Breastfeeding

How fast can your newborn empty your breast?

I know I'm an over producer. I always had way more than enough milk with DS. My new LO doesn't feed very long, maybe 1215 minutes on one side every 3 hours and she's done. Doesn't matter what I do to try to wake her. If I get her on the other side, she just ends up spitting it up. She has plenty of dirty diapers, so I know she's getting stuff out.

Do you think it's possible she's able to eat this quickly at only 12 days old?

Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How fast can your newborn empty your breast?

• Is she gaining weight?  If she is gaining weight and has enough wet/dirty diapers, then she could be that efficient.
    Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's how DS was as a newborn too. As long as you're getting enough wet & dirty diapers, I wouldn't worry.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are an over producer its very likely she is just fine with her 12-15 mins. your let down phase happens faster and at that stage they only need about a strawberry size to be full. Good job mommy, I think you are doing just fine!
  • For sure. Amelie has been a 10-15 minute nurser from the beginning. She's always had enough wet/dirty diapers and has been gaining weight steadily since we left the hospital.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Once my LO got over the jaundice and started gaining weight (we had some weight issues at 2 weeks), she was able to finish eating in 15 mins or less.  It takes longer to get her burped and back to sleep lol.
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • My daughter nurses only for 10 minutes or so and only on one side. She's basically been that way since birth.
    "When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." Sir James Barrie in Peter Pan

DS: 11/1/2010    DD: 8/9/2012       #3: 4/2019
  • My 3 week old barely does 15 minutes total... and some sessions 10 minutes is hard to achieve..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • After day of life #2 DD has never nursed for longer than 10 minutes. If she does happen to go longer, it's just comfort sucking and she isn't swallowing or getting milk in her mouth.  I had a lactation consult at 5 days old she nursed for 6 minutes on one breast and took almost 2 ounces, and then again a week later and she took an ounce from each breast after only about 5 minutes a side. Even though she's quick, she is gaining weight and my breasts are softer after she's done, so I'm assuming she's getting enough.

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Both of my kids could finish a feeding in 10-15 minutes, even as newborns.  I had oversupply with #1 and an over-active letdown with both, so I think they were just able to compensate and learned to suck quickly!

Both we back to their birth weight at about a week old and were chunky infants, so I know they were getting enough.  It's possible.  : )

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"