October 2011 Moms

S/O Shiz that dates you

Walk Like an Egyptian was also 1 the year I was born and was one of my favorite songs growing up. We had a record player in my basement and I used to listen to that, The Locomotion, Hey Mickey and the Grease soundtrack non stop while playing Math Blaster on our DOS computer. I am so not impressed Lo can use my phone, pssh. I'd love to see E using an old school computer and loading continuous paper on a dot matrix printer.

Re: S/O Shiz that dates you

• I remember when it was a big deal when shower gel came out and didn't have to use a bar anymore.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• On another message board, I just talked about my Richard Marx cassette getting confiscated by my father.
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• Loading the player...
  • Things that date me:

-I call most music players Jam Boxes and all video game consoles are Nintendos

-I still have my Hot 9 at 9 cassette tapes...you know from when I recorded the music from the radio.  Only problem is that I have nothing to listen to them on ;-)

-The fact that neon and boat shoes are in style... gag me with a spoon.  If worn once, never again.  

-I really miss regular home phones w/answering machines...and Ecto Cooler Hi-C boxes. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageanasazi17:
    Things that date me:I call most music players Jam Boxes and all video game consoles are NintendosI still have my Hot 9 at 9 cassette tapes...you know from when I recorded the music from the radio. nbsp;Only problem is that I have nothing to listen to them on ;The fact that neon and boat shoes are in style... gag me with a spoon. nbsp;If worn once, never again. nbsp;I really miss regular home phones w/answering machines...and Ecto Cooler HiC boxes.nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;

Ecto coolers were the shiz.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I remember buying my first cd at age 12.

We had "computer" session in my elementary school where we had to program using DOS on Apple IIes - make a little turtle go around the screen. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I swear I saw Ecto Coolers at the Commisary not that long ago! I know I've bought them for E not that long ago. MH makes some kind of drink that tastes like Ecto Cooler, a Pearl Harbor I think?
  • Stuff that dates me:

1.) My Mom had an 8-track deck in the car and on our stereo at home so I grew up with that and owned some of my own 8-track tapes.

2.) I owned a Sony Walkman and I think I may still have it in my basement somewhere.

3.)When I was a manager at a restaurant I had to carry a pager to be reached. Cell phones were just coming on the market and were extremely expensive (and large).

4.) The high beam light switch in the car was on the floor. When I was a teenager I drove cars with the switch still on the floor.

5.) My family had a slide projector and we would pull it out to look at family pictures when my brother and I were young. We also had a home movie projector.

Oh the memories!

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecantalopes24:
    I swear I saw Ecto Coolers at the Commisary not that long ago! I know I've bought them for E not that long ago. MH makes some kind of drink that tastes like Ecto Cooler, a Pearl Harbor I think?

Yum!  I found this recipe:  

1 Packet Flavor Aid Orange1 Packet Flavor Aid Tangerine3/4 Cup Orange Juice (No Pulp)3/4 Cup Tangerine Juice1/3 scoop Countrytime Lemonade1 3/4 Cups SugarGreen and blue food coloring.
    I may try a boozy version this summer ;)

• How about my mother saying to me yesterday "I can't believe you are going to be 35"! Gee, thanks Mom!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    1. Girl Talk,  mine still has a couple zits left in the box
    2. Rose petal dolls
    3. My brother had a perm
    4. Remember when Little Cesar's pizzas were rectangle?
    5. I remember when the McDonald's by Superdeduper's house had a "train" and would take us to a play ground up on a the hill where they had an outdoor eating area.  Did anyone else have a McDonald's like that?
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • A few more things...

1.) I was 17-18 when the Berlin wall fell and Germany was reunified. My childhood was during the Cold War era. The USSR existed until I was an adult.

2.) AIDS wasn't known/identified until I was 12 yo. I remember the health department shutting down the bath houses in San Francisco.

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The first video game I played was Frogger on the Atari.

I loved jellies.

Punky Brewster was my idol. (Actually, I really wanted to be her pretty blonde friend Margaux)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I remember when my parents got a cell phone for the car and it came in a little briefcase.  I thought I was cool using it anyway.  We didn't get a VCR until I was in middle school I think and I loved going to the video store to rent movies!  Remember "Be Kind, Rewind"?  I don't think I ever had to sit in a carseat!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagepennysuedog:
    1. Girl Talk,  mine still has a couple zits left in the box
    2. Rose petal dolls
    3. My brother had a perm
    4. Remember when Little Cesar's pizzas were rectangle?
    5. I remember when the McDonald's by Superdeduper's house had a "train" and would take us to a play ground up on a the hill where they had an outdoor eating area.  Did anyone else have a McDonald's like that?

