Trying to Get Pregnant

When you get your BFP...

What is the order of people you will tell and at how many weeks?

I am horrible at keeping secrets so this will be tough but I will swear DH to secrecy until at LEAST 12 weeks! After that my parents and family abroad, then his parents and then the rest of his ginormous family!

Confession: DH is a huge Miami Dolphins fan so I ordered an infant size Dolphins bodysuit to keep on standby for when the day comes to suprise DH with the news!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When you get your BFP...

• I'll tell family probably around 7 weeks. Close friends I'll tell a little after that. I'll tell others after 12 weeks.

• It is going to be seriously hard to keep a secret for that long! I think I will tell my sister when I find out (and swear her to secrecy), just so I have told SOMEONE. Everyone else will probably be told after the 12 week mark, though I am sure I will potentially slip!

I refused to buy anything for a baby until there is one though...makes me nervous to think of a baby item staring at me when I have no baby!

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • DH of course then my parents and in laws.
  • We'll tell my parents and inlaws right away.  They are people I am ok with knowing and will want the support from if I miscarry.  Extended family after the first U/S and the Facebook world after 1st Tri ends.
  • Telling DH right away obviously. Then as soon as he knows, I'm going to tell my best friend who has been waiting for 6 years for me to have a baby haha. We will probably tell our parents after the first appointment (8 weeks?) and then wait until 12 weeks for everyone else.
    TTC #1 since 10/14/12 // 1/2013: 7DPO blood work revealed low progesterone/luteal phase defect // 2/2013: DH's SA - Normal // BFP 2/25/13 - EDD 10/30/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimageMy blog!
  • I just got my BFP this AM, will double-check with a digi this evening.

I think "when to tell" is a personal decision.  The rate of MC goes way down after 1st tri, so a lot of people wait until then.  I believe the rate is also lowered after you hear the HB.  However, anything can happen, so I'm not sure that any time is "safe".

The biggest thing for me is waiting until after 1st tri to tell "the world" and to also wait until after that time to tell anyone who may "spill the beans", i.e. my MIL!  My plan is to call (probably tomorrow) the OB/GYN that I want to be my Dr. and see when they would want to see me.  If it's soon, then I may wait to tell anyone but DH.  If it's not until 8-10 weeks (normal), I may not be able to hold out telling my mom and possibly my BF.  Also, my BF is on "baby watch" with me and makes me drink some sort of alcohol when she comes home (she lives about 3 hours away).  So, if she comes home anytime soon, I'll probably have to spill the beans.

With the timing, April Fool's Day is exactly 14 weeks for me.  I may tell anyone that we want to tell in person/via phone the weekend before that and then do a facebook announcement on April Fool's Day - keep everyone guessing!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMrsNortz:

What is the order of people you will tell and at how many weeks?

I am horrible at keeping secrets so this will be tough but I will swear DH to secrecy until at LEAST 12 weeks! After that my parents and family abroad, then his parents and then the rest of his ginormous family!

Confession: DH is a huge Miami Dolphins fan so I ordered an infant size Dolphins bodysuit to keep on standby for when the day comes to suprise DH with the news!

I'm a fan too! DH isn't really into football but it will be so cute to get a onesie once I get that BFP.

I'll tell immediate family at 8 weeks and friends at 12weeks.

3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions 
    TTC since 10/2010 (Rhythm method since 2007)

Me (33) Sept 2012 - DX Low ovulation/progesterone, Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 5/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good;
    September 2014 DX Hashimoto's; November 2014: PCOS IR

