Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

The honeybun snatcher...with a little GTKY thrown in

My SD, who is 5. Decided that the answer to getting told no at the grocery store was to steal a honeybun. She was with her mom when all this happened.
DH and I just so happened to be in that part of town so we went to the grocery store. DH took SD back in and made her apologize to the manager and give it back. We offered to pay for it,but they told us that wasn't necessary.

Her mom was so embarrassed, but to me and DH the biggest punishment was for her to go back and apologize. I know it won't happen again but now we have an embarrassing story on her for when she gets older. :]

Anyone else have a similar experience with your LO?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married Since March 2011 TTC since July 2011 Medical issues finally sorted out May 2012

Re: The honeybun snatcher...with a little GTKY thrown in

• Options
    imageamricangrl1:
    My SD, who is 5. Decided that the answer to getting told no at the grocery store was to steal a honeybun. She was with her mom when all this happened. DH and I just so happened to be in that part of town so we went to the grocery store. DH took SD back in and made her apologize to the manager and give it back. We offered to pay for it,but they told us that wasn't necessary. Her mom was so embarrassed, but to me and DH the biggest punishment was for her to go back and apologize. I know it won't happen again but now we have an embarrassing story on her for when she gets older. :] Anyone else have a similar experience with your LO?
    As a teacher, I applaud you.  My students don't always realize there are consequences for their choices. I had a parent do a students homework over the break. The student lied about it but I knew different by the handwriting. I asked them to write an essay in class for me and the handwriting was still different. When I called the parent the response I got was that they didn't know they couldn't do that.  So, thank you for making there be consequences!
  • Options
    Good for you!  I don't have any LOs either, but my parents did this to my brother when he was about the same age.  He never stole anything again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As a teacher, I applaud you. nbsp;My students don't always realize there are consequences for their choices. I had a parent do a students homework over the break. The student lied about it but I knew different by the handwriting. I asked them to write an essay in class for me and the handwriting was still different. When I called the parent the response I got was that they didn't know they couldn't do that. nbsp;So, thank you for making there be consequences!

That is crazy! That just blows my mind!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married Since March 2011 TTC since July 2011 Medical issues finally sorted out May 2012
  • Options
    imagebootsiebabe:
    Good for you! nbsp;I don't have any LOs either, but my parents did this to my brother when he was about the same age. nbsp;He never stole anything again!

What makes this situation even crazier is my niece just did the exact same thing not too long ago. But I know lessons have been learned...
  • Options
    imageSlapptastic:
    I don't have any LO's, but I wanted to applaud you for doing the right thing!

Thank you =]
  • Options
    Kuddos to you and your DH for enforcing consequences! Well done!
  • Options

My DD #1 took a tube of sample lipstick from MAC at a mall that was about 45 minutes away from home. I didn't notice she had it until we were home. I called the store and spoke to the manager, I told her that we would be bring it back the next day. We made DD, who was 4 at that time go and ask for the manager and apologlize for taking the lipstick.

She has always been extremely shy, so it was hard for her because of her personality, but we feel that it was the right thing to do. They have to be held accountable for their actions even as children. 

I think you and your DH made the right decision!! 

~Allyson 6 & Ellianna 5~
    ~Team green turned Blue on 4/6/14~
  • Options

I think that was the perfect way to handle it. Good for you!

When I was about 5, my family went out to Bob Evans for dinner. We had a lot of leftover food, so when we were leaving, my parents told us (my brothers and me) to "grab everything." For whatever reason, I had grown attached to the butter knife I had and decided to bring it home with me. The next day, my mum was washing dishes and found the knife in the sink and asked where it came from. I told her I took it from Bob Evans. She immediately told me that was the wrong thing to do and took me over to Bob Evans and explain to the manager that I had taken the knife and apologise. To this day, I still remember having to do it and it was in the back of my mind throughout my teenage years when my friends would steal merchandise from stores (which I never did, because of the knife incident.) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageFrozannah:

When I was about 5, my family went out to Bob Evans for dinner. We had a lot of leftover food, so when we were leaving, my parents told us (my brothers and me) to "grab everything." For whatever reason, I had grown attached to the butter knife I had and decided to bring it home with me. The next day, my mum was washing dishes and found the knife in the sink and asked where it came from. I told her I took it from Bob Evans. She immediately told me that was the wrong thing to do and took me over to Bob Evans and explain to the manager that I had taken the knife and apologise. To this day, I still remember having to do it and it was in the back of my mind throughout my teenage years when my friends would steal merchandise from stores (which I never did, because of the knife incident.) 

I "accidentally" stole something when I was 5 too! We were at a store buying luggage. One suitcase came with two little suitcase locks and the other only had one. When it looked like we were going to buy the one with one lock, I took one from the other suitcase and put it on the one we were going to buy. I honestly didn't understand that it was stealing.

A few days later my mom noticed that I was playing with two locks, and she took me back to the store. I remember waiting in line and meeting the manager so clearly. My mom had rather hoped that he would talk to me calmly about consequences and thank me for making the right choice by returning it. Instead, he yelled at me and threatened to call the police. Not quite as mom planned, but I guess it did still have the intended effect.

imageimage
  • Options
    imageraeyn:
    imageFrozannah:

I "accidentally" stole something when I was 5 too! We were at a store buying luggage. One suitcase came with two little suitcase locks and the other only had one. When it looked like we were going to buy the one with one lock, I took one from the other suitcase and put it on the one we were going to buy. I honestly didn't understand that it was stealing.

A few days later my mom noticed that I was playing with two locks, and she took me back to the store. I remember waiting in line and meeting the manager so clearly. My mom had rather hoped that he would talk to me calmly about consequences and thank me for making the right choice by returning it. Instead, he yelled at me and threatened to call the police. Not quite as mom planned, but I guess it did still have the intended effect.

Awwww! Poor Raeyn :( That's such a terrible response from the manager. He way overreacted, hot damn.

I was lucky in that the manager and other employees all smiled and thanked me for telling the truth.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"