February 2013 Moms

Recommend your shows

So I am hitting about day 6 of bed rest.  I have watched a couple of series on net.flix already so I am looking for new suggestions.

I am not a huge TV fanatic so I am not sure what even is worth it and I have hit a few lemons over the past few days.   TV series are preferred as they waste more time but good movies are great too for when I take a break from a show.

What shows do you watch on instant play and what kind of show is it? 

I will say I am a wimp so if it has a ton of medical stuff (like actually showing the procedures) or is scary I am going to pass.  I can handle some medical stuff like Greys but nothing down right gory.  Please feel free to make fun of me over this!

Thanks in advance ladies!

M & M
06/12 - BFP!!!!
Beta #1 15dpo - 256
Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
EDD 02/21/13
09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Recommend your shows

• I will be of no help to you, but I'm curious to see what others suggest.  I have several friends who are very obsessed with Grey's as well as Pretty Little Liars, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, etc.  

I'm a huge nerd and if my TV isn't on The Science Channel, The History Channel (including H2), or Discovery Health, it's probably on Food Network.

DD: 6/30/09. Mild pre-e DS: 9/5/10. Normal pregnancy Diagnosed 6/4/12 with dermatomyositis. Currently on Prednisone and IVIG therapy. 9/11/12: Normal a/s for DS2. No side effects from my medication, yay! DS2: 1/28/13. Thankful for healthy children! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I recently started watching parenthood and I'm addicted! I don't know if you can watch it on Netflix though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • How I Met Your Mother and Rules of Engagement (Both hilarious half hour sitcoms with a ton of episodes)

Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, One Tree Hill and Vampire Diaries (Teeny Bopper shows that I am not ashamed to love!)

Sons of Anarchy, White Collar Crime, Revenge and Scandal (Shows DH and I watch together)

Parenthood and Brothers and Sisters (Family shows, funny and sentimental)

We don't have cable, only Netflix so these are all available to stream!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• Hmmm I am a TV junkie. My husband am I love and can agree on a couple of shows....

Homeland, Dexter (maybe too bloody?), Game of Thrones, Shameless, The Borgias, and of course True Blood (vampires... also maybe too bloody?) - All of these shows come on either showtime or HBO

Shows I love on my own? I can't get enough Downton Abbey right now and also my guilty pleasures like vampire diaries.

I dont know if any of these are on netflix...Sorry. I hope you can find something to help you pass the time while being entertained.  

--Married 4 Years - PCOS - Insulin Resistant - Irregular Cycles - TTC 24mon - Metformin - Progesterone - Phentermine - 40 pounds lost - 3 rounds Clomid - DH 1% sperm morphology - BFP June 23rd - Paxton born 2/15/2013 - August 2013 Let's Have Another Baby- Charting Cycles with OPC and Charting Temps, No Ovulation Jan- Start clomid Feb 2014  --
  • Oh and like some PP said white collar and since others weren't afraid to admit it... basically anything that comes on ABC family after 8..... I watch a lot of TV.   :/
    --Married 4 Years - PCOS - Insulin Resistant - Irregular Cycles - TTC 24mon - Metformin - Progesterone - Phentermine - 40 pounds lost - 3 rounds Clomid - DH 1% sperm morphology - BFP June 23rd - Paxton born 2/15/2013 - August 2013 Let's Have Another Baby- Charting Cycles with OPC and Charting Temps, No Ovulation Jan- Start clomid Feb 2014  --
  • Psych - Detective (funny)
    Lost - older show that most have seen, but if you haven't, a plane crashes on an island and the survivors must try to stay alive
    The Walking Dead (though it might not be up your alley) - Zombies
    Doctor Who - SciFi - there are episodes from 50 years ago, but newer ones as well.  You can really pick up at almost any episode and watch without too much need for the backstory, though it is helpful
    Eureka - SciFi (funny) - a town that houses brilliant scientists and all that can go wrong
    Warehouse 13 - SciFi (funny) - Two agents go around the country trying to deactivate 'artifacts' that are causing issues
    Once Upon a Time - loosely based on fairy tales
    Weeds - a woman's husband dies and she starts selling pot to her neighbors - much better than it sounds.  haha.
    Sherlock - Bases on Sherlock Holmes
    Raising Hope - (funny) - a guy knocks up a murderer and is now raising the baby with his parents and MeeMaw.  Hysterical.

This makes me realize I've watched way too much TV in the past.  I don't have cable anymore, so there aren't many newer shows on the list, but I did try to give you a variety.

• PRISON BREAK! It's a must! I am not big on tv shows but I started watching this at random on netflix and ended up cancelling my plans for the next two days because I was that hooked. It has some romance but not too much, lots of suspense and excitement. 

Other shows I like are

Revenge

Once Upon a Time

Glee

How I met Your Mother

Big Bang Theory 

• If you like scifi at all, Netflix has all of Battlestar Galactica which is fantastic.  I've been rewatching it again during my bedrest (almost done with 7 weeks of it!).

