June 2013 Moms

BTDT: How many of what?

What items did you need multiples of? How many did you need? For example, in my mind, 3 crib sheets are good, but 4 would be ideal. Were there any items that surprised you as far as quantities go (more or less)?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
My blog-The Wino That I Know

Re: BTDT: How many of what?

• We had three crib sheets but could have gotten away with 2. I think 4 is too much. 2 bath towels. We got more blankets, burp cloths, and receiving blankets than we knew what to do with. Really, we could have used just 2 or 3 fleece blankets, and maybe 6-10 receiving blankets, if that much. Of course, it all depends on how often you do laundry. 

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• I would say 3 crib sheets and 3 mattress pads is safe.  We only have 2 mattress pads, and there were a handful of times a 3rd was needed. 

More towels and wash cloths than you think.  We were gifted a ton, and I thought we would never use them, but it has been useful.  And we still use the hooded baby towels at 2.5.  I'd think about how often you plan to do wash and have enough for everyday, just in case.  I use 2 wash cloths per bath.

2 changing pad covers has worked for us.  We have a 3rd and never used it.

Newborn clothing surprised me.  My DD was 7lbs 13oz at birth and wore NB size for at least a month.  She was swimming in 0-3.  And with how often they need outfit changes, we needed to go buy NB stuff. 

DD #1 August 2010 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 3 crib sheets
    6 or so swaddle blankets
    2 towels but I preferred our towels over the baby towels
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesuperace27:

I would say 3 crib sheets and 3 mattress pads is safe.  We only have 2 mattress pads, and there were a handful of times a 3rd was needed. 

More towels and wash cloths than you think.  We were gifted a ton, and I thought we would never use them, but it has been useful.  And we still use the hooded baby towels at 2.5.  I'd think about how often you plan to do wash and have enough for everyday, just in case.  I use 2 wash cloths per bath.

Newborn clothing surprised me.  My DD was 7lbs 13oz at birth and wore NB size for at least a month.  She was swimming in 0-3.  And with how often they need outfit changes, we needed to go buy NB stuff. 

hehe...That reminds me. I remember running around and playing with hooded towels well into elementary school. My mom must've gotten at least 8 years use out of them! 

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 Since July 2012-BFP Sept 27, EDD June 9, 2013, Arrived June 14, 2013
    My blog-The Wino That I Know
  • Honestly we got away with 1 crib sheet that I just replaced a month ago, and I didn't replace it just bought another to use. IDK why we only ended up having one but we did and I never even thought about having another.

We had minimal of pretty much everything, except onsies... we had about 30-40 onsies in NB (M was tiny) and 20-30 in 0-3.... I thought it was crazy over kill but it was actually really really nice. We also had like 12 of those stupid, utterly useless flannel receiving blankets. They aren't big enough to swaddle with and they don't work well as a burp cloth (in my experience prefold cloth diapers are best as burpies, and cheap) and we really had no other uses for them except the occasional changing pad. So those were a waste.

I wish we had more washcloths and hooded towels, we'll be buying a pack of 12 washcloths and getting 2-4 more towels before this baby comes.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• imageWish82:
    imagesuperace27:

I would say 3 crib sheets and 3 mattress pads is safe.  We only have 2 mattress pads, and there were a handful of times a 3rd was needed. 

hehe...That reminds me. I remember running around and playing with hooded towels well into elementary school. My mom must've gotten at least 8 years use out of them! 

They work REALLY well as hair towels too when baby doesn't need them anymore ;) my mom and I used my little brother's for probably about 8-10years too, until there were holes in them and sometimes I steal one of M's to use on my hair. They wrap nice and tight and stay put and soak up well... much better than a normal full sized one.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• We totally could have gotten away with 1 crib sheet.  DD didn't spit up at all.  Other things that we overbought/over received: socks, hats, bibs, & receiving blankets.  We could have gotten away with 3 or 4 pairs of socks, no hats or bibs, and about 2 receiving blankets.
    Formerly Photocat82, but the bump is fabulous and I somehow ended up with a corrupted account. imageAdventures in Randomness Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had 4 crib sheets (2 of my preferred pattern and 2 others that people gifted).  We were fine with the 2 sheets...never needed to pull out the others.  Same with changing pad covers...two was fine. I felt we were given WAY too many washcloths, towels, and blankets.  We were fine with a pack of each.  I re-gifted all of my extras. 

FWIW, I did laundry every 2-3 days during those early months. 

BFP#1 on 7.1.10 ~ Little Miss M born on 3.3.11 BFP#2 on 4.7.12 ~ EDD 12.17.12 ~ natural MC at 6w3d BFP#3 in 11.5.12 ~ EDD 6.29.13 ~ angel baby lost at 18w6d due to terminal diagnosis
  • 3 crib sheets 2 -3 towels.  And you can never have enough wash clothes, burp rags and blackest of different thicknesses.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have 3 crib sheets but could have done with just 2. I put the new one on and throw the old one in the laundry.

We have so many washcloths we still haven't used them all. Seriously. That and receiving blankets in addition to my A A ones that I registered for. I too got a lot of those useless flannel ones. All without receipts so I had no idea where they came from. We have maybe 4 hooded towels. I started using our towels though around a year old. They were just more practical bc they were bigger.

I also got away with only maybe 2 pacifiers at first. Until DD knew how to take them out of her mouth and throw them I could keep track of the two she liked. Now we have a crapton bc she would hide them on us. Lol.

ETA we also have more bibs than we know what to do with. I probably got around 40 bibs. I didn't use them until we started bottle feeding around 4 months and even then I would forget to grab one if we were going out. I always had burp cloths but I couldn't ever remember a bib.

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• Two crib sheets was plenty for us. One in the wash or folded and waiting, one in the crib. I did have two for warm weather [plain cotton] and two for winter [fuzzy chamois], though.

