Baby Names

Pronunciation of Honora...and WDYT of it?

I've seen this name more often lately. How is it traditionally pronounced? Honor-ah of oh-NORA? I live near a street called Honore (Honor-ee), so I always pronounce it Honor-ah.

Also, do you like it? I've been liking it a lot lately!

Anniversary
Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!

Re: Pronunciation of Honora...and WDYT of it?

• To me, it looks like on-ORAH.  It's NMS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would say Honor- ah

Very pretty name!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • I would say Honor-ah. I really like it and just Honor as well.

• It's unusual, but I like it. :)

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• I think traditionally it is NOT pronounced honor-ah, but a-NOR-ah or aw-NOR-a.

• I'd say ON-or-uh.  I don't really like it.  How about Helena (Helen-uh)?
  • image526SadieSadie:
    I'd say ONoruh.nbsp; I don't really like it.nbsp; How about Helena Helenuh?

My grandmother's best friend in school was Honora, said essentially this way. ONora.
  • imageFrecklesInside:
    I think traditionally it is NOT pronounced honorah, but aNORah or awNORa.nbsp;

This is correct. I wanted to use this name but my h thought she would always have people mispronouncing it. I agreed, and we just went with Nora.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My initial reaction was to say Honor-ah. It's okay IMO.  I actually like Honore (Honor-ee), the street name you mention, better!  :)

I have a "thing" about names that will get mispronounced a lot... my DD's name is one of them and I kind of wish I thought it about it more before choosing it (even though I think the proper way to say it is beautiful).  I think Honora would be one of those constantly being mispronounced names.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd say Honor-ah.

The second I saw it the movie Gladiator popped into my head. Not that someone is named that, but I instantly thought of it. 

Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • I thought this name was weird when I first heard of it, but after learning that it can be pronounced uh-NOR-uh, I kind of like it.
  • I am a teacher and I had a french student many years ago and this was her name. Its a very common french name and it's pronounced Honor-ray. I think its quite beautiful and was one of my choices until my husand nixed it. Good luck!
  • I like the name, and pronounce it hon-OR-ra. I've only ever heard it used on the show MASH, so that's where my mind goes.
  • imageiluvmytxrgr:
    To me, it looks like onORAH. nbsp;It's NMS.

This!
  • Dislike. I think it looks weird and would be mispronounced constantly.  I would never choose a name that I wasn't sure of the correct pronunciation myself.

I know it's totally legit name though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Not a fan.

I much prefer Honor. 

image     image  image
       Maverick James 01.07.2012                  * Married 01.23.2010 *                     Harper Skye 01.24.2013

• I'd definitely pronounce it uh-nor-ah. I think it's pretty with that pronunciation.
  • On-or-ah. ... I love it!
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

• Nms.
    www.thefamilyragan. blogspot.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • based on the replies, looks like you'll have to pick your favorite pronounciation and she'll have to always let people know what it is

Also, I would think hard about Honor for a girl.  Middle school can be cruel.  Actual overheard conversation 2 years ago: "who's your science partner?" "Honor" "You got Honor?" "I'd get on-her if I could"  lovely mature 6th grade boys.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think the H would be silent.

ETA: I'm not a fan of the name though!
  • Honora is my daughter's name (nn Nora). It's pronounced uh-NOR-ah. https://www.pronouncehow.com/english/honora_pronunciation

It's not a common name, so you're more likely to have to pronounce it than you would with something more familiar like Olivia. If you're concerned with pronunciation issues, Annora and On?ra are accepted variations that are a little more obvious. https://www.behindthename.com/name/honora

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"