March 2013 Moms

Cord Blood Banking - are you doing it?

What is everyone's thoughts on banking their babies cord blood?  There is SO much to reseach and a lot of the informaiton is over my head!  Plus there are three main companies (Stemcyte, Viacord and CBR) who keep calling me. I'm trying to compare all three companies and other than cost, there seems to be not too much of a difference.  Would love to hear your opinions - are you doing it and if so, which company and why?

Re: Cord Blood Banking - are you doing it?

• With DS1, we banked with CBR, as a friend recommended them. This time around we are discussing, as our hospital now offers public donation as well...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We will be delaying cord clamping until the umbilical cord stops pulsating. The chances of needing cord blood are extremely slim and not worth the money when the baby could benefit more from the blood when it's born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • After much research and a long discussion with my OB we are not.  I was considering it because there are not really any risks other than cost.  The thing that really made my decision (other than my OB saying that he did not do it for his kids and if he had to do it over he would not) was that they told me that they often work with my OB and he told me that he does not.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrsmcdonald:
    We will be delaying cord clamping until the umbilical cord stops pulsating. The chances of needing cord blood are extremely slim and not worth the money when the baby could benefit more from the blood when it's born.

This.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're doing delayed cord clamping so there wouldn't be blood to harvest. I was seriously thinking of public cord blood donation because it is more likely to be used and doesn't cost you anything to store it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs E in Oregon:
    We're doing delayed cord clamping so there wouldn't be blood to harvest. I was seriously thinking of public cord blood donation because it is more likely to be used and doesn't cost you anything to store it.

I would do this and my OB advocates for it but the hospital where we are going doesn't give that option.

BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemrsmcdonald:
    We will be delaying cord clamping until the umbilical cord stops pulsating. The chances of needing cord blood are extremely slim and not worth the money when the baby could benefit more from the blood when it's born.

same here. 

• imageCountry Girl in the City:

imageMrs E in Oregon:
    We're doing delayed cord clamping so there wouldn't be blood to harvest. I was seriously thinking of public cord blood donation because it is more likely to be used and doesn't cost you anything to store it.

I would do this and my OB advocates for it but the hospital where we are going doesn't give that option.

Same here.  And unless you have a close relative that needs the blood, it is a waste of money.  I have a lot of DRs in my family, and they look at this type of thing as praying on people's worst fears. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My OB who is also pregnant basically told me that it is not necessary and those companies just put uncessary fear into parents. She suggested us donating and she said if we ever needed it down the road we could get it back for free if it has not been used.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am participating in a research study at my hospital so they are talking the fluid, placenta, and cord after baby boy is born.  The research is on Mothers 35plus that have a pregnancy loss followed by a healthy full-term pregnancy.  I guess they didn't have many women orginally carrying twins (who lost one) participating in the program.   Hopefully they can learn something that will help other women :)
  • We are not doing cord blood banking, but we are considering donation. We only ever considered cord blood banking when we though that it could possibly benefit my FIL, who has esophogeal cancer. However, I'm not sure that donation is going to be a possibility anyway, because I have tested positive for antibody M.

Talk to me about delayed cord clamping though. This is the first that I've heard about this, and I'm curious. What are the benefits? How do you arrange it with your doctor/hospital?

BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Not doing it.  I, personally, think it is a rip off.
  • We are donating it to a public bank. It's free, and could help save a life. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am strongly considering it although I think we are leaning toward Maze or Americord. They are less expensive because they don't spend so much on marketing like some of the larger companies. Hopefully we will never need it! 

• We are donating to the local cord blood bank in our area.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemrsmcdonald:

This exactly. 

BabyFetus Ticker image Anniversary FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family
  • I have been told its a scam. If your kid has an issue, so will the cord blood as its the same genetic material. Also the amount of cord blood is not really enough to likely help an adult.
    We may just donate.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We did not. I would have donated the cord blood if our hospital did that.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • According to The Mother of