Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Nap length

Would you ever limit the length of a nap if they weren't going to sleep for the night until 9:30 or 10? My son sometimes will take a really long nap during the day and then will fight going to sleep at night. Could he be napping too long? He is 15 months.

Re: Nap length

• What time does he wake up, and what time is his nap?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He wakes up around 7:30am and his nap is usually between 1pm and 3pm. He will sleep for over 2 hours during his nap some days.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHolly7LV:
    He wakes up around 7:30am and his nap is usually between 1pm and 3pm. He will sleep for over 2 hours during his nap some days.

If this is his only nap, I don't think it should make him go to sleep so late at night and fight it. DD naps for about 1/2 hour in the morning around 2 hours after waking up (6:15am during the week because I have to wake her for daycare and around 7:30am on the weekend) and then again from 12-2 or 1-3ish. Sometime she doesn't sleep the full 2 hours but she is ready to go to bed for the night by 7PM.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • No, I wouldn't shorten his nap. My daughter is on the same schedule so far as wake up time, nap time and length, but she goes to bed at 8 p.m.

I'm not sure what to tell you except maybe try some sleep training if you haven't already to get him to bed a little earlier?

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• It is his only nap. Sometimes he falls asleep in the car on the ride home but they really doesn't count as a nap. I am just wondering if a over 2 hour nap is a problem. I guess it really isn't and I should just work on a better bedtime routine.
  • I wouldn't shorten his nap, especially since it is his only nap. 

My daughter takes one nap--typically between 2.5-3.5 hours, and for the most part it doesn't affect her bedtime--and if it does, it is only about 30 minutes or.

If she takes less than a 2.5 nap--like today--she wants to go to bed at 6:30. 

My daughter is my hero.
  • imageHolly7LV:
    It is his only nap. Sometimes he falls asleep in the car on the ride home but they really doesn't count as a nap. I am just wondering if a over 2 hour nap is a problem. I guess it really isn't and I should just work on a better bedtime routine.

Yeah, a 2 hour nap once a day is pretty normal. I would try to get a bath, jammies, and bottle type routine in earlier, like 7 or 730 and see how that goes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess I'm in the minority... I wouldn't let LO sleep longer than 2 hours for sure if LO was napping that late... however we were doing a late nap like that and DS wasn't going to sleep at bedtime so I moved the nap earlier in the day... this made it easier to get him to bed... 

our original schedule: up 7:30, nap 1-3, bed 8 and he was really hard to get down

our new schedule: up 7:30, nap 11-1, bed 7-7:30 latest and he's super easy to have asleep by this time

we definitely get shorter naps with the new schedule, usually only 1-1.5 hours, but he's not fighting sleep as much and I think the issue was that there wasn't enough time between nap time ending to bed time...

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • I agree I wouldnt wake him up from his nap but I would try to adjust the timing of his naps so that its not so close to bedtime.

I am jealous of all you ladies who can get a 2-3 hour nap out of your LO.  DS only naps for 45 min once per day, but he goes to bed at 6 and sleeps 14 hours every night so I guess its a trade off :)

• Heck yes!  I had to do that as well.  If my little guy sleeps too long during the day, he will not sleep at night.  You have to be flexible and willing to change things.  These little guys needs less sleep as they get older.  
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"