January 2013 Moms

Things you wish people had told you

What are some things you have discovered these first few days/weeks with LO that you wish you knew before hand

For me:

That babies are super loud sleepers (Thanks Bump Ladies for filling me in today!). I kept thinking something was wrong with DD.
How frustrated you can get with LO. I feel like a horrible mother when I get upset with her and just want her to sleep and leave me alone.

Good notes:
How quickly you can go from being frustrated to absolutely in love with your LO in a matter of seconds.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

Re: Things you wish people had told you

• imageSunshineShades:
    What are some things you have discovered these first few days/weeks with LO that you wish you knew before hand

For me:

That babies are super loud sleepers (Thanks Bump Ladies for filling me in today!). I kept thinking something was wrong with DD.

How frustrated you can get with LO. I feel like a horrible mother when I get upset with her and just want her to sleep and leave me alone.

Good notes:
    How quickly you can go from being frustrated to absolutely in love with your LO in a matter of seconds.

This. And that sleep deprivation really takes a toll on your emotions so to get as much support (whether that's family or a nanny/night nurse) to help with things the first month or so. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • That just because everyone you know had a baby before their EDD doesn't mean that you will. I've literally had people telling me they have never met or known anyone to go to their EDD or past it  . . guess I'm special. lol

Wish someone had told me that just because you gain 7 pounds in one month its no reason to freak out and things will even out later. Sometimes 7 pounds that month is just what your body needed to do.  

• Loading the player...
  • Unless your baby has an allergy to your milk or something serious, giving your baby formula will not help it sleep better at night. It will only eff with your supply and bring on more emotional guilt! 

PP bleeding is no joke. It sucks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • You lose TONS of hair in the first few weeks!  I know your hair thickens in pregnancy, but no one warned me it all comes out afterwards!  I swear I though I was going to go bald last time because of how much came out every time I showered!  Not quite the way to feel pretty when you already feel dumpy.  :(  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSunshineShades:

For me:

Good notes:

This is so true, I get so frustrated at like 3 AM when she's ready to feed for like the 3rd hour in a row but as soon as I pick her up I just want to smother her in kisses.

• imagethis decaf life:

imageSunshineShades:

For me:

Good notes:

This is so true, I get so frustrated at like 3 AM when she's ready to feed for like the 3rd hour in a row but as soon as I pick her up I just want to smother her in kisses.

So glad I'm not the only one! LO has had issues latching and I get so incredibly frustrated through the process of getting him latched. Then as soon as he's latched, I'm in tears because I feel so guilty for getting upset with him... Oh the hormones and sleep deprivation!

Oh, and I wish people had told me that even when LO sleeps well, it's only for a couple of hours at a time (this part I knew) and that even when you get 8 hours of sleep, it's so spread out and broken up that you wake up feeling hung over!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEAMommy:
    imagethis decaf life:

imageSunshineShades:

For me:

Good notes:

So glad I'm not the only one! LO has had issues latching and I get so incredibly frustrated through the process of getting him latched. Then as soon as he's latched, I'm in tears because I feel so guilty for getting upset with him... Oh the hormones and sleep deprivation!

Oh, and I wish people had told me that even when LO sleeps well, it's only for a couple of hours at a time (this part I knew) and that even when you get 8 hours of sleep, it's so spread out and broken up that you wake up feeling hung over!

Lurking from Dec '12. I had to say how good it makes me feel to know that others feel this way too. I feel so guilty for getting upset with LO about waking up so often at night to feed.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I am so glad so many of you agree with the getting frustrated part. I was a little worried about saying anything in case people were like "How could you ever get frustrated with your LO!!!" Irrational I know, but it is nice to know none of us are alone in our thoughts!

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• imageteds1chic:
    Mine would be that no matter how great the latch is, your nipples will hurt in the beginning and by "hurt" I mean excruciating pain that will bring you to tears!

While I am still carrying LO inside, this would be exactly what I'd say! The pain does stop though and you don't even know they're there!!! 

DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That going to target by myself would feel like a vacation. Thank god for my husband he has been great taking the baby when he gets home so I can have some me time. I give major props to the single ladies that have to do this alone. Just that 3 am diaper change means the world to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I definitely agree with the nipples hurting like hell!!!And breastfeeding isn't easy! I wish someone told me that!!!I agree with the frustration thing too.

