2nd Trimester

Doctor revealed sex and I am sad...

Let me start by saying...I am thrilled beyond belief that all test have come back positive.  I had additional bloodwork done because I am 37 and my risk for trisomy disorders was not that reduced after the 13 week screening.  So everything is GREAT.

However, I feel like an emotional wreck and I am sitting in my office trying hard not to cry.  The geneticist came on the phone...gave me the results and said you are having a boy.  Apparently, this additional blood test determines sex because it is literally looking at chromosomes.

So why do I feel sooooo guilty that I am crying because it is not the little girl I wanted?  I have three nephews, I wanted something different, I LOVE pink and I am obsessed with little girl stuff.

Is it ok to be disappointed?  How do I stop feeling this way?  Maybe I should go to Target after work and get some cute biy things to cheer me up?

I would love any advice.  All my friends had thei kids 10 years ago and aren't really good at this stuff.

Re: Doctor revealed sex and I am sad...

• No because she's not having a girl..
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image image image image
  • imagemystererae:

imageImaniJ55:
    No because she's not having a girl..

My bad. So, you're crying because you're not having a girl?

I can get being upset and everything but maybe you should cruise by the TTCAL or PGAL boards for some perspective... 

Ah yes, or 3T or IF boards.

Eta: seriously not trying to be snarky. I think checking out all these boards will help to put things into perspective 

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemystererae:

imageImaniJ55:
    No because she's not having a girl..

My bad. So, you're crying because you're not having a girl?

I can get being upset and everything but maybe you should cruise by the TTCAL or PGAL boards for some perspective... 

So true and once you hit your third tri, you won't even care if its a boy or girl. You just want them to come out healthy over everything.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image image image image
  • First post. MUD.

• I think it's normal to be disappointed. I was feeling like that when I found out this LO is a girl. I wanted a boy and any other future babies of mine I wanted them to be boys. I have a DD already and all that cutesy stuff is not for me lol I'm a plain jane kind of girl. Boys are fun and you'll love your baby no matter what gender it is. All that really matters is that LO is healthy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's not abnormal to be a little disappointed. Staying sad and disappointed is when it becomes a problem. Give yourself a second, be bummed. Then start moving on.
  • What are those boards?  I am new.  I know nothing about this.  Thanks though....
  • Considering your age i think that you should be thankful that you were able to conceive a healthy baby. That being said, you wanted a girl and got a boy and there is no changing that. I can promise you that instead of tutus and dance lessons you will fall in love with toy trucks and work boots faster than you could ever imagine.  When you see that baby for the first time all of your thoughts of little girls will disappear and you will love this little boy! I think, if this is going to be your only child, that no matter what it was you would be a little sad that it wasnt the other sex because its human nature to want what you cant have and to wonder what kind of mom you would be if it were a girl. Stay positive and love this little guy! 

• Thanks! I completely understand all that matters is health...but I can't help I am an emotional nightmare....I was simply asking for advice on how to cope.  NOT more criticism.  I feel badly enough.  Hormones suck! 
  • Thanks!  I appreciate it.  And you are right.  I started by saying all that matters is the health.  It was just disappointing and all these hormones are killing me.  I appreciate the pep talk.
  • Congrats on a healthy baby!  Now take a deep breath.  & allow yourself a little time to feel however you feel about the news.  I have known other parents who were disappointed.  As long as you are looking at the positive (healthy, which it seems you are) and don't get stuck on the disappointment, I think you will be fine.  Now that you know, you can start thinking of all the positives of having your little boy now.  

If it helps, I was sure DS was DD, as was DH.  When they announced we had a boy, we were shocked.  I actually had guilt over it and that I, obviously, wanted a girl (#18&)-1 % &; 3$1 "'41-3_ % 3$%?: % +&?314 ;( "'41-3 3" #1 & 6%2'). I am so happy it was a boy first though.  It turns out someone knew better than me :)  With DD, I thought she was going to be a boy and spent my pregnancygearing up for all the positives of 2 boys.  While I was thrilled when they said we had a girl, I had to find the positives for that relationship and let go of the ones I expected. I was always happy, but I found out when baby was here, so I think it was easier having baby in my arms.   Good luck - go find something adorably boy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks Kitten 80 and others.  You are all right and it was fleeting.  Just being stuck in the office with no one to talk to made it sort of hard.  [My office is horrible].  I do have a million things to be thankful for and I am everyday.  Emotionally though, thanks to raging hormones...I could not help my reaction.

