Breastfeeding

EBF/EP: How much milk are you able to freeze per day?

I breastfeed, but give 1 bottle of bm a day (gives DH a chance to feed her, and gives me a break), but I will pump during that time so my body knows to continue making milk.  I also usually pump after her morning nursing session.  Each day I am able to freeze about 8-12 oz of milk.  I am just wondering if this is normal, or if I should be freezing more?  I SAH, so the only reason I am getting a stash built up is in case I get sick or if I will be away for a long period of time.
Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby

Re: EBF/EP: How much milk are you able to freeze per day?

• 8-12 oz a day is a lot, you definitely have an oversupply.  It is good to have a small stash on hand but, unless you rotate, it will go bad. 

Just think of it this way, if you keep it up at that rate you are going to need an extra freezer.  It will only take about 3 months to have 1000 oz in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I tried to have to freeze none.  I wanted my LO to have fresh as much as possible.  I ended up donating the rest of my stash.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I EBF on evenings and weekends and pump at work. At first I was freezing about the same amount as you.  Now I've cut back to around 4oz a day.  My stash is around 200 oz. & I really don't want any more than about 300oz.  If I get more I'll donate.

image imageimageimage

• I was actually in the same place you are now.  I went back to work at 8 weeks, but was so worried about not having enough milk I was freezing 10-12 oz a day from 5 weeks on. 

Well now I have about 600 oz in the freezer (I am looking into donation).  I am down to freezing only about 12 oz a week at this point, but it took longer than I thought it would to downregulate my supply.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I EBF and I'm back at work full time.

I'm still freezing 10+oz a day. Getting another freezer and I rotate as necessary, and looking to donate.

"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • imageLadiebug710:

Well now I have about 600 oz in the freezer (I am looking into donation).  I am down to freezing only about 12 oz a week at this point, but it took longer than I thought it would to downregulate my supply.

I only pump about 5-6 ounces extra a day, and it's too much. My freezer is basically full. How do you start weaning off the extra pumping and downregulate the supply? I was just going to start pumping a minute or two less in the morning each week until I'd basically weaned off that session completely.

January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• imagetheresat858:

Wow, that's a ton.

On maternity leave I froze about 4oz/day, and I thought that was a decent amount. 

This!.  I also have a healthy supply.  On average, I get about 6-10oz per pumping.  I am freezing about 20oz a week, which is way too much.  I'm only defrosting around 4oz per week.  I will probably cut back my pumping around 10-11 months and work through my freezer stash.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"