March 2013 Moms

How do you feel about expectant mother parking NOW?

Just for fun, because some people were sooo "pregnancy is not a disability" when they had tiny bumps.  Now that you're hauling around something the size of a pineapple in your poor old uterus and trying not to piss yourself as you skate across the parking lot, do you appreciate the parking spots more?

I sure as hell do.  Of course I'm also arm wrestling a 2 year old as I walk, who is as compliant and wieldy as an angry bag of cats. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Why do they have to make it smell so good if you can't eat it?? BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How do you feel about expectant mother parking NOW?

• I think my husband is a lot more appreciative of it when we go to the grocery store and it's slammed...  He used to scoff at the spots before I was pregnant, but now he doesn't hesitate to pull right on in.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I feel the same as I did before.  When I was newly pregnant, I left them for the really pregnant ladies. Now that I AM a really pregnant lady, I get to use them and not feel bad about it.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • The only place I've seen them is in front of Buy Buy Baby, and they piss me off more now because they are always filled with women who literally just peed on the stick. Seriously? Those spots are not for you!

I LOVE your 2nd paragraph! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagewittyschaffy:
    I feel the same as I did before.  When I was newly pregnant, I left them for the really pregnant ladies. Now that I AM a really pregnant lady, I get to use them and not feel bad about it.  :)

I agree! I finally am using them. Before I felt too guilty or like I shouldn't, but now with less than 6 weeks to go I'm taking advantage of it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can totally see why an expectant mom with a toddler or baby would need them, but honestly I'm 31 weeks and still fine to walk from a regular parking spot.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• I also left them for the "really pregnant ladies" in the beginning but now at 31 weeks, I take advantage. I have no issues walking from a regular spot but why not indulge.
  • Still haven't had used one.  That being said, there aren't many places I go that offer them. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't have any around where I live.  I don't know I don't think it is a big deal.  If there was one and it was open I would probably use it now that I am 33 weeks.  I 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageBabyMayinMarch:
    Still haven't had used one.nbsp; That being said, there aren't many places I go that offer them.nbsp;

True. The only place I've seen them is at a baby store and my doctor's office.
  • If there's an open one, I take it. If the spot is already taken, and I see a man (solo) or someone without any bump taking it, it irritates the heck out of me!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I definitely appreciate them more with this pregnancy then I did with my others.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have not found any mommy to be parking in our area, would love it thou! 

• I haven't seen any in my area, but I am tempted to use the electronic shopping carts in the store. Usually about half way through the trip I'm leaning on the cart and swaying my hips cuz my back hurts. I'm sure it looks real cute :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've never really cared about them either way. I have only used them once. When I couldn't find a spot to park and it was pouring. I was around 28 weeks pregnant so not really really showing but enough that I hoped people didn't think I was just taking the spot for no reason.. But I figure when I have to walk far it is probably better to get the exercise anyway.

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I love them... but they are always filled by someone who is clearly not pregnant, like men and that makes me want to f ing punch them. My baby dropped already and I waddles and I have a 2 year old sooooo it would be nice to use that spot.
  • I wouldn't use them if we had them, but I'm used to walking everywhere in the city, it's not unusual for me to walk a mile to get somewhere and I'm 33 weeks along.  I don't have a problem with them though, I'm sure in other parts of the country people don't walk quite as much so it's helpful.  On the other hand, it's very uncomfortable for me to stand still for a long time so I always take seats offered to me on the train.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I personally think parking spots for people will small children would be more useful.  I'm almost 34 weeks and have no problems walking (in fact I am on my feet most of the day and still going to the gym)....but getting my 2.5 year old from the car into the store is much more of a challenge than getting my pregnant self in!  I am not looking forward to taking a newborn and a toddler to the store!
    BFP #1 - 9/26/09 MC/D&C - 10/23/09 BFP#2 - 12/18/09 STICK BABY STICK!!! Caden Arthur born 8/2/2010 @ 9:00PM - 37 weeks BFP #3 - 7/6/12 Caden is going to be a big brother! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker MY BLOG
  • I park in them when they are available. Also lol@ arm wrestling the toddler. 
  • I never park in them.  Not sure why.  I have a toddler with me but he's pretty good about sticking with me.  I don't think they're necessary, but I was never one to be super uncomfortable throughout my last pregnancy (even at the very end) and so far I'm staying pretty comfortable with this one as well.  If I was having a lot of pain and discomfort I might be singing a different tune about these parking spots!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used one for the first time today at the grocery store. Our little guy is sitting super low and me waddling from the back of the parking lot takes forever and completely exhausts me. I'd never really thought about how luxurious these spots could be before getting to this stage of pregnancy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not many places around here have them except BRU and the mall (which those spots say for expectant moms and families with small kids) and I *totally* take advantage. Between it being freezing cold, me having a huge belly and having to carry a 20+ lb 1 year old, 10lb diaper bag and hold the hand or carry my 2.5 year old- I don't feel bad at all. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I appreciate those spots!  I have one assigned at work, and it's really awesome.  Only other place I've seen with them is BRU, and I use them when I'm there (which isn't often).
    Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • imageBabyMayinMarch:
    Still haven't had used one.  That being said, there aren't many places I go that offer them. 