I also didn't know that I would miss being pregnant. Also, how some of my friends annoy me a little when they complain about how tired they are because they woke up a 1/2 hour before their alarm went off!!! And how paranoid and worried I would be because of this "Flu Epidemic!" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_0941
  • imagejessalared:
    That going to target by myself would feel like a vacation. Thank god for my husband he has been great taking the baby when he gets home so I can have some me time. I give major props to the single ladies that have to do this alone. Just that 3 am diaper change means the world to me.

Doing it solo and trust me sometimes I sit and cry because I wish my hubby was here to help but then LO snuggles on my chest and falls asleep like right now and I'm so thankful to have a piece of his daddy with me all the time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagehansonam446:
    imagejessalared:
    That going to target by myself would feel like a vacation. Thank god for my husband he has been great taking the baby when he gets home so I can have some me time. I give major props to the single ladies that have to do this alone. Just that 3 am diaper change means the world to me.

Doing it solo and trust me sometimes I sit and cry because I wish my hubby was here to help but then LO snuggles on my chest and falls asleep like right now and I'm so thankful to have a piece of his daddy with me all the time.

Well I am sending a prayer your way, keep your head up! My mom did it alone and I appreciate her even more right now. She must have been superwoman.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagejessalared:
    imagehansonam446:
    imagejessalared:

Well I am sending a prayer your way, keep your head up! My mom did it alone and I appreciate her even more right now. She must have been superwoman.

Thank you : my mom did it also so I know it can be done! It's only for the next week and half and then I'm moving in with my mom and will have someone constantly around to help out so there is a light!

Also, yeah, the nipple thing. I was told if your latch was correct it shouldn't hurt...wrong! My LO was BF'd for the first week of his life and my poor nips were so beaten up :
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wish I had been prepared for postpartum cramping to be worse than contractions at times. Those first 2-3 days days were horrible especially when breastfeeding. Today it became more tolerable.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• imageAllycat11:
    I wish I had been prepared for postpartum cramping to be worse than contractions at times. Those first 23 days days were horrible especially when breastfeeding. Today it became more tolerable. nbsp;nbsp;

People did actually warn me I would have contractions while breast feeding, but it never happened to me. They say it's your uterus shrinking back down to size so I guess that's the plus side!
  • imageteds1chic:
    Mine would be that no matter how great the latch is, your nipples will hurt in the beginning and by "hurt" I mean excruciating pain that will bring you to tears!

Yes, this is no joke. 

Also, Yes to the PP cramping. No fun. :/

I wish someone had told me how sore you'd be sitting in a hospital bed for days. :( This time, I'm going to really try hard to walk around a bit more, and at least shift positions every now and then to try to avoid such a sore tush. :( 

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• imagethis decaf life:

imageSunshineShades:

For me:

Good notes:

THIS :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yup, in the camp of feeling so frustrated when LO won't latch. Even after two consultations in the hospital with the lactation ladies, I was not having luck. She got jaundice and I was told to supplement with formula. I was shown how to pump and SO MUCH BETTER!  Now I am pumping and bottle feeding, rarely supplementing with formula and going to try to get her to latch with a nipple shield again today. So nervous though. Heading to another outpatient lactation consult next week and good news is jaundice is gone since she ate and pooped so much!

Also, getting clothes on is so much harder than I remember with babysitting when I was a kid! That and she is in the 90% percentile for height so her long arms and legs aren't fitting into many of the newborn stuff. Not that it isn't fun to shop online. 

ETA getting LO on a feeding schedule is a lifesaver. The night nurse told me to start right away working on getting her on a three hour schedule. Certainly it doesn't always work with the occasional two hour meltdown but it seems to be fairly successful with her waking herself at three hours four days in. The nurse said to hold out as long as possible with a paci or walking her around before we just jump in an feed more than a half hour early. Of course that is easier said than done.

• imagehansonam446:
    imagejessalared:

Totally agree!!!!! Just going to target or picking up dinner after hubby gets home. It's a nice few min to yourself.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • u mean some people with kids actually get to go places without their kids??? lol ID think i was on vacation if i got to pee alone!!! (or take a shower without my lil man outside the door having a meltdown!!!) oh the joys of being a mommy!!! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"