3rd Trimester
Options

help! glucose test came back high

Hi mommies to be...I need advise I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I had a glucose test when I first got pregnant and it came back high, had to go back and sit at drs office for 3 hours and drink the nasty juice and have blood drawn 3 times every hour. The test results came back normal.

Dr. made me take another test last month and once again I'm told it came back high and have to do the 3 hour test again!!!

I don't think I eat that bad! I'm trying to be careful but don't know where I'm going wrong. anyone have any advise???  

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: help! glucose test came back high

• Options

Why would they give you a glucose test before 28+ weeks? And why do it twice? There's a lot of information missing. I'm confused.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's not about what you eat (although that's how you can control it, it's not the cause).  It's caused by the way your pancreas handles the hormones of pregnancy.  There are things that can put you at higher risk (history, weight, etc.) but there are most definitely people with no history, are thin, eat well and they still have GD so don't blame yourself and work with your doctor/nutritionist to find a balance of food that keeps your sugars in check.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedande2129:
    Why would they give you a glucose test before 28 weeks? And why do it twice? There's a lot of information missing. I'm confused.

I've heard that some doctors will do a glucose test earlier in the pregnancy if a patient is deemed at higher risk of developing GD.

image image
  • Options

I passed my earlier tests (had GD with my daughter's pregnancy) and failed at 28 weeks.

But if you do have gestational diabetes, there's nothing your diet did to "cause" it. It's a communication/interaction problem between your pancreas and the placenta. You cannot "give" yourself GD.

My advice is to follow your OB's instructions on the test (fasting, etc) and go from there. If you want more info on GD, there are lots of us who have it over on the High Risk board (although not all OBs, including mine, treat GD as high risk).

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Options
    My ob does a GD test with the first blood draws and they also do the one at 28 weeks. 
  • Options

Thank u for your advise 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagedande2129:

Why would they give you a glucose test before 28+ weeks? And why do it twice? There's a lot of information missing. I'm confused.

There were high amounts of sugar in my urine around 18 weeks, so I was given the GTT early, too. Because I was given the test so early in my pregnancy, I had to take it again at 29 weeks.

OP-I had the same exact outcome as you. I was given the test early and failed the one hour by a few points. I took the three hour and passed it. When I was told I'd have to take the test again around 29 weeks, I was given the option to try the one hour or go directly to the three hour. I thought by dieting that I'd be able to pass the one hour but I failed it again and went on to pass the three hour. My OB was fine with my results, so nothing to worry about. It just has to do with how your body is processing your sugars.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've had to take it eat w/ my second pregnancy and with this one because I had G.d. W/ first pregnancy. I refuse the 3 hour test because the American diabeties association recommends a different test, but I also know I have it so no need to put myself through it. I will be taking my test at 27 weeks because I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead of schedule. The trick is to limit all carbs at every meal. For me I can eat 30grams of carbs per meal. I can't have bread, pasta, potatoes or any starches, fruit juice and have to limit my fresh fruit to only a few pieces a day spread out through the day. And excersise everyday and if u know you are going to eat a lot of carbs/sugar one day make plans to excersise right after to help w/ blood sugar.
  • Options

You had your blood drawn three times every HOUR?  Are you sure about that?

Why would your dr have you take another test?  And why wait a month between the 1 and 3 hours?  

Your post doesn't make much sense. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagesucrets4:

Why would your dr have you take another test?  And why wait a month between the 1 and 3 hours?  

Her post actually makes perfect sense. Some OBs require a GTT test early on in the pregnancy. Hers obviously did. She failed the 1 hour, then took the 3-hour--which she passed. With the 3-hour, they measure your fasting sugar levels, make you drink the glucose drink, then test your sugar levels every hour for 3 hours. She passed this one.

Then, her OB ordered another 1-hr GTT at 28 weeks, which is the standard week. She didn't pass this one, so she has to take the 3-hour test again.

I don't understand what's so confusing about that.

OP, I'm sorry you have to take the 3-hour GTT again. That thing sucks. And like PPs have already stated, you're most likely not doing anything to cause this. It's how your pancreas reacts to pregnancy hormones. Chill out, though; like my OB told me, if you have GD, so what? It'll have been caught, you'll be put on a diet, and everything will be fine! Good luck!   

It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • Options
    imagepanacea05:
    imagesucrets4:

Her post actually makes perfect sense. Some OBs require a GTT test early on in the pregnancy. Hers obviously did. She failed the 1 hour, then took the 3-hour--which she passed. With the 3-hour, they measure your fasting sugar levels, make you drink the glucose drink, then test your sugar levels every hour for 3 hours. She passed this one.

Then, her OB ordered another 1-hr GTT at 28 weeks, which is the standard week. She didn't pass this one, so she has to take the 3-hour test again.

I don't understand what's so confusing about that.

OP, I'm sorry you have to take the 3-hour GTT again. That thing sucks. And like PPs have already stated, you're most likely not doing anything to cause this. It's how your pancreas reacts to pregnancy hormones. Chill out, though; like my OB told me, if you have GD, so what? It'll have been caught, you'll be put on a diet, and everything will be fine! Good luck!   

The biggest confusion is that she (I believe mistakenly) said she had her blood drawn three times EVERY hour of the 3 hour test.  Obviously that's not accurate - it's once an hour for the duration of the 3 hour test. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"