Not sure if they still have it, but they did have most of Breaking Bad on Netflix also, which is one of my most favorite shows ever.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• We love dexter, the walking dead, how I met your mother, Big Bang theory, true blood, criminal minds, & modern family. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not sure what's on Netflix and what's not, but:

How I Met Your Mother, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Homeland, The Walking Dead (probably won't work for you if you are squeamish!), Friday Night Lights, Freaks & Geeks, Six Feet Under, True Blood, Justified.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Downton Abbey (I think Netflix only has the first season though.) 
  • The New Girl! It'll keep you laughing for sure :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Survivor - I had never watched it before (wasn't my kind of show) and my husband turned it on the other day and now I'm hooked. We're going through all the seasons on Hulu.

Go On

Downton Abbey

Pretty much anything on PBS - Nova, Frontline, Carrier

16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom - *embarrassed face* So addicting though! 

BabyFetus Ticker

• I swear I am not kidding when I recommend Vampire Diaries!

I was recommended it because I am on restrictions and some days those restrictions mean only food and potty breaks kinda deal and DH's cousin recommended it. And I am sure she didn't mean for me to love it for the sake of laughing at it, but the cheese in some of the lines makes me laugh so hard it instantly makes me feel better! Plus one of the brothers is kinda good looking and tends to be the funnier of the two so its always a bonus!

But yeah other then that I have really enjoyed watching drop dead diva and numbers. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • PARENTHOOD!!!! My absolute favorite! Great family show and i cry just about every episode.

Pretty Little Liars and Switched at Birth are guilty pleasure for me. Oh and can't forget Teen Mom Teen Mom 2 and 16 and pregnant.

• Thanks so much! I think this is a great starting point!  I have seen a lot of these on there just didn't know if they were hit or miss. 

We have cable at home but I generally have the TV on food network, discovery etc and SO's show choices don't really match mine.  She is the one who has tons of things set to DVR (series) so I tried to watch some of them but they are several seasons in so I am lost.   So I figured I would go to netflix and watch some shows from the beginning.

Thanks again!

M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I second (or third?) Parenthood.  That's an amazing show and in it's 3rd season (I think), so there should be quite a few episodes for you to watch.

If you never watched The Sopranos or Sex and the City, you can probably catch up on those via Hulu.  They are older series so I doubt Netflix would have them.

I also LOVE Suits, which is on USA.  It was on winter hiatus and is coming back this Thursday.  This is it's second season.  I'm not sure where you might be able to find older episodes, but you can at least start watching/DVRing now, if you'd like. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hmmm... shows I have liked and I *think* are on Netflix:

Grey's Anatomy

Private Practice

Parenthood

Gossip Girl

Brothers and Sisters

The West Wing

Thirty Rock

Downton Abbey

Revenge

Once Upon a Time

Arrested Development

The Tudors 

Mad Men

Weeds

Friday Night Lights

Lost

Greek

Scandal

Vampire Diaries

Army Wives

• This show hasn't been mentioned yet: Sherlock.   It's on Netflix.  I highly recommend it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like most of these.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I also recommend Parenthood, 16 & pregnant is great too, Downton Abby, Private Practice is good (medical but not too gory), Lying Game is good (but start from the beginning), Big Bang Theory is awesome, Sister Wives on TLC, Amazing Race is also good.

New this season, but is turning out to be my current favorite show is NASHVILLE. It's awesome! 

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • A couple of shows not mentioned, Two Broke Girls, The Middle, and a new series Killer Karaoke (it's a game show and freakin' hilarious!). But all the previous shows mentioned are good choices.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We dvr Criminal Minds and literally watch one episode a night when we are home!  We love it!  They typically don't reference previous episodes, but it is nice to 'know' the characters.  We watch them all out of order though b/c we watch reruns along with new episodes since we just got hooked this year.

New Girl, The Mindy Project, The Office, Parks & Rec, Up All Night, and Locked up Abroad are also on our dvr list :)

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • The Office
    Whitney
    Up All Night
    New Girl
    Anything on HGTV - I am addicted to home improvement shows and House Hunters!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I'd recommend 30 Rock & The New Normal, I prefer comedy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My faves (most of which I am pretty sure are on Netflix:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Angel

Doctor Who

How I Met Your Mother

Parks and Recreation

Lost

Stuff I have watched recently on Netflix:

Revenge

Once Upon a Time

The West Wing

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • We have Netflix and I have watched all of The Office, Grey's, How I Met Your Mother, and my favorite, Parenthood.   I also love random documentaries.  I watched something called Craigslist Joe that was pretty good the other day.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Parenthood, Brothers and Sisters, Big Bang Theory, Intervention
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're big fans of The Newsroom (HBO), True Blood (HBO), Grey's Anatomy (ABC), Impractical Jokers (TruTV), One Tree Hill (was on the CW...seasons 1-6 are the best), and Awkward (MTV). One Tree Hill and Awkward are teen shows, but they're guilty pleasures of ours Embarrassed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"