Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Is Tamiflu being given to babies with flu??

Hi All!  Had a question for you.  My lo is 14 months, and his doctor mentioned a while back that if he should come down with the flu (influenza), he would not be given Tamiflu because he is otherwise healthy.  However, an article I read said kids under 2 years of age are at high risk for flu complications and thus should be treated with Tamiflu as soon as possible if they get influenza.  What are your doctors doing?  Are you getting Tamiflu if your baby has the flu?  Sidenote - my baby did receive a flu shot.

Re: Is Tamiflu being given to babies with flu??

• Options
    Well, if he got a flu shot then if he did get the flu his symptoms wouldn't be severe enough to warrant tamiflu.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    Well, if he got a flu shot then if he did get the flu his symptoms wouldn't be severe enough to warrant tamiflu.

This isn't true.  It depends on if they get the whole dosage of the flu shot as I believe that it is two different dosages for the younger ones.  ie: my 7 month old only got her first shot and then about 2 weeks later got sick and tested positive for Influenza.  She had it pretty bad, lots of breathing problems, etc.  I am 90% sure she received Tamiflu but that was almost 2 years ago.

It was a long road for our family...our 3 angels in heaven are always watching over us!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A few months ago DD was exposed to the Flu.  She had not received the flu shot.  The doctor prescribed Tamiflu.  The meds are very expensive.  After day 2 she absolutely REFUSED to take any more.  The third and fourth day we fought her so hard to take it, that she cried and coughed to the point that she threw it back up.  I gave up after that.  Come to find out the taste is beyond gross - which explained why she was so much against it.  The doctor didn't seem surprised at all and never said anything about her missing the other 6 doses.

It has take us almost a full month to get her to take any meds again.  She had RSV and an ear infection.  It took A LOT of convincing that the new meds were not the tamiflu

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"