Girl Talk!  Agh!  That was our thing for slumber parties!  I'd forgotten!

My first job was at Little Caesars!  I totally remember the rectangle pizzas!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought this patch set and made a shirt for C as a gift to my gamer geek husband and she wore it to school this week.  I joked that we should ask all of the college aged aides if they knew what it was - only a handful did.  *cry*

• imagePackerfan79:
    What dates me is that my DH is 5 years younger than me and never understanding my "Jessica Spano was addicted to caffine pills" stories.

I'm so excited....I'm so scared 

• imagesmit5009:
    A few more things...1. I was 1718 when the Berlin wall fell and Germany was reunified. My childhood was during the Cold War era. The USSR existed until I was an adult.2. AIDS wasn't known/identified until I was 12 yo. I remember the health department shutting down the bath houses in San Francisco.nbsp;

My mom started swing shifts for Desert Storm on my 5 birthday.
  • I am so old, I remember that Twix used to be Raider.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I tap danced in front of a full length mirror at my mom's with my jellies. I accidentally kicked the mirror and broke it. My mom still lives there and the mirror is still broken.

My mom and dad has a nasty divorce when I was 1012, but my mom still lives in the house they lived in together.

DD is the same age now that I was when we moved in to the house. My mom keeps telling me how hard it is to watch her where her and my dad had so many issues.

I don't know how I feel about this.
  • imagesmit5009:
    A few more things...1. I was 1718 when the Berlin wall fell and Germany was reunified. My childhood was during the Cold War era. The USSR existed until I was an adult.2. AIDS wasn't known/identified until I was 12 yo. I remember the health department shutting down the bath houses in San Francisco.nbsp;

I was 8 when the wall came down but I was there. Walked the protests, saw the tanks and all. Not in Berlin, but Leipzig. Crazy.

And you cannot have been 17 at that point....really?
  • Bozo the clown, bushes. I miss that shiz.

imageimage

• We still own the original Nintendo.  I took Oliver to a place called Chatterbox a few years ago for an event.  It is like a pub that specializes in nostalgiac games and video games.  He impressed all the 20 year olds playing  Mario Bros two (the one with Peach) They could not believe he knew all the secrets. 

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • imageNita2603:
    imagesmit5009:
    I was 8 when the wall came down but I was there. Walked the protests, saw the tanks and all. Not in Berlin, but Leipzig. Crazy. And you cannot have been 17 at that point....really?

Nita, that would have been even more amazing to witness IRL rather than just on TV. That was such a historic moment! Yeah, unfortunately I was 17...I was born in '72 and the wall fell late '89-'90. I am a really old fart. Embarrassed

• imagePappsMcgee:

I remember riding around in our family car- a pea green PINTO

I used to go to the store and my mom would let me pick out a record to bring home. My fav one was the Smurfs.

I loved the Snorks

My bedroom carpet growing up was a high shag that was bright orange and puke green squares

I used to walk over a mile to school when I was in kindergarten

Oh no, not the exploding Pinto!

• imagesmit5009:

imageNita2603:
    imagesmit5009:

I was 8 when the wall came down but I was there. Walked the protests, saw the tanks and all. Not in Berlin, but Leipzig. Crazy.

And you cannot have been 17 at that point....really?

Nita, that would have been even more amazing to witness IRL rather than just on TV. That was such a historic moment! Yeah, unfortunately I was 17...I was born in '72 and the wall fell late '89-'90. I am a really old fart. Embarrassed

You don't look it, though. At all.
    I am impressed.
  • imageNita2603:
    imagesmit5009:

imageNita2603:
    imagesmit5009:
    I was 8 when the wall came down but I was there. Walked the protests, saw the tanks and all. Not in Berlin, but Leipzig. Crazy. And you cannot have been 17 at that point....really?

You don't look it, though. At all. I am impressed.

Thanks so much! That is so very kind of you and just made my day! Big Smile

• imagePappsMcgee:

imagemissyleaferg:
    Bozo the clown, bushes. I miss that shiz.

Oh em gee I hated Bozo! lol

How about now?

imageimage

• The first house I lived in had bright yellow shag carpet.  I'm pretty sure that learning to crawl on that sh!t is why I now have issues about fluff getting in my mouth and never liked stuffed animals growing up.

I also still have the original Nintendo (complete with Duck Hunt and gun) and Game Boy.

