Babies: 0 - 3 Months

RP from bf?MASTITIS HELL

So, i got mastitis about 2 weeks ago. I've been pumping pretty much ever since b/c my boobs hurt so bad for a few days and then my supply was low so i wanted to see what ds was getting oz wise. I've been under a TON of stress (my mom passed away the day i discovered it was mastitis), have had little sleep, and am just plain sad. Fast forward to last night. My right boob (the one that had the M) is hurting again and pumping hurts. I think I have a clogged duct b/c there is a definite hard spot on my boob so I'm massaging the mess out of it and it's hurting. I check my temp today and its up to 99 (i run in the low 97's) so I'm waiting for the doc to call me back but I'm pretty sure the M is back. 1. Any advice? 2. my friend told me there is some tea or herb to help thin the milk to help with clogged ducts and mastitis? ps. my letdown is really painful too and i don't remember this from bf'ing dd.
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: RP from bf?MASTITIS HELL

• First I am so sorry about the loss of your mother! Also very sorry about the Mastitis. I'm about 2 weeks post getting it myself and worried about getting it again. I'm still in alot of pain. I don't have any advice. Just hang in there! ((Hugs))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

•  

I am so sorry to hear about your loss :( No time is a good time to lose a loved one but it is much worse when you are hormonal and going through something like M. *Hug

I got mastitis very early on.  I went to the hospital and they put me on antibiotics and I purchased a very expensive Medella breastpump. Within a couple of weeks my breasts were pretty much normal size and no more pain. You definitely need to go to the doc if you suspect a clogged duct. You might try warm towels or a bath before you pump. Also make sure you are wearing a supportive bra that is not too tight (even if that means going to walmart for a giant bra that you will only wear a couple of weeks).

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Get in a hot shower ASAP. Take a washcloth and with the hottest water you can stand  cover your breast/nipple to help loosen any cloggs. Then using the hot washcloth massage the red,hard area starting at the outter edge of your breast pushing towards the nipple. Massage as hard as you can stand. Do it until you feel some sort of give in the hard area. I had mastitis twice with my first, and anytime I felt I might get it again ths is what I did. Its the worst!! GL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so very sorry about your mom and also sorry to hear about the mastitis!! I got it four or five times with DS (he had eating aversions from reflux and I was always getting all screwed up and engorged). and it SUCKS!!!! Strangely, I didn't have a ton of breast pain, that was moderate, but I did have high fever, chills, and general feeling-crappy-ness. I've been on the edge a couple times with this baby I think and I feel like it's only a matter of time. Anyway, the supplement is soya lecithin. I truly think it helps me--I take it now. It's a little hard to find.

Being tired and under stress will make you more susceptible for sure.

Were you on antibiotics the first time? Forgot if you said. I took a course of them several times and I preferred the ones that you took for MORE days, b/c I felt like then I had a better chance of getting more time before it recurred. 

Miserable! Good luck. Sometimes I could actually make a clogged duct go away and "escape" mastitis. Other times I could massage and massage and it just wouldn't work. :(

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am so sorry about your mom :(

Best thing for mastitis is to keep feeding. Hot showers, warm compresses and massage really helped me. I had a 104 fever bad flu symptoms. It was brutal. Hang in there, it will be worth it when you get through this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"