I am headed to target for retail therapy which always works for me.  Now, I am 4 weeks ahead of time on knowing whether to buy blue or pink!  That is a total bonus!

:)

• Sorry for the #s & symbols above. I'm on my semi smart pone so I can't see once I get a few sentences in - no way to scroll.  And today, I can't get "edit" to work. Oh well.  I see you are new.  There is a Bump glossary bottom left corner that can help you with abbreviations. Things like TTC are "trying to conceive" "pgal" = "pregnant after a loss" - they are other boards as well as acronyms used in posts.  

• imageGraceInCA:
    First post. MUD.

You know some people have to post their first post at sometime.... soooo just because it's her first doesn't mean that she's automatically an MUD. Give the lady a little bit of slack for being honest and trying to get some help/support. I get people are going to disagree, but I feel like people are called out for being MUD a little too quickly around here.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im lurking because TB is slow

I had a touch of disappointment when I found it was a boy. I didnt even think I cared until I found out. Some pluses about a little boy. 

If I had a little girl, I wouldnt have a little man calling me mom in his tiny little boy voice that melts my heart

I have this weird grandeur about raising a man. I mean, not everybody gets to do it and how wonderful to see your little boy grow into this big hunk who still loves you like when he was little.

You can do a little boy's hair way before a little girl's.

Sweatshirts! 

For me, it was mostly a "cute" thing. Little boy stuff isnt cutesy to me. My guy had reflux so bad he basically wore a receiving blanket his first few months, so girl or boy, my LO wouldnt have been wearing anything cute. I remember dressing him up to go out to dinner for the first time in his little matching socks and outfit. He was so sweet and cooing at everybody. He will melt your heart. Dont worry.

• I can totally understand how your feel. I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. What helped me, was going out and shopping for baby boy things. It was so much fun and it helped keep me focus on the reality of the situation. Time heals all wounds. Give yourself some time and then go enjoy preparing for your LO!

Married: Decemb
    er 19, 2009
  • I honestly don't get this mentality. I'm sorry you're upset, but my biggest thing when I'm pregnant is making sure baby is healthy.

This is my third and I have 2 boys. All the people saying "I hope it's a girl" to me are making me want to punch them. I just feel blessed to have 2 amazing boys and hopefully another healthy baby inside me.

I really don't understand when parents are disappointed. I mean, you do know when you set out to have a child, there's a 50/50 chance you with have either sex, right? Or is that not common knowledge?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I just think this kind of attitude is a slap in the face to all the people that would kill for a healthy baby. That said, I hope you come to terms soon with this and can start feeling incredibly happy and blessed about the life you're holding in your hands instead of "crying at your desk". It just seems a little ungrateful to me. Sorry.
  • get over it and try for a girl after this one! Come on boys are great too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey OP, don't listen to the PPs who criticize. That happens on here a lot. What you are feeling does not make you a bad mommy, or mean that you prioritize sex over health of your baby. You are just adjusting to the news. Your first impression is often not the lasting one.