Definitely extra changing pad covers. Two was not enough for my very heavy pooper; she could easily poop on two a day. It sounds like it wouldn't be hard to prevent, but believe me, those early, runny breastmilk poops are like nothing you'd ever expect in their frequency and volume when you have a good eater and heavy pooper, lol.

Also, a ton of burp cloths; two dozen or so. Again, our need for SO many of these was probably due to the fact that DD overate every time she ate and thus spit up constantly. And a bunch of pacifiers, but don't buy these upfront. You won't know what your baby likes until he/she latches onto a certain brand. Once you know the brand, have about six available, because they get dropped all.the.time. and need to be sanitized/boiled often.

Also, I have to disagree about the NB clothes and recommend that you don't get too much of that size; or that you at least save receipts and leave a lot of it unwashed. DD was 8lbs 13oz and 21.5" long at birth and never fit in newborn anything. Thankfully, I kind of assumed she would be on the big side and didnt wash too much stuff, but I had a few sleepers that totally went to waste.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Definitely 3 or more crib sheets and matress pads. Tons of baby wash cloths and burp rags. I liked the gerber cloth diapers the best for burp rags. My son was 8 lbs and he never fit in newborn clothes. I hardly ever used receiving blankets unless somebody was holding him and then I had them out it over their shoulder as he had reflux and spit up a lot. I only had 1 hooded towel for him but I did use our towels more often.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had 3 crib sheets and 2 changing pad covers. 2 bath towels and about 4 wash cloths. I had 3 swaddlers, 2 my breast friend covers, and I rotated through about 3 receiving blankets.

With the crib sheets, they make these things called sheet savers and they are so much better than trying to change the whole sheet, especially if it's the middle of the night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just had duplicates of items with the exception of blankets and that was plenty.  I'm not one to let dirty sheets sit in he laundry for any amount of time though. 
  • Woah, this was sooo helpful! We're about to register, so this was perfect! Thanks gals:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageQueSyrah:
    I had 3 crib sheets and 2 changing pad covers. 2 bath towels and about 4 wash cloths. I had 3 swaddlers, 2 my breast friend covers, and I rotated through about 3 receiving blankets.With the crib sheets, they make these things called sheet savers and they are so much better than trying to change the whole sheet, especially if it's the middle of the night.

Ditto the sheet savers. We tied them in her crib and laid her on them. Before she rolled we would only have to change the sheet saver and not the whole sheet. Although she rarely leaked or spit up in her sleep. We used a similar thing on top of the changing pad cover. That saved us a lot of extra changing.

We rarely used recieving blankets, loved swaddlemes. We went through multiple bibs a day.
  • I think I've only used 2 crib sheets, ever. I have 2 mattress pads too.

We got way too many towels and wash clothes. Like, probably 20 wash clothes and a dozen towels. I would suggest maybe 4-5 towels and washcloths. Obviously you could get away with less, but I like to have a few extras. 

I got a bunch of those flannel/cotton receiving blankets because I thought I was going to use them as spit-up rags, but DD never spit up. So they are still sitting in a drawer. I didn't use them for anything else. 

I needed a couple of nice swaddle wraps. I started out with only one, but we swaddled every night and for naps, and they got dirty, so I bought 2 more.

I had a couple of pairs of shoes for newborn and 0-3 month sizes, but never used them.

I'd suggest at least 2 changing pad covers. We only had one, and DD kept pooping and peeing on them while we were changing her diaper, so we went out and got 2 more. 

I have a bag full of pacifiers that never got used. DD didn't like pacifiers at all. I'd suggest having a few on hand (different brands) but don't buy too many because you don't know what they'll like. 

As far as newborn clothes, I think we had a few sleepers, but I didn't buy much because I didn't know how big the baby would be. She was 7lb 13oz at birth, so when we got home I sent my mom out to buy a few NB outfits for her. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • We had 4 crib sheets and it was 2 too many. Crib pads on the other hand - my son had reflux so he spit up on them alllll the time, we had 4 and often that wasn't enough. Just crib pads though, not the full size mattress pads.

2 towels was plenty for us.

We had a TON of burp rags, like 2 dozen, because he spit up so much.

We had 2 changing pad covers, probably could have used more. 

For newborn clothes, I am with the posters who said they got way more use out of them than expected. But you really just can't plan ahead much for those - you don't know how big baby is going to be til they get here. For summer babies you won't need much more than onesies anyway though, so you might as well just grab a bunch and maybe just not wash them just in case you have a bigger baby and need to return them. My son was 7lb 5oz and gained fast, but still wore newborn for about 5 weeks. We went through a ton of onesies (thanks again to the reflux).

• I'd say definitely 23 crib sheets. There have been a number of times when out LOs peed through or vomited in the crib in the middle of the night. You definitely want some extras.

I think 2 changing pad covers are good. Forget the swaddling blankets and go right for the Miracle Blanket to swaddle. Those are fantastic. Finally, I think 12 hooded towels are enough. They tend to be a little thinner than our thick, fluffy towels so I only used them for the first few months and then just used a regular towel.
  • It really depends on your kid. Honestly. I know that doesn't really help, but I found we needed a lot!!! more burp rags because of the amount of spit up dd had. Not normal for most people. Also, I would have loved to have swaddled my child, but she hated it! So, those were a waste for us. We got a ton of blankets, but I can only think of two that were/are used. We had one diaper pad cover, but because of spit up, pee, and explosions bought a second and wish we'd gotten a third. We mange with just two crib sheets, but she slept with us until she was almost a year old (Not in the plan!). I guess what I'm saying is get less and buy more later. Or register for a bunch of stuff, but don't open it and then exchange it for what you really need when you figure out what that is.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"