December 2012 Moms
Options

XP from 0-3 Months Board - Advice for getting DS to use bottle

Hello.  If anyone can offer some tips or advice, I would appreciate it.  DD is a champion at nursing, but not so much with a bottle.DS had no issues with switching from bottle to nipple from 2 weeks old, so I'm at a loss with DD.  She is 3 weeks old.  I've tried the Medela bottles and the nipple that came with them, but I'm going to go get the newborn nipple for the bottles tonight.  Besides changing the flow on the nipple from the bottle and knowing she might be needing another week or so to understand going from bottle to breast, do you have any other suggestions? I love nursing, but our family business requires me to be away from the home quite a bit, so I want to get her ready for when she goes to childcare.  That and the fact that her latch and suck is super strong, my boobs just need a break once or twice a day!TIA!! 

Re: XP from 0-3 Months Board - Advice for getting DS to use bottle

• Options

Who is giving your DD the bottle?

I'd make sure it's not you and that you aren't anywhere in the vicinity when they're trying to offer the bottle.

I've heard some people had success by not attempting to replicate the nursing situation- i.e. sit in a different seat, etc..

Good luck! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options
    imageNotwifezilla7:

Who is giving your DD the bottle?

I'd make sure it's not you and that you aren't anywhere in the vicinity when they're trying to offer the bottle.

I've heard some people had success by not attempting to replicate the nursing situation- i.e. sit in a different seat, etc..

Good luck! 

DH does it.  I know better than to try.  If I even walk in the room after I've been away from her for a few minutes, she can sense that I'm in the room and will start rooting around!!

Last night, I was in the bedroom, hiding under the covers...I'll ask DH to go to the living room tonight.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Besides other suggestions, I would make sure she's nice and warm/comfy.

My dd also had trouble when we 1st tried the bottle. So we decided to try it when she was just beginning to stir and was still happy. When we tried when she was upset she absolutely refused it. When she was calm she was less frustrated and got the hang of it easier.

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• Options
    My DD1 hated the bottle. We used the guidelines from kellymom.com for bottle feeding a breastfed baby. It involves sitting baby as upright as possible to feed, going slow, etc. I could not be anywhere near her when getting a bottle. We always used the slowest flow nipple and you may have to try a few different bottles. For us, Breastflow was all she would take. She still never loved the bottle but at least it got us to where she'd eat some while at DC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would also try to use a different bottle.  Try buying a few different ones (different brands and types) and see if she will take any of those.  A friend of mine bought whatever cheap one they had at the 99 cent store, and that was the only one her LO would take. Some babies just prefer different types of bottles
  • Options
    DH is giving one bottle of BM a day; we're using Tommee Tippee, which we chose due to supposed similarity to breast. They're quite a bit wider than the Medela bottles; maybe that would work better? He'll also take Breastflow, but the TTs are a little more user friendly for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"