April 2013 Moms

s/o gliders

How much is too much to spend on a chair for the nursery?

I love the idea of a super comfy la-z-boy in the nursery, especially since I will be going back to work, and DH will be a part-time SAHD.  A big comfy chair would fit in the room just fine, and we can afford it-- it is just money that we won't be using for savings or other household things.  I want to make sure the chair is comfy for both DH and I.

However, after taxes and delivery charges, we're looking at probably $900+.  This is our first kid and we hope to have 2 more, so we would use if for all three kids, assuming it holds up ok. 

Is this outrageous? 

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016

Re: s/o gliders

• Spent $70. Found one on a year-end clearance brand new for 50% off. If I wouldn't have found this deal we wouldn't have spent more than $200-$250.

I personally think $900 is completely outrageous. Even if you can afford it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Whoa. I mean, I wouldn't pay that.  Then again, I hunt bargains like a mofo, and I know there are gliders out there at the same quality/comfort level for less.

// I love you too. //

• Loading the player...
  • Obviously I think it depends on your budget and how much you guys are comfortable spending on it.  That said.  Our La-z-boy didn't cost anywhere near what yours did. We were looking at a $400-500 glider at Babies r Us and my IL's recommended looking around to see if that was really the best chair for us.  We have a La-z-boy store across the street from BRU, so we wandered over and took a look.  They have quite a few different styles of chairs in different price points.  I definitely recommend going in and telling them that you are looking for something to go in a nursery and see what your local store has to offer. 

They had slimmer versions incase space was a concern, but we went with a full size La-z-boy.  I'm 5'9" & DH is 6'2".  I wanted to make sure that we were both comfortable and wouldn't feel too squished once little one was here. And check out their sales section if you don't want to pay full price. Most of the furniture stores in my area have a sale/clearance section for models they are just trying to get rid of.  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • imageBink720:

I also just wanted to add that we got one with chocolate brown microfiber fabric (nursery is chocolate brown and lime green) and it cleans up really well. I've found messes I didn't realize Landon made a couple of days later and they still washed right off.  We are going to have no problem using this for #2 and then we are planning on using it in the Mancave for extra seating.

image image
  • Yea I saw one I loved at BBB but it was 699 and I just couldn't bring myself to pay that. I ended up finding one on clearance at Target for 84 bucks and couldn't pass it up. Its just fine and I have no regrets about not getting the pricey one.

• We got ours at Buy Buy Baby, custom upholstered, glides, reclines and sooooo comfy! We had a couple coupons, and it came down from like $600 to $240 when all was said and done. The brand is BEST CHAIR, and we LOVE it!

This isnt the upholstery we got, but you can see some of the diff models here: https://www.besthf.com/best/Furniture/Recliners/Medium/CatalogDetailFilterStyles

• This is all good feedback.  TBH, we've bought very little "real" furniture for our house - almost everything is hand-me-downs/IKEA, so it is really hard for me to know what is a good deal.  DH is definitely gunning for a much lower price tag!

We went into our local la-z-boy store, and the chair we liked was $650 on sale (I think part of the reason the price is higher is that we are in Canada).  Of course, that doesn't include fabric protection or delivery, and the fabric choices were a little limited, so we might have ended up paying for a fabric upgrade to something we like. 

We haven't made any decisions yet, because $900 is a ton of money to blow on a chair, and I think DH and I would both rather see the money go towards savings or other baby needs.

• imageFremdschamen:

This is all good feedback.  TBH, we've bought very little "real" furniture for our house - almost everything is hand-me-downs/IKEA, so it is really hard for me to know what is a good deal.  DH is definitely gunning for a much lower price tag!

We went into our local la-z-boy store, and the chair we liked was $650 on sale (I think part of the reason the price is higher is that we are in Canada).  Of course, that doesn't include fabric protection or delivery, and the fabric choices were a little limited, so we might have ended up paying for a fabric upgrade to something we like. 

We haven't made any decisions yet, because $900 is a ton of money to blow on a chair, and I think DH and I would both rather see the money go towards savings or other baby needs.

So I know this isn't the world's cutest chair, but when it comes to something I'll be spending a lot of time in, I go for comfort over cute.

https://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/6485-8123/Vail-Recliner/

And you can get it for as low as $299 new.  Which is the same price as most decent gliders go for new.  As for delivery charges, I don't know what kind of car you drive, but DH brought our chair home in the back of his Mazda 3 hatchback.  They make La-z-boys (at least our model), so that the backs come off for easier shipping or moving around the house.  DH easily carried it up from his car to our 3rd story nursery (we're in a townhouse).  So if you have a car that's a hatchback, suv, or truck (something with cargo space) you may not need to pay for delivery.  DH just drove to our local warehouse when it came in and brought it home.

Sorry if I seem like I'm pushing the la-z-boy.  I just wanted to point out that it doesn't have to be that expensive.  You just have to prioritize what is the most important to you.  For me comfort, durability, washability, size and price were all important factors.   So we picked the chair that fit into all of our categories the best.  We could have gotten something much cuter, but I just wasn't willing to pay that much more for a piece of furniture that nobody would be seeing.  GL!

image image
  • We bought our glider chair at BRU. It was orignially $500 but we had our registry completion coupon and combined it with another one ( I think one that they mail) and then we bought a floor model so I think it came out to about $200 altogether. It's sage so it will work with DD's room and DS's room.

However, since it is in the nursery and we spent a lot of time in other rooms I really didn't use it much.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We got a glider/rocker for 198 from Sam's Club. We had a hard time finding one that matched our dark furniture in the nursery [it's between an espresso and cherry color] and the one at Sam's was pretty close!
    CafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What's expensive for you may not be for another, so hard to really say.