DH (37) Sept 2012 SA Normal; October 2014 Mild MFI count 42 Million, Motility 36%, Morphology 2%. Clomid 50mg,
    2004 Cyrosurgery, LEEP
    May 2012 - HSG Clear; June 2012 - Appointment with RE
    July 2012 - October 2012 - Clomid 50mg W/ TI & Progesterone 3 mature follicles- BFN
    January 2013 IUI #1 (900,000 post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 2 mature follicles - BFN
    February 2013 IUI #2 (1.3 Mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 4 mature follicles - BFN
    March 2013 IUI #1-3 (2.5 mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, Baby Aspirin (lining thinned) TI & Progesterone - 2 mature follicles BFN
    April 2013 Benched due to cyst, May 2013 WTF appointment
    June 2013 DH SA mild MFI break for 2 months to re-test; August 2013 - DH SA 36 Mil count, 36% Motility, Morp 2%
    September - December 2013 - Mental sanity Break
    January 2014 - IUI #4 switches to natural due to scheduling conflict Femara TI & Progesterone - 1 mature follicle - BFN
    May 2014-June 2014 - DH Appointment w/ Urologist to check Bi-lateral Varicocele; 2nd opinion w/ another urologist - bi-lateral varicocele dx is slight no surgery
    July 2014 DH starts clomid 25mg daily SA 53.8 Mil count, Motility 37%, Morph 3%;
    September 2014 DH Repeat SA after being on clomid for 3 months 42 Mil Count, Motility 36%, Morph 2%
    October 2014 Me: Hashimoto's DX, DH taken off clomid;
    November 2014 Me: new RE PCOS IR Diagnosis
    December 2014: IUI #4 Follitism 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, BFMFN

January 2015: IUI #5
    Gonal-F 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, Another BFMFN onto IUI #6

• imagekrdesi:

It is going to be seriously hard to keep a secret for that long! I think I will tell my sister when I find out (and swear her to secrecy), just so I have told SOMEONE. Everyone else will probably be told after the 12 week mark, though I am sure I will potentially slip!

I refused to buy anything for a baby until there is one though...makes me nervous to think of a baby item staring at me when I have no baby!

I know what you mean, this crossed my mind too but I gave in since I know this is how I want to tell him and I don't want to wait 5 days for shipping lol.

• I will tell my DH right away. He will be forced to look at the pee stick.

Last time we told parents, siblings, and a good friend around 6 weeks. This was earlier than I wanted, but I was going to be in the friends wedding and I wanted to let her know asap since she was picking dresses. I figured I needed to tell our parents first, so we did.

We told grandparents at 12 weeks after the NT scan results came out. And we let our parents tell everyone else.

I told work around 13 weeks.

I'll probably follow a similar schedule. My parents are out of state and visiting around Easter. I'd love to tell them in person, so if I get pregnant that will play a part.

I'm switching jobs at the end of May (same company) and would prefer not to tell work before I move. If I get pregnant this month, then that would make me around 16 weeks.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageatcwag:

I just got my BFP this AM, will double-check with a digi this evening.

Congratulations!

• Will probably tell parents around 8 weeks.  Which inevitably means gossip and all the families finding out (especially DH's family) which inevitably means the whole world finds out.  That's the worst part and my only hesitation with telling families at 8 weeks.  But I know my parents would be ticked off if I didn't tell them.  Fine balance.  Although when I was pregnant in 2012 I didn't feel the need to tell anybody at all except DH, our families still don't know about our loss. 

With regards to friends, sometime after that unless they highly suspect it from my actions. 

Anybody at work, they can play a guessing game with me, I don't feel the need to make that kind of announcement. 

Facebook - wall is already private so no worries there.

We are pretty private. 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Obviously, H right away. We might tell his parents and my dad when we hear a HB. We will tell everyone else, including my mom sometime after 1st Tri.

I just want to put this out there: having to untell people is the worst experience in the world. I always used to say that I wanted to tell people early in case we had a loss and I wanted/needed support. Well, I've gotten the most support from people I had to tell or found out by accident. My boss, my friends from work, and a few IRL friends who knew about our first pregnancy have been the most amazing support to me. My mother, on the other hand, has a been a burden and is the least supportive of anyone. I thought she would be amazing and she has been the furthest from that. Hence the reason she'll know with everyone else next time.  

If we even put it on FB, it'll be 20 weeks+. 

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• imageatcwag:

I think "when to tell" is a personal decision.  The rate of MC goes way down after 1st tri, so a lot of people wait until then.  I believe the rate is also lowered after you hear the HB.  However, anything can happen, so I'm not sure that any time is "safe".

