February 2013 Moms

Your doctor does what again?

I just wanted to say that upon my appointment this afternoon and talking with my midwife, I have realized that these boards are quite unhelpful.

How one persons runs their practice is entirely different and is not the same with each ob/doctor/midwife. The information they give you is entirely different from the information I am given. From the next person to the next person.

Now, my midwives work under a very well known hospital in the big city I live in and how they practice in their office that they share with OBs, doesn't differ. I am one who firmly believes in evidence based medicine and so do my midwives && hospital.

It kinda worries me AND her when I told her and my other midwives how some OBs are taking care of some of you ladies. 

A lot of OBs go by what's been called "routine" for years. Whereas the midwives && hospital OBs strive to do continuous research for things that work best for pregnant women and for the health of their unborn children.

Before even taking my midwives advice, I did in fact do some research when it comes to Dilation/Effacing, Cervical Checking, Protein Checks, Growth Ultrasounds, Holistic Inductions, and Full Term.

I found that my midwives && hospital that I plan to birth at, are in fact right with the information they have given me, as I said; they do continuous studies.

I have seen many posts of those fivethings and wanted to let other woman know there is another opinion:

*Dilation/Effacing- Dilation and effacing is NOT an imminent sign of labor coming. Especially BEFORE blood, water breaking, contractions appear. Dropping/head engagement are a sign labor is near.

*Cervical checking- On a regular basis that the cervix is checked actually does MORE harm than good. Not only does it introduce bacteria (even with with gloves on) it can trigger labor, which is not good if you're being checked at 36 weeks. Not only that, Obs that use a speculum; do the most damage to the cervix and can result in hemorraging. Checking one's cervix unless they are contracting/water breaks/bleeding is absolutely unnecessary.

*Protein checks- If you pee in a cup each time you visit your physician, then know that those strips aren't 100% accurate as blood tests. They stopped doing those back in the 80s, when they realized checking urine like that; didn't work.

*Growth ultrasounds- Very few ultrasound techs are skilled in the area of "growth". Of course, there are the regular techs that do just hand out photos. Growth ultrasounds are in fact accurate, only IF they are done by a person skilled in that area. Not ALL are. Just because they run the machine, doesn't mean they are highly skilled. So yes, growth ultrasounds can be accurate and not accurate.(BTW- just because one's baby is measuring larger, doesn't mean you still can't have a natural birth. Unless there is a specific problem with your pelvis. I know plenty of women that have given birth to 10 lbs babies and were tiny without having any problems.) I would ask for a second opinion if you are on the fence about this or are being given an induction for a "large baby."

*Holistic Inductions- A natural form of inducing labor. Many women have asked if using red raspberry leaf tea, castrol oil and taking primerose oil is safe. It's not 100% safe and I would be leery to use something that hasn't had much research conducted on it. The only safe thing that has been studied is sex, unless your water has broke.

*Full Term- 37 weeks is not technically "full term". It's called "term". Very few percentage of babies actually are considered "full term" by then. Many babies born before 39 weeks have breathing/sucking/immune problems. Now, this isn't the case with all babies. So, it worries me when OBs are so quick to plan an induction date on a healthy baby and mother BEFORE 39 weeks. Of course, I do find many women on her scheduling C-sections for unnecessary reasons. Remember, the longer he/she stays in there; the better chance they have.(pre-e, pp, col, and other dangerous conditions are considered necessary)

I guess it's just hard to get/give advice when we all have conflicting views and are getting so much different information, I am just unsure of how it helps?

Just putting it out there.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Your doctor does what again?

• Umm, ok. Not sure what responses you were wanting out of your post. My doctor- the one who went to medical school to learn her trade- does many of those things. I trust her. I assume most people trust their medical professional, as well. Good for you for being with someone you trust, but please don't judge what others are doing.
  • I appreciate your opinion and insight. My doc follows along the lines of what you mentioned. 

Everyone has a different experience... But I appreciate any post that poses alternate ways of thinking that challenge me! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for informing us on what most of us already know. If this board is so unhelpful stay off of it :-) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageckalm5:
    Thanks for informing us on what most of us already know. If this board is so unhelpful stay off of it :-) 

Agreed :) P.s. with my first I went into labour naturally although he hadn't dropped at all yet, my second dropped and was engaged at 34 weeks, I was induced naturally at 41w 5d. It has nothing to do with research it has to do with each persons body and baby being different. Thus the reason the "norm" is constantly changing.

BabyFruit Ticker
    photo D0EE104210C440E48E28B53BA940865Bashx_zpsff62f0b1.gif photo A24F501B345347968B2BC922AD7C0613ashx_zpsf08f7401.gif
  • I think your heart was in the right place and appreciate that, but I believe that many of us on this board already know all of this and these answers are often posted when anyone has a question about any of these issues.  It's because of this board that I did my research on cervical checks and will deny them if they are offered.

