.  I think it is easier this way.  I'm glad I don't have to make potty stops every time we go out, since taking all 3 out in public can be chaotic enough.  It also gave me time to get on a schedule with nursing LO3 without worrying about running my toddlers to the potty to avoid accidents.

That being said, I really hope they are ready to potty train in time to go to preschool in the fall.

i'm glad my 3 are close in age, but I did it knowing that it would be really busy for a few years.  If I had had a second set of twins... I can't even imagine. 

agree.  I think diapers are easier too and it's easier to have all in diapers than having to take them to the potty.  I also agree about training when they're ready.  My oldest had to learn the summer before he started PK3.  He was allowed to wear diapers in PK2 but all of the others were trained.  It was good he saw that.  I think you can start putting them on the potty with diapers if you want to get them used to the idea. 

Our oldest 2 are just under 2 years apart and our 2 year old is over 2.5 years apart from the twins.  I like having them close in age.  Our oldest 2 are close.

• My guys are 3 and we've been pretty lax about training them- but they are pretty much completely trained now, and we have a newborn.  So far, I haven't been out with just the three of them- usually I've got an older sibling with me as well- but I was just thinking the other day that I'm scared for the day when I have to abandon a shopping cart or something because one of them needs to go potty and I have no helpers!
    Jayme
    Boy 16, Boy 15, Boy 13, Girl 10, Girl 8 & Twin Boys 3, and Bacon!
    Twin A is in REMISSION!
    23 week loss, 24 week loss, 3 early miscarriages & a 25 weeker who lived only 9 weeks.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"