Have fun at Target, it sounds like you know just what you need. :
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I try to stay away from this board but I just can't, I am so jealous I am not here anymore.  Anyway, I totally get how you are feeling.  I felt really bad that my second was a boy but of course after a few hours I got over it and moved on to picking baby boy names.  Well we decided to have a third and prayed and hoped and crossed our fingers we would have a girl. At 18wks we found out we were having a little girl only problem was she was going to die.  She had an encephelocele at the base of her skull.  This is more commom in girls.  So as much as you may want that little girl,  at what cost?  Its ok to be disappointed but let yourself enjoy just being pregnant and having a healthy baby. 
  • It's ok to be disappointed. Lots of people are. Just give yourself permission to do so, and then you'll find you'll start getting excited about little boy stuff...hormones are a crazy thing! There's always the next baby...and by then, you'll probably be hoping for another sweet boy like you already have! :)
  • Give yourself some time to get over the disappointment. Cry it out, then move on. You're going to have a healthy baby boy, and that's something you'll eventually be happy about. I know everyone's probably making you guilty, saying you should be thankful that you conceived at all, etc, but there's no point in suppressing your feelings. Let them out, then move on. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • Think of the positives of a little boy!  Mine is my mommas boy and it's great!  Most of all be so thankful that the baby is healthy!  
  • I wanted a girl so badly for my first. Obviously, that didn't happen.

Now? Should fate never "give" me a daughter, I honestly would not care because I know what it's like to share a bond like no other with your child, regardless of what is between their legs.

• Meh. I think it's ok to be disappointed. You'll get over it. Better to get it out now than when you give birth, IMO. Nothing to feel guilty about.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • First, congrats on your healthy baby. As far as your disappointment with a boy, all of that will fade away when you're holding him in your arms. As a FTM, of course, I haven't experienced this first hand, but it's the truth.

Go buy some little boy things. It may help create some excitement for you.

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • It's overwhelming to find out the sex of your baby and lots of people find themselves feeling subdued for the first few days. It's normal. Once you have been able to digest this lovely news the excitement will start. Personally, I don't think it's disappointment at finding out your LO is a boy, I think it's finding out the sex full stop.

Don't let yourself feel worse than you already feel by listening to snarky comments from people. This will pass and you will be more than excited for the arrival of your son.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBabyOliveira:
    Thanks! I completely understand all that matters is health...but I can't help I am an emotional nightmare....I was simply asking for advice on how to cope.  NOT more criticism.  I feel badly enough.  Hormones suck! 

Exactly! I get your point and really I don't get why there were so many comments about looking at it in perspective. I guess you are just a bit sensitive on everything, I almost cry for nothing all the time and it's not because I am truly sad but because my hormones are crazzzy!

I know you'll love this LO as much as if he was a girl and 20 years from now you'll laugh at this 'disappointment'.

Congrats on your healthy baby!! :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• You know, I think it's completely possible to be happy and disappointed all at the same time; especially when pregnant.

It's okay to be disappointed, it's okay to feel a loss of opportunity, but at the same time remembering that baby is healthy and that it's a little person who will soon be the most amazing thing you've ever seen.

I was a little disappointed that I'm having another boy, I love my son and wanted the chance to experience parenting a boy and a girl, at the same time; I love this baby and am so thankful that I get to have another child regardless of it's gender.

Take the time to be sad and work through all your feelings, you'll find that after you've gone through it all you're okay with having a boy. After all, it's really hard to look at a tiny face that thinks you're the single most amazing woman on the earth and not love it and know it's absolutely perfect just the way it is. 

• Please be so greatful for a healthy baby. My little boy has spina bifida and health is the most important!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Expecting Logan James (Spina Bifida) May 2013. Follow our journey: http://littleloganjames.blogspot.com/
  • It's okay to be disappointed. 

And I hate the at-leasting that goes on in these posts.  The people who are at-leasting this post better never EVER complain about anything ever in their life or feel sorry for themselves about something silly.  Don't complain about traffic... some people are blind and can't drive.  Don't complain about not having enough money to go on a vacation... some people are homeless.

It's normal to be a bit disappointed when you have to rewrite in your head what you thought your future was going to be.   

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • its fine to feel how u feel but when that sweet baby boy comes out and looks at u with those lil eyes u will forget it al anyway
  • I am in the same boat! My H and i just knew we were having a girl. There are so many girls on both sides of our family. I was sad for a few days and then started feeling better. It really helped to choose a name, nursery theme and start buying a few clothing items. I found out a week ago and now I'm excited about this little boy. I am nervous about raising him because i have 4 sisters and I'm lacking in boy experience. Hope you start feeling better about it soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"