May 2013 Moms

Breastfeeding classes

Hi, I'm a FTM. I was signing up for birthing classes today and saw that the hospital also does breastfeeding classes. I have heard some girls say that the class was worth it and others say it was a waste of time and money. I will be buying a BP for when I have to work, and I have been reading a lot but I guess I'm still feeling a little bit unprepared. And opinions or experiences on the classes or what info you found most helpful? Thank you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding classes

• I would recommend going.  Even if it doesn't seem that helpful, some info might stick with you and if it's at the hospital they will at least give you a list of numbers of LCs, etc.  I went to one with each of my boys.  I dragged MH to the first one with me, and it was really long and involved and he complained about it but I'm glad that when DS1 got here MH had some idea of what I was going through and it made him more supportive.  I went to one when I was pregnant with DS2 and it really wasn't that great, but then again I pretty much knew the info by then.  
  • I actually attended a BF class today, through WIC so I didn't have to pay for it. I am a FTM and I found it very informative. And they gave out quite a few pamphlets, so if I forget anything I can look back through them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it matters on your situation.  If you can afford the class, you might as well take it since it seems you are dedicated to BF and will also be pumping when you go back to work.

You'll be surprised how little time you have with anyone in the hospital to help you, since you're discharged pretty quickly after a regular birth.  To me, the most helpful thing was to talk to friends/relatives who had also BF to get support.  I pumped for 6 months after returning to work, and really loved BF!  Good luck! 

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Thanks for the advice! I had never even thought of bringing DH but It sounds like that would be a good idea. Thanks again, this really helped! 

• I'm a FTM so I'm taking all of the classes I can get to/afford.  My hospital system offers them for $15-$20 per class, so I think I'm signed up for 5 or 6.  I've heard many new mothers say that BFing was the hardest part about having a baby so I'm bringing DH so he can help me remember technique, etc.  I'm sure in the early days I'll want to throw in the towel out of frustration.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I've signed up to take one on March 5.  They didn't say anything about price; it's through the hospital system where I'm delivering my son.  I wasn't going to take DH, but now I think I might, just so he can be on the same page as me, and help me through it if I get frustrated!
    Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

TTA until 2014

• I would definitely take it if you can! And take it as close to your due date as you can. With my first, I took the class 2 weeks before my son was born ( scheduling conflict!) and it was really helpful because everything was fresh in my mind! 

Also I made my DH pay very close attention to the latch so he could help me make sure I was doing it correctly! It was very helpful! 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I knew most of what we learned but our class was supremely helpful with getting DH's support. Also helped me understand the holds better.
  • I signed us up for one in early march, it is one three hour class and cost $60

my SIL strongly suggested we do the breast feeding class along with the newborn care class, she said she got a lot out of both when she was a FTM 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemommy0411:
    I would definitely take it if you can! And take it as close to your due date as you can. With my first, I took the class 2 weeks before my son was born scheduling conflict! and it was really helpful because everything was fresh in my mind!nbsp;Also I made my DH pay very close attention to the latch so he could help me make sure I was doing it correctly! It was very helpful!nbsp;

Yes, definitely take a class close to your due date. It's completely different when you hold the baby and have to feed it. I thought the class was very helpful in showing proper latch and practicing the different positions.
    And as PP mentioned, I also brought my husband and that really helped because the information can be overwhelming and it's nice to have someone else help you remember.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I signed up for a breastfeeding class because I have no idea what I'm doing and the pumps are so confusing to me.  They encouraged me to bring my husband (no extra charge for partners to come).  I'm taking all my classes in April so I will hopefully remember what I learned :-)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Absolutely! My DH and I are taking all classes offered at the birth center. I have also hired a doula who will come over as often as I need post partum to help ensure a good latch etc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"