I still feel left out that I never had one of the hypercolour shirts that changed colours.  I thought they were the coolest thing ever.

The sound of a modem connecting reminds me of late night ICQ chats with friends in high school.

I played computer games like Lemmings with a joystick.

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• I got my own stereo when I was seven or eight and it had a record player and double cassette deck. My first record was Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Want to Have Fun".

I had a waterbed for most of my childhood-it was supposed to be good for allergies and asthma.

I pegged my pants and wore loafers with the twisty shoe laces.

We had a wood-paneled station wagon that I hated.

I had a perm for a large part of my adolescence.

• imagePappsMcgee:

I remember those hyper colored shirts! They were so cool! I still have the orignial Nintendo and a few games. I gave most of them to my BIL though

I played Oregon Trail on those OLD computers with a green screen. I remember they had just come out and we were lucky to get them at our school.

PUFFY PAINT!!!11!!111!!!

imageimage

• imagePappsMcgee:

I remember those hyper colored shirts! They were so cool! I still have the orignial Nintendo and a few games. I gave most of them to my BIL though

I played Oregon Trail on those OLD computers with a green screen. I remember they had just come out and we were lucky to get them at our school.

I remember how exciting it was to have Oregon Trail days at school.  I lived for those days.

I remember mastering the fine art of making a mix tape.  However, I hated it when my favorite song came on, I was ready to record, and the DJ wouldn't shut the eff up until the very start of the song!  Then you had to wait forever to hear the song again and record it.

I used to buy single songs on cassette at the record store in the mall.  Going through my tapes the other day, I see that I still have Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' and Roberta Flack's 'Set The Night To Music'.  Have I mentioned that my music tastes are very diverse?

ETA:

Another thing that our kids won't have the pleasure of doing.  The fine art of note folding!  I was a pro...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagePappsMcgee:

My mom wouldn't allow me to have a hyper-color shirt because she said "who would want a shirt that turns colors under the arm pits"...deprived I was. 

I remember Oregon Trail and Nintendo too.

• Without reading the other posts...

• We had one computer in my elementary school in the library and it had Oregon Trail on it.
    • We used Copy Paper and Dot Matrix paper for the printer
    • I used to play "worm" on the computer in middle school/high school
    • We had an antenna on our roof to get TV channels in and a knob on the tv to change them
    • I LOVED atari and played seaquest and pitfall all of the time

I'm sure I have a million more!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemissyleaferg:

PUFFY PAINT!!!11!!111!!!

Oh, my goodness, yes!  I loved Puffy Paint!

And I wanted to start my own version of The Babysitters Club, but didn't have enough friends who wanted to babysit by the time we were old enough.

Also, my best friend's dad had a portable car phone before there were cell phones.  I thought it was very high tech.

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• I had a pager when I was a senior in high school. I thought it was so cool because it had a voicemail attached.

I always carried dimes in my shoes/pockets in case I missed the bus and needed my mom to pick me up.

I am seriously considering getting DD a fisher-price record player like the one I had,

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • imageMrs. Mo:

I am seriously considering getting DD a fisher-price record player like the one I had,

LOVED that thing!

• imageCate1234:

imagemissyleaferg:
    Bozo the clown, bushes. I miss that shiz.

Two weeks before my Brownie troop was supposed to go to the Bozo Show, we were disbanded and the trip was cancelled.  I am still bitter as hell about that!

We used to record videos on MTV and then watch them over and over and then try to recreate the dance sequences - rocking our pegged jeans, slap bracelets and huge mall bangs. 

I always dreamed about going on that show.  My brother and I would practice the ping pong bucket game at home with whatever we could find. 

Slap bracelets are cool again.  My 10 y/o SD has two of them!

imageimage

• Here's a blast from the past. Does anybody remember this show??

[captain.jpg] 

• imagesmit5009:

Here's a blast from the past. Does anybody remember this show??

[captain.jpg] 

Cap'n Kangaroo!

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I too loved the Babysitters Club, and Sweet Valley High books.

I got my first CD player when I was almost 13, my first CD was Hanson... with Mmmbop!  I also had a grease soundtrack that I played to death and then my Step Dad ended up breaking it in half :/  

My friends and I would pass notes but made up nicknames for each other so if they were found nobody would know who they were to/from.  

My first typing class was on an old school mac with a blue screen, but in Jr. High we still typed on old typewriters, my teacher was a wench who gave me more than enough detentions for talking, and used to put strips of tacks under our wrists to keep us in the "proper typing position".  We also had oregon trail - LOVED game days in computer class!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"