• The above information goes along with everything my OB and his assistant have told me and practice in their office. As annoying as peeing in a cup every week is one I prefer it over being stuck with a needle every appt. and two they check more than protein and had they not done a urine test last appointment I would not have known I was dehydrated. It seems to me your implying that you feel your midwives and hospitals are the only "right" ones? Which is wrong. To say that these boards are unhelpful because everyone has "conflicting" information is wrong. Ever heard "In the multitude of counsel there is safety"? (It's a scripture) But not any ONE person knows everything and these boards are very helpful in sharing and exchanging information we keep each other informed and assured of various options and procedures available during pregnancy. And considering we've all made it this far in our pregnancy relatively healthy and informed I'd say were doing all right.  Just saying if our OB's were so wrong I don't think we would all still be here.
  • imageadamsabigail14:
    The above information goes along with everything my OB and his assistant have told me and practice in their office. As annoying as peeing in a cup every week is one I prefer it over being stuck with a needle every appt. and two they check more than protein and had they not done a urine test last appointment I would not have known I was dehydrated. It seems to me your implying that you feel your midwives and hospitals are the only "right" ones? Which is wrong. To say that these boards are unhelpful because everyone has "conflicting" information is wrong. Ever heard "In the multitude of counsel there is safety"? (It's a scripture) But not any ONE person knows everything and these boards are very helpful in sharing and exchanging information we keep each other informed and assured of various options and procedures available during pregnancy. And considering we've all made it this far in our pregnancy relatively healthy and informed I'd say were doing all right.  Just saying if our OB's were so wrong I don't think we would all still be here.

Well worded! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • This is seriously the nicest board on the bump and this still had no chance of going over well....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagemrsdugger:

This is seriously the nicest board on the bump and this still had no chance of going over well....

Yes

• "This is seriously the nicest board on the bump and this still had no chance of going over well...."

100 percent

• I feel like you need to reassess priorities if you are coming on here for your medical advice, but with that said.....not really sure what your purpose is to your post, besides to scare pregnant women into thinking they are getting mediocre care from their OBs, which I'm sure they are not. I hate when people use the Internet to get on their high horse to make others feel beneath them and make judgements. Good luck with your pregnancy....personally I'm a scientist and just to let you know researchers/scientists make incorrect conclusions alllllll the time : I have looked at my dr.s personal record and bedside manner to determine if I am happy! : hope all do the same.....
  • imagemrsdugger:
    This is seriously the nicest board on the bump and this still had no chance of going over well....
    nbsp;

Ummmm, Yupp!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageHeartstrings13:
    I think your heart was in the right place and appreciate that, but I believe that many of us on this board already know all of this and these answers are often posted when anyone has a question about any of these issues."..." 

Yes to all this

• Well gee, thanks for posting this info that none of us or our doctors knew. [eyeroll]
    By the way, my baby's head is very low and I've been carrying low this whole pregnancy, yet I obviously am not in labor. So that doesn't necessarily mean anything either, just like dilation and effacement.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Interesting...so where did you and your midwife go for you MDs?
  • Interesting...so where did you and your midwife go for your MDs?
  • Well GGGOOOLLLLYYY thanks for educating all of us that don't live in the 'big city' and apparently have idiots for doctors/midwives. Good Lord.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • imageByeByeBooze:
    Thanks for preaching to us. It's nice to know that someone with 26 posts has a good grasp on what this community thinks and how we approach our pregnancies and treatments. We are so, so lucky to have you inform us of all the things we already know.

ALLLLL of this!

• This has got to be MUD. I'm wondering how insightful her other 26 posts are.

• When you told your providers how we are being cared for by our doctors, what exactly did you say?  We're all having unnecessary c-sections or inductions before 39 weeks based solely on convenience?  I haven't seen one post that made me question anyone's healthcare decisions.  Maybe I missed something?
  • Just for the record, ladies, I think you are all extremely helpful and knowledgeable about your pregnancies and experiences.  Seriously, I would be lost without you and without this board!! 
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• imageEventmerlin:
    I feel like you need to reassess priorities if you are coming on here for your medical advice, but with that said.....not really sure what your purpose is to your post, besides to scare pregnant women into thinking they are getting mediocre care from their OBs, which I'm sure they are not. I hate when people use the Internet to get on their high horse to make others feel beneath them and make judgements. Good luck with your pregnancy....personally I'm a scientist and just to let you know researchers/scientists make incorrect conclusions alllllll the time : I have looked at my dr.s personal record and bedside manner to determine if I am happy! : hope all do the same.....