The biggest thing for me is waiting until after 1st tri to tell "the world" and to also wait until after that time to tell anyone who may "spill the beans", i.e. my MIL!  My plan is to call (probably tomorrow) the OB/GYN that I want to be my Dr. and see when they would want to see me.  If it's soon, then I may wait to tell anyone but DH.  If it's not until 8-10 weeks (normal), I may not be able to hold out telling my mom and possibly my BF.  Also, my BF is on "baby watch" with me and makes me drink some sort of alcohol when she comes home (she lives about 3 hours away).  So, if she comes home anytime soon, I'll probably have to spill the beans.

With the timing, April Fool's Day is exactly 14 weeks for me.  I may tell anyone that we want to tell in person/via phone the weekend before that and then do a facebook announcement on April Fool's Day - keep everyone guessing!

OMG Congrats!!! Fx for a positive digi!

• Well, definitely DH right away. Don't think I'll even be able to hold out long enough to do something cute. Probably the best friend right away as well. No one else until after the first u/s. I'm a private person. Almost no one knows that we are TTC.
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Right Away: DH, My Mom, My Grandpa and 2 Best Friends...These are the people I'm closest to and I'm around a LOT. I get HORRIBLE all day sickness pretty early in my pregnancies so it'd be super hard to keep it from them...

13 weeks of after: Everyone else.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• I'm probably going to have issues when it comes because I'll want to do cartwheels down the middle of the road.  I'll tell my sister right away-she's away at college so I don't have to worry about it slipping-and she's my bestie.  I'm mostly worried about telling my mom before 12 weeks because she CAN NOT keep her mouth shut about ANYTHING.  And I don't want anything shared with anyone until 12 weeks, I think.  I agree about FB-that announcement will never be made, but I'm sure someone will wind up spilling the beans for me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think dh and I will find out together.  I imagine we would tell our parents and siblings around 8 weeks, grandparents and close friends around 12, and then facebook people closer to when we find out the gender. 
  • When we had our CP, we told our 2 closest friends (the only ones who know we are TTC) right away. They'd see right through us if we tried to hide it. As for our parents, not until after 1st u/s because I want to have the picture to give them. Everyone else will find out after 1st tri.
    KLS1003.2

BabyFetus Ticker
  • DH will find out when I do and then we plan on keeping it quiet until at least 12 weeks.  I may tell my best friend, she's a doula and I plan on utilizing her throughout my whole pregnancy, and she's the only person that knows we're trying. 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • imageHatchetFace:
    imageatcwag:

I was lurking on 1st-Tri and saw your BFP post. Congrats!! 

Same here! Congrats atc! FX for a happy and healthy 9 mos.!!

• I will tell DH right away obviously. Then it depends on when we get pregnant when we tell our parents but they will be next. I would like to tell them in person in a cute way so if it is around a holiday or occasion that will be easiest.

At around 8 weeks I will tell my best and closest friends and the rest of the world after 12 weeks.

I have to tell this annoying story about my cousin and how they told about their second. They told us they were going to start trying for another one starting last March. On March 25th I saw a Facebook post of her pee stick. Not only is this their second child that they conceived on the first try but their immediate family had to hear it ON FACEBOOK, BEFORE confirmed by a blood test at the doctor, and they didn't even call the family members who don't have Facebook...

Sorry just had to vent about that.
    Married since 10/2011
    TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Dx: No Sperm Count

History:
    Referred to RE after SA results
    HSG, bloodwork, and U/S all good
    3 Non-Medicated IUIs + 1 Clomid IUI w/ Trigger = All BFNs

Today:
    Dr says 2 more Clomid IUIs until we move to IVF

Our Fur-baby Shelby

My Ovulation Chart

• We will definitely tell our parents right away.  We will need that support from them after having gone through a M/C recently.  We won't tell anyone else until we've reached 12 weeks.  Even then, I'm still iffy.
  • My DH will definitely be first. Then I will tell my mom, step dad and sisters right away. FIL will find out special. He loves kids and doesn't have any grand children yet. He was diagnosed with bone cancer last year but since it's in early stages they don't have treatment for it until it progesses. He wants grand children really bad and thinks it will be years before he sees his first. So that makes me most excited. Of course MIL and SIL will find out right away too but friends and co workers won't find out until at least 12 weeks.

