C-sections

FTM wtih Scheduled C-Section...

Hi Everyone

Ever since I found out I have a marginal previa and transverse baby I've been lurking on this board .  I'm going to have an ultrasound tomorrow to find out for sure if a c-section will be required.  If that is the case, are there any questions I should be sure to ask my OB?  I'm not totally devestated if we have to have a section, but I do want to have as much of a "birth experience" as possible.  Also, I realize this is routine for her, but obviously not for me.  I want to make sure I understand the whole process and am as comfortable as possible.  Thanks for any tips you may have!

Re: FTM wtih Scheduled C-Section...

• i had a vaginal birth with my first and it was HORRIBLE!  It took me almost a year to recover with two different surgeries. I had 4th degree tears, and emotionally depressed for months afterwards because I was in pain.  Anyway, I opted for a c-section the second time around and it was wonderful.  I was scared to death about the c-section, but it turned out great.  I was able to watch it through a mirror they had above me, and afterwards in recovery it was so nice to have that one hour with just hubby, myself and baby.  Great bonding time without visitors.  

I asked my doctors for sutures instead of the standard staples.  I don't know if there is much of a difference, but I felt great going with the sutures,  I also asked my doctor if it would be possible to pull out the baby without the use of tools, and for him (if possible) to use his hands only.  I am scared of birth injuries happening with the use of tools.  I don't thing I had much else that I was specific about.  Good luck with whatever delivery method ends up being best for you. 

• Don't be afraid to ask your OB any questions at all - I can't think of anything specific I would ask, but I had an emergency c-section with my first, so there weren't time for questions.

The big thing is don't stress about it, if you have to have one! The surgery only lasts about 30 minutes from the time they make the first cut to the time they wheel you out of the OR. It really flies by.

And don't worry about the birth experience either - you are still giving birth, just not a vaginal birth. It does not make one bit of difference to your baby how he or she came out - the bond will still be there, just the same :)

ETA: I should also say to enjoy it! With a scheduled c-section, you haven't gone through the pain of labor and you're more aware of your surroundings, so take in everything from that first cry to the first glimpse of the baby. And my advice is to always get the first kisses, since you can't hold the baby right away :)

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • You may want to ask how long your hospitalization will be, and if you'll be on a specific diet following the procedure as well as how long it will be before you can get out of bed.

At the hospital I delivered, it was a clear liquid diet for 24 hours, I was hospitalized for 72 hours after the procedure, and I couldn't get out of bed until the next morning.  

My scheduled csections were awesome, and my recovery wasn't difficult at all.  

• Maybe ask to meet everyone who will be in the delivery room before you get there. I was surprised that my dr. used an assistant that I had never met in addition to a nurse and anesthesiologist.

Instead of staples or stitches, ask for Dermabond (glue). You won't really have to worry about wound care or going back to get anything removed.

=BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • Questions that come to my mind:

1) Stitches, staples, or the ''glue''? If poss opt for the glue, as it doesn't cause as many issues as stitches/staples.

2) May SO attend the CS? If so, will he be able to video-tape the birth? hold my hand? announce the sex? cut the cord? etc.

3) Will I be able to breastfeed and bond while in the recovery room? Or, will SO and LO be waiting in my room while I'm in the recovery room.

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • imageCourtimilk:

Questions that come to my mind:

1) Stitches, staples, or the ''glue''? If poss opt for the glue, as it doesn't cause as many issues as stitches/staples.

2) May SO attend the CS? If so, will he be able to video-tape the birth? hold my hand? announce the sex? cut the cord? etc.

3) Will I be able to breastfeed and bond while in the recovery room? Or, will SO and LO be waiting in my room while I'm in the recovery room.

These! I had stitches and seemed to have a much easier recovery than my friends with staples.  The only thing that bothered me was it felt like forever before they brought DS back to me...prob an hour to an hour and a half after he was delivered.  Just be very vocal about seeing LO right away and breast feeding if you're interested in that. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know its not an option everywhere, but I am a PP nurse at a hospital that has just started doing skin-to-skin in the OR after a c/s!! (after baby has been checked on of course) as a C/S mom myself I am ecstatic about this and can;t wait to deliver our next baby at my new hospital (DS was born in a different state and skin-to-skin was never an option)....so maybe ask what the hospital policy is on that?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Does your hospital offer a c/s prep class? DH and I took this last time and found it really helpful.  They went through everything, allowed for questions, and we took a tour at the end. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"