May 2013 Moms

Keeping cats off baby things

I have 2 very curious cats!! They love to lay on anything new that comes in the house. I plan on bringing the playpen in the living room soon, just for them to get used to it. Any tips on how to keep them out of it?

Re: Keeping cats off baby things

• My plan was to let mine lay and climb all over the baby stuff and then just clean it all before the baby arrives. The more you try to keep them off the more they will want to go on!
  • Wow, I would have never thought of foil,I tried the citrus sent and it did nothing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLexiLupin:

Cats are supposed to hate foil. Mine don't, much to my sadness, but you could try laying some in the playpen. Citrus smells (again, supposedly, have never noticed my cats being fazed either way), you could try orange peels or just spraying lemon pledge to deter them from the area (though I guess that idea would be kind of dependent on whether you have removable/washable fabrics on the playpen). 

Someone on another thread also suggested putting balloons in the crib/etc to deter cats. *shrug*

Ha! Our kitten actually LOVES to play with foil! He does hate anything citrus-related, though. If I'm eating an orange or a tangerine, I'll bring my fingers up to his nose and he runs away like there's a giant dog chasing him. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My cat hates Scotch tape. I put it on my counters when we first got her (sticky side up) and she never gets up on them now. I tried aluminum foil first, but it didn't work for us.
    BabyFruit Ticker>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLexiLupin:

imagetrlricha:
    My cat hates Scotch tape. I put it on my counters when we first got her (sticky side up) and she never gets up on them now. I tried aluminum foil first, but it didn't work for us.

Oh, I forgot about this one! You can actually buy rolls of double-sided tape at some pet stores, we had some luck with that and getting them to stop gnawing on corners of furniture (yes, my cats are weird).

I never thought of double sided tape! Probably would have saved me a lot of regular tape and would have been easier!! Ha. Oh well 

BabyFruit Ticker>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I have heard about the foil before and will be trying that first!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"