TTC #1 since August 2012

BFP 7/5/13 ~EDD 3/17/14 - MC 7/22/13

DX PCOS 9/17/13 - Cyst on left ovary benched on BCP

10/12/13 Cyst is gone starting cycle #1 Femara - U/S shows no response

11/19/13 Large cyst on right ovary. Benched again.

12/18/13 2 cm cyst still on my right ovary. Back to BCP. 

1/10/14 start femara 5mg for 10 days

IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • With DS --> DH right away, close friends around 7-9 weeks, my parents at 10 weeks, his at 12 and the world right after.  We wanted to wait to tell parents in person and had trips planned which is why they found out after close friends.  Since first tri was so awful for me (from being told I did miscarry then bleeding for the remaining 5 weeks without an answer as to why) I needed support at work and from my other close friends.  (I broke into tears pretty much 5 times a day for 5 weeks so...)

This time around, depending on the circumstances, I'll most likely keep it to myself and DH for a bit, then parents around 10 weeks, then friends at 12 weeks.  Although, it will most likely slip to a few friends before.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• DH will be the first person I tell.  Then I will probably tell my internet friends since they don't know my IRL friends and family and are smart enough to not blow up my FB page.  Not sure when I plan to tell other people including family.  I don't really put much on my FB page.  My DH is the FB whore in our family.  He will probably announce on FB after 12 weeks or so. 

We told close friends and family at 10 weeks with DS and by 12 weeks I think pretty much everybody knew.

• We will likely do what we did with DD -- tell our parents/BIL right away, tell my best friend and maybe a few other really close friends after we have the confirmation appt. with my OB around 7-8 weeks, and everyone else (ie, extended family, DH's coworkers, neighbors, etc.) after we hit the 12 week mark. I didn't do an "announcement" on FB till after our 20 week a/s and we found out she was a girl -- will definitely wait that long to do that again too. I wouldn't mind keeping it a secret from everyone except immediate family till 12 weeks, but my best friends are really nosy/observant, and will probably figure it out if we got together before that point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH will know right away -- I can't imagine sitting on the news!  For DD, we kept the news to ourselves for a couple weeks before telling parents and siblings, and I enjoyed just sharing it with DH in that time. 

I told work around 14 weeks when I started to show (DH told his work around 8-9 weeks, sigh), and most of the world found out around 22 weeks when a friend posted a pic of me on fb pregnant.  I think keeping it a secret is easier when your first tri isn't so bad -- my SIL was sick from the start, and there was no way she could hide it from work without them thinking something else was seriously wrong.

* Married June 2008 * * DD born August 2011 *
    BFP#2 2/19/13 EDD 11/1/13!
  • I would like to try and surprise my DH somehow within the day I get a BFP, but he has been constantly asking about charting/testing etc. so I may not get to surprise him.  I think I would like to tell the immediate families all together (we have G2Gs both sides fairly often) so whenever that first G2G will be probably 4-8 wks.

Edit - I will have to let work know fairly early just due to the nature of my job and need to avoid possible exposure to hazardous chemicals, etc.  

• With my first I told my H right away as well as my mom (I think she ended up telling my dad).  We waited a few more weeks and told my sisters, his parents and siblings.  I also told two close friends at about 8-9 weeks.  We didn't tell everyone else until after we had the NT scan around 12ish weeks.  I think I will probably end up doing the same this time around.
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Unfortunately, at my job I will have to tell the people I work with right away. I work with animals and we do a lot of xrays and such, so they have to know asap that I can't help with certain things. It kinda sucks because if you have a m/c, everyone knows. I will tell my immediate family and In-laws between 6-8 weeks, depending on how everything is going. DH will know right away Wink. I will probably tell my extended family after 12 weeks.
    My Ovulation Chart Me-35, DH-39. TTC#1
  • Both sets of parents, siblings and my 2 besties right away. My boss at 8 weeks when we see the heartbeat. then everyone else at 12 weeks.
  • I have been on the fence about this. I was team right away until one of our friends recently had a MC, she had just told everyone then had to untell.
    But DH and my SIL will know right away. Other than that I'm not too sure when we will tell our families.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married Since March 2011 TTC since July 2011 Medical issues finally sorted out May 2012
  • I think this question is asked once per week. 