Same here.  The only place really is the hospital where I get blood work and NSTs done.  When I went for my 3 hour glucose test, the lot was packed and I was going to have to park literally a half mile away (and I had a set appt time to make).  I swung around hoping one of those spots was open, but they weren't.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, pregnancy still isn't a disability.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagej_st.charles:
    I personally think parking spots for people will small children would be more useful.  I'm almost 34 weeks and have no problems walking (in fact I am on my feet most of the day and still going to the gym)....but getting my 2.5 year old from the car into the store is much more of a challenge than getting my pregnant self in!  I am not looking forward to taking a newborn and a toddler to the store!

Ugh, yes.  I'm already stressing about this too. You're probably right: I really didn't mind walking pre-toddler but now I am ready to fight someone over a good parking spot. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Why do they have to make it smell so good if you can't eat it?? BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMmm79:
    I can totally see why an expectant mom with a toddler or baby would need them, but honestly I'm 31 weeks and still fine to walk from a regular parking spot.  

This.  I do, however, recognize every pregnancy is different.  I think it's a nice gesture for women who feel as if they need it.  Luckily I only drive a few times every month when I go to visit my parents. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imageMmm79:
    I can totally see why an expectant mom with a toddler or baby would need them, but honestly I'm 31 weeks and still fine to walk from a regular parking spot.  

I agree with all of this.

The only time I've used one was a few weeks ago when I went into the city with a couple of gfs for dinner and a movie. To pass time in between, we went to Wal-Mart (which I think is the only store one can find those parking spots in this particular city anyways). My one gf was 36 weeks pregnant with a sprained ankle while the other just had a cast removed after 3+ months of casts and crutches for a broken ankle. It was late out so the parking lot was fairly empty anyways but my pregnant friend suggested we use the spot for expectant moms and/or those with child. I cramp up from a lot of walking and I knew my gfs would appreciate a shorter walk, so we parked there.

However, I was back at the same Wal-Mart today and did not use one of the spots even though it was empty. I parked across from it so I was almost as close anyways. Although I'm in a lot of pain from SPD and have a lovely waddle going on right now, I figured that it's kind of silly for me to use a spot that's closer to the store when I'm going to be doing a whole heck of a lot of walking IN the store. Kind of defeats the purpose, right? Although walking isn't easy for me right now, I think a mom with a baby or toddler in tow could make much better use of that parking spot than I can. Give me a few more weeks though and I may change my tune. ;)

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Only one place near me has expectant mother parking and that's the grocery store. I never used to use it but now that I'm 34 weeks and getting big, I do. It helps a lot living in Wisconsin. Parking lots get pretty slippery this time of year and I feel a little unsteady at times. The less distance I have to walk, the safer I feel.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I appreciated the ones they have at Babies R Us when I rolled up the other day and had to pee after 20 minutes sitting in traffic :( I also appreciated the spot when I rolled out of there with a stroller, car seat, and a bunch of other stuff. I did NOT appreciate that the couple who took the other spot was not even pregnant, but shopping for a baby shower (I overheard them talking in the store).

However, I just think the spots are for courtesy/customer perk and I don't think it should be necessary for any store to provide them. Subtle but important difference.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Location of the spot isn't as big a deal to me, but I do appreciate the spots (usually ones that are pregnancy/small children) that allow extra space to open the doors wider. If it is just me, I can park closer to one side to give myself the extra room, but if DS1 is with me, I need the extra space on both sides of the car.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"