My outlook on all things baby is to spend the money on the things that will have a long life.  I bought a nice Coach diaper bag, that will be my work bag once the baby years are over.  We bought a nice Best rocking club chair & ottoman (probably also in the $700 range for both) that will move into our living room when LO outgrows the "read me a story before bed' age. It may have to be reupholstered at that point, but that's ok.

However, the crib I bought from Walmart (a Graco Lauren one which is great quality by the way).  We use plain white crib sheets from Target (to replace for $7 when I can no longer bleach out the puke/poop stains, instead of some expensive Pottery Barn kids set).   I only shop for DD's clothes which last no more than 3 months before she outgrows them from the clearance racks at Old Navy, Target or Carters.  Everyone has their own value for purchases, you only need to weigh that for yourself.

• I got a rocking/reclining love seat from LaZ Boy so I'd have enough room to hold both babies. Also, gliders give me motion sickness weird, I know. DH looooves it and wants it to live in the living room when we no longer need it in the nursery. It was 1700 after stain protectant and delivery. I have no problem dropping that much on a piece of furniture that will last and last.

imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagevinceandang:
    We bought a glider from Pottery Barn Kids. It was around 1,000. We did look elsewhere, but I love the fact that it's slip covered and will either go in another nursery or room. Plus, I know it will last a long time. It all depends on your budget and how comfortable you are spending the money on it.

We did something similar. I'm not going to disclose the cost, but to us it was worth it. I honestly think the question in the OP is not something you should ask a bunch of strangers. Money is a personal issue, so obviously people's responses are going to vary a LOT. Buy what you love and can afford. Period. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • With a Lazy Boy, it sounds lik something you could repurpose to another room in your house after you are done with the baby years.  I think quality furniture is worth its weight in gold, because it LASTS.  That said -- there are usually furniture sales all the time, so if you can wait through presidents day (that is in Feb, right?) you might be able to get a bit of discount.

If you can afford it (cash not credit), and you will enjoy it, it is never a waste of money . If you can't afford it, or you'll never use it, THEN it is a waste of money.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageblueandgray:
    What's expensive for you may not be for another, so hard to really say.My outlook on all things baby is to spend the money on the things that will have a long life.nbsp; I bought a nice Coach diaper bag, that will be my work bag once the baby years are over.nbsp; We bought a nice Best rocking club chair amp; ottoman probably also in the 700 range for both that will move into our living room when LO outgrows the "read me a story before bed' age. It may have to be reupholstered at that point, but that's ok.However, the crib I bought from Walmart a Graco Lauren one which is great quality by the way.nbsp; We use plain white crib sheets from Target to replace for 7 when I can no longer bleach out the puke/poop stains, instead of some expensive Pottery Barn kids set. nbsp; I only shop for DD's clothes which last no more than 3 months before she outgrows them from the clearance racks at Old Navy, Target or Carters.nbsp; Everyone has their own value for purchases, you only need to weigh that for yourself.

Totally agree and did almost exactly the same thing.
  • We ordered ours special order from BBB and I cannot wait to finally have it come in.  Since we ordered the fabric custom, it takes a bit longer.  We went with a swivel glider and ottoman.  I used 20% off coupons on each piece and ended up saving close to 200.  Plus shopping in NH means no tax and DH having a pick up truck means no delivery charge!  I think we ended up spending quite a bit on the whole set and for us it was worth it, we didn't pick a nursery fabric, its very neutral and will go great in a living room after we have children, the chair is extrememly supportive for my 6'2" husband and so comfortable!  If you are curious about other brands I would say check out Little Castle.  The chairs are all comfy, I think we went with the cottage chair.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's such a personally decision.  Really just depends on what you are comfortable with.

H and I went with a rocker/recliner that someone else might put in their living room.  It may eventually end up in our living room.  Our thought was that likely, whoever is getting up with the baby will end up just sleeping in the room.  So we wanted something comfortable enough for that.  A normal glider would not cut it.  After a protection plan & delivery I think we spent $900-1000.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJSS1002:

With a Lazy Boy, it sounds lik something you could repurpose to another room in your house after you are done with the baby years.  I think quality furniture is worth its weight in gold, because it LASTS.  That said -- there are usually furniture sales all the time, so if you can wait through presidents day (that is in Feb, right?) you might be able to get a bit of discount.

If you can afford it (cash not credit), and you will enjoy it, it is never a waste of money . If you can't afford it, or you'll never use it, THEN it is a waste of money.

Yes, we'd definitely be using cash, I am really adamant that we don't buy new furniture on credit.  No President's Day sale though, since we're in Canada. Sad

Thanks for your input, everyone.  I know that it is of course a personal decision, but hearing what other people have done really helps me to put it in perspective.

Also, to the PP who said that I am asking a bunch of strangers.. I honestly don't feel that way about the April board moms at this point.  I've been chatting with many of you daily for 6+ months now, so I don't view you ladies as strangers!

• We custom ordered a dutuilier from BBB so it would match the nursery.  The glider + ottomon was nearly $1000.  Outrageous, but everyone I know in real life said it was the thing to splurge on since you will use it so much.  I looked at a lot of the inexpensive versions, but it seemed hit or miss as to whether they'd last.  I don't mind paying less for less quality, but I didn't want to a medium amount for something that would only last a year or two.  That was my philosophy for all our big items for this baby.  

That being said, I did stalk craigslist to see if a glider that matched what I wanted would pop up, but apparently white wooden gliders are harder to come by than darker wood ones :(

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"