hitched 5/2009 -- Me 34, DH 39

TTC #1:
    dx with POCS 7/2009
    TTC on & off since 1/2012
    September 2012; Surprise BFP - MC
    June - December 2013; Clomid/Femara + Trigger + TI = BFN x 4
    April - May 2016; Femara + TI = BFN x 2
    July 2016 - December 2016; Gonal-F + Ovidren + IUI = BFN x 3
    May 2018 - IVF #1; 8 snowbabies. transferred 1 embryo - CP
    August 2018 - FET #1 -- Healthy Baby Boy  <3

TTC #2:
    July 2020 FET; beta 1 310, beta 2 1278

• Well DH and I waited until 8 weeks to tell just our parents - we didn't want to tell others (including siblings)until 12 weeks.  Of course there were leaks (on FB) which really hurt my feelings - I didn't want to share with FB at all - and certainly not before US/heartbeat etc.  And friends found out before I told them and got upset etc. etc. it was terrible!  I'm still mad about that!

This time around I think we will keep it a secret from everyone as long as we can - I'm sure fat rumours will start earlier because apparently with your 2nd you show faster.  There is something special about just having a secret between you and DH - in the end everyone will know - but at first it's really fun!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely tell DH immediately. I would like to wait until after 12 weeks to tell others but I know I won't be able to keep it a secret that long. My job may know before many people. I'm a cashier at a grocery store so they'll need to know/figure it out if I deal with MS. Same with my mom and dad. They'd figure it out pretty quick because I'm never sick so I can't make stuff up about having a stomach bug every time I see them.

But I won't go FB official until after first tri is over for sure.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think I will tell my sister & her husband pretty much right away, or a couple days after the BFP. Possibly two close friends 2 weeks later. Everyone else, once first tri hits.

I'm torn between the idea of a cute FB announcement and just never saying anything at all on there. I guess I'll have to see when the time comes.  

TTC #1 since July 2012
  • I'd like to say we'll go:
    - DH - will find out as soon as the test shows up positive
    - family and friends who are close enough to know we are trying: after the first appointment (6-8 weeks, I believe)
    - extended family and friends: 12 weeks
    - facebook: probably as soon as all extended family and friends we want to tell in person know...

What will most likely happen, since DH and I both suck at keeping secrets:
    Anyone who will listen, as soon as the pee stick dries Stick out tongueEmbarrassed

• imageatcwag:

Congrats, and I love your April Fools plan!

Yes

Cat-Pregnancy-Test-Meme

• imagebornmommy:

With DS --> DH right away, close friends around 7-9 weeks, my parents at 10 weeks, his at 12 and the world right after.  We wanted to wait to tell parents in person and had trips planned which is why they found out after close friends.  Since first tri was so awful for me (from being told I did miscarry then bleeding for the remaining 5 weeks without an answer as to why) I needed support at work and from my other close friends.  (I broke into tears pretty much 5 times a day for 5 weeks so...)

This time around, depending on the circumstances, I'll most likely keep it to myself and DH for a bit, then parents around 10 weeks, then friends at 12 weeks.  Although, it will most likely slip to a few friends before.

The support @ work thing is a big consideration for me. I've had many friends MC, some that have told people early on, and some that waited. I've heard pros and cons for both sides. I'm guessing it would be hard for me to keep it a secret at work, because I work in a small office with almost all women. We talk a LOT...

I'm sorry for your loss, btw

Cat-Pregnancy-Test-Meme

• We will tell our parents at 6 weeks. 

With DD we waited until 13 weeks to tell.  I was sick with her and had to make excuses as to why I didn't feel like doing anything.  We like to take DD to visit the grandparents a few times a month, so I won't be able to hide it.  I am such a baby when my stomach is upset. 

We will tell siblings at 12 weeks and then friends sometime after that.

Anna Catherine 7/23/2012, 35 weeks 5 days, 5 lbs 5 oz (PProm)

Baby Sam 10/4/2013, 36 weeks 2 days, 5 lbs 14 oz

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"