Yes

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• imageByeByeBooze:
    Thanks for preaching to us. It's nice to know that someone with 26 posts has a good grasp on what this community thinks and how we approach our pregnancies and treatments. We are so, so lucky to have you inform us of all the things we already know.

Seriously.
    If this community is so uneducated then don't come to it. We seek the counsel of other women and other opinions for our own knowledge and well being. No one source of anything is fool proof, not even yours.  

• I agree with what everyone has said. Additionally, I think most of what OP said we all already know. Glad OP trusts her midwife. Also glad I trust my OB. I don't think anyone here claimed too be medical experts, we just offer support and advice based on experience. I have really enjoyed this board!
    imageimageimage
  • My only response is that all of us have chosen the doctors/midwives whatever we have chose for our own reasons. There is no need to sit here and say that one doctors practice is wrong vs. another.  Go with your gut and what you believe and don't worry about anyone other than yourself!

That being said...Good luck to everyone and their impending deliveries...I know Im ready and this little girl can't come soon enough!

Happy Weekend Everyone!

• Um, I'm having a homebirth and my MWs are very different than most OBs and MWs on these boards.  I'm also having my fourth baby.  I still think these boards are helpful.  We're here for support, not to override our care providers' advice with what other people's care providers are doing.

• imageAmandastrea:
    Interesting...so where did you and your midwife go for you MDs?

OK, so this statement bothers me almost as much as the OP.  A midwife isn't a doctor, but is just as knowledgeable as an OB in vaginal birth.  I'm not sure if you're trying to say that midwives aren't as qualified as OBs to give medical advice about pregnancy, but if that's the case, I'm side eyeing you too...

• image+adamwife+:
    Um, I'm having a homebirth and my MWs are very different than most OBs and MWs on these boards.  I'm also having my fourth baby.  I still think these boards are helpful.  We're here for support, not to override our care providers advice with what other people's care providers are doing.

I was waiting for your two cents on this one- I'm glad these boards have lead us to mom's like you! 

• raises hand this question is for all

i understand cervical exams are bad but isn't it the same risks as sex?
  • imageCrystalMcG720:
    raises hand this question is for all i understand cervical exams are bad but isn't it the same risks as sex?

Cervical exams increase your risk of infection once your water has broken.  During labor it's best to limit them because they can introduce bacteria into the vagina.  

I don't think many of us here are going to have sex once our water has broken ;)

• imagefroggystomper:

image+adamwife+:
    Um, I'm having a homebirth and my MWs are very different than most OBs and MWs on these boards.  I'm also having my fourth baby.  I still think these boards are helpful.  We're here for support, not to override our care providers advice with what other people's care providers are doing.

I was waiting for your two cents on this one- I'm glad these boards have lead us to mom's like you! 

Thank you so much :)

I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just opinionated. ;)  I learn just as much from the rest of you, which is why I enjoy coming here for the support.  Every pregnancy, delivery and baby is so different.  We all have so much we can learn from each other.

• to put it simply:
    1) I trust my OB
    2) I have no idea what symptoms of labor I will feel, or in what order
    3) I have no idea when I will go into labor
    4) I have no idea when my LO will actually get hear
    and guess what, NOBODY knows 2-4... and I actually find that awesome. There are few mysteries left in the world, and I think it makes childbirth that much more amazing. I don't think anybody's mind got changed after reading that post... just sayin'

• imagesecondaryPULSE:

Yeah, how does your midwife deal with GBS? Somehow I doubt she/he is following best practice there. Most don't. While I wish other providers would follow the evidence on this one, they don't. I don't go writing posts about how other care providers are inept or anything....*eyeroll*

::nodding furiously::

• Oh, FFS.  So, basically, our MWs or OBs are not nearly as educated as yours so you are bothered that we are all spreading "misinformation" out there.  How is your post more helpful than what anyone else has had to say?  Because *your* MW told you so?  If someone chooses to come on a public forum and ask for advice, they should understand the responses are not limited to medical professionals only.

The Bump doesn't hand out MDs to BTDT moms, but the benefit of this board is to use it as a resource to gain insight on what others may be experiencing, to commiserate, and to go through similar stages of pregnancy with other people.  

Your post really annoys me because you claim that these boards are so unhelpful, and then you go on and say how every practice is different.  Maybe I'm alone here, but I consider that extremely helpful.  I would hate to be ignorant to one-sided practices, and I welcome different experiences and standards that others have experienced so that I know I have other options.  It's very easy to be "bullied" by a provider and made to think that their way is the only way.  I feel it's very important to stand firm in what you believe after you have done research and educated yourself.  That entails reading some evidence-based research (not Wiki) and gathering information about experiences that other women have gone through.

Thanks for the help, though.  I love these boards. 

DD: 6/30/09. Mild pre-e DS: 9/5/10. Normal pregnancy Diagnosed 6/4/12 with dermatomyositis. Currently on Prednisone and IVIG therapy. 9/11/12: Normal a/s for DS2. No side effects from my medication, yay! DS2: 1/28/13. Thankful for healthy children! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Normally, I like to defend those who just want help or have some interesting piece of information.  This time....I...just...can't. Yes, every pregnancy is different and is probably determined more by the body, heck, even every pregnancy a single woman has is different.  That said, cervical checks, not completely necessary but I am pretty sure most if not all OB's do not need a speculum for that.  If a doc can't figure out your dilation or effacement by touch alone, ugh.  The only real sign of labor is, wellllll, labor.  Regardless of how we figure it out, everything in the OP post I pretty much have only seen debated in the opposite.  Most women here are against elective CS's unless RCS.  Most also feel that baby large, the vagina is still in charge.  There are more reasons than a narrow pelvis to have a CS.  You can have nice looking hips and still be too narrow, so tiny or big, its bone structure.  I do not feel OP is very informed on the protein check.  You know what, I just can't keep going on with the all sorts of wrong.  All, OB's, MW's, Doctor, nurses, and anyone practicing medicine have to keep up with evidence based practices.  Being in the medical field, you have to, there is no choice because you are beholden to higher powers.  This forum has been wonderful and whether I have agreed to stuff or not, it has been a place where I am made to think and sometimes my opinion has been changed for the better or it led me on the path for further knowledge.  I trust my OB who delivered my baby ten years ago.  He was younger and newer to the field back then and now is more informed and he has my confidence.  I have a feeling that OP may have lumped the February Moms board with some of the rest of the boards because when I think about it, we all have already discussed all of these and come to our very own intelligent conclusions and I don't recall a mom on this board here saying they want a CS just because.  I like this board because of the experiences and the road we take, bumpy or smooth. Ugh, I think OP needs a medical book and not google foo. *facepalm*
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Confused I fail to see a point to this post.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Why does all the excitement happen when I am away??? But seriously, on the off chance the OP is not a bored first-tri-er mudding it up, I am not sure what the she has been reading here. Most of us agree that a low-intervention, less medical-ized birth is a positive thing, especially when there are no contraindications or complications.

On an unrelated note, I also really look forward to adamwife's responses. :) She did not disappoint here. (But, adamwife, I wouldn't read too much into the midwife comment that one girl made - maybe her biases were showing, but maybe she just meant it's silly and counterproductive to compare midwives to doctors when their training is so different. It would have been more PC to ask what midwifery training her doctor has, but eh, six of one... My first reaction was just that she meant to compare the two, not that she meant one was better than the other. I might be rose-colored-glassing it though.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSugarPlumpFairy13:
     Of course, I do find many women on her scheduling C-sections for unnecessary reasons.

And, SugarPlumpFairy13, can you post a link to your study / research? I am fascinated that you have managed to detect an "unnecessary" c-section problem that has alluded all of us as well as the medical community at large. I recommend you publish in JAMA as soon as possible.

(Yes, my hormones are showing. I will regret being so b*tchy later, but at this moment, I don't much care.) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have found the bump boards very helpful actually, from the infertility board to the birth month, the high risk one too!

I have learned so much from the infertility board even though every specialist might do things differently, prescribe different meds, but the ladies on there are great, even on the birth month the ladies are great too, lots of great information is given out!

My ob doesn't have the midwife model and that is not what I want either, different strokes for different folks I guess...thats the other thing I am not the same as you and my dr right now since I have gestational diabetes makes me go there every week but you prob dont have to do that bec you prob don't have gest diabetes, each dr has to look at their patient and their needs so mabye I do need an internal exam everytime I go now at 35 weeks bec they need to be more careful with me since I am over 35 and have gest diabetes...and I had really bad morning sickness and I also had to keep going to the dr every 2 weeks instead of every month because of it,so the dr thought it was my need to come every 2 weeks since I was not gaining weight but not everyone has bad morning sickness and they can go every month...depends on the patient and situation...your generalizing that everyone has the same pregnancy and wants a midwife...

• image+adamwife+:

imageAmandastrea:
    Interesting...so where did you and your midwife go for you MDs?

OK, so this statement bothers me almost as much as the OP.  A midwife isn't a doctor, but is just as knowledgeable as an OB in vaginal birth.  I'm not sure if you're trying to say that midwives aren't as qualified as OBs to give medical advice about pregnancy, but if that's the case, I'm side eyeing you too...

That comment really bothered me.  

Thank you for posting this!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"