April 2013 Moms

DH business trip at 37w??

So DH just found out that he has to go to a conference out in DC for 5 days in March... I'll be 37 weeks! We live in Ohio, so that's an 8 hour drive. We don't really know anyone who lives close by, I have one friend here and DH has work friends but we don't really hang out with anyone. All of our friends and family are 2 hours away in Indiana... I'm really nervous to be alone so close to my due date!

Am I crazy for being so worried about going into labor this early? This is our first baby and I've read that women usually go longer with this one. Any thoughts or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage

Re: DH business trip at 37w??

• Can the company fly him out there, so that if you go into labor, he can switch flights and come home immediately?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I suggested that, but he wants to drive because he gets another $500 for using his own vehicle. He think he'll get home faster if he drives bc 'you never know if you'll be able to get a flight when you need it or if there's a delay'

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • If it were me, I'd just not go.  Not sure if that is an option for him.  I have begged off of all travel (work and pleasure) in this pregnancy.  Just not interested.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It was me, I wouldn't be that worried.  It's pretty unlikely that a first baby comes that early.
  • If he can get out of it, I would try very hard to make that happen. IMO, a work conference is not worth potentially missing the birth of your child.
    BFP #1, 12/22/09 - DD#1 born 9/2010
    BFP #2, 12/12/11, m/c 12/25/11
    BFP #3, 3/09/12, CP 3/10/12
    BFP #4, 7/22/12, DD#2 born 4/2013

• That's cutting it kinda of close and it would make me nervous, but I do have my kiddo's early. (just being honest) Every single women is different, and some FTM's deliver really late as well. I just happen to happen my babe's like 3 weeks early all the time. I do have friend's that go to 41 weeks, so who knows. Good Luck to you and try not stress about it. I know it's easier said than done. 
  • imageJSS1002:

Can the company fly him out there, so that if you go into labor, he can switch flights and come home immediately?

This is what we are doing. DH is leaving at 37 weeks as well for 5 days. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Can someone come out to stay with you during his trip? We live in WA and DH is currently in Southern California for a conference that he could not get out of.  My mother flew up to stay with me so I wouldn't be all by myself in case I go into PTL (I'm currently on modified bed rest).  It made us all feel better to have someone stay with me just in case.
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • If he does go, maybe it will help you to feel better knowing that first labors are usually on the longer side, like 12-18 hours, which would be enough time for him to make the drive home. HTH! 
  • I went into labor with DD (my first) at 37W5D and had her within 4 hours.  Just based on my personal experience, I would not let my DH travel that close to my due date...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • oh ladies... i completely agree with all of you!

when we talked today at lunch he told me he couldn't say no to his client or his boss since the conference is directly related to his specific job (he does intelligence work and the conference is at the NSA).

i don't know what to do! i would go with him but i'm afraid i'll be miserable on the 8 hour drive, but at least we'd be together if I went into labor. UGH!

imageimage
  • If he feels he has to go and can't get out of it and you don't have any family or friends living close maybe a Doula would be an option for you.  If you go into labor while he is away she would be with you to support you until he gets home.  Even if he is home when you go into labor it might be nice to have a second support person for you and DH. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • While it's not as likely you'll go early with your first, it is possible, and 37 weeks is classified as "full term".  I was on bedrest for my first pregnancy at 32 weeks due to preterm labor, so my situation was a little different, but DH stopped traveling for work at that point.  He has also been off of the travel list at work since 25 weeks this time due to preterm labor complications as well.  He will travel if he absolutely has to, but only if my mom can come stay with me while he's gone.

I would say, although it's not likely, if he can get out of it, that would be better.  At 37 weeks, I would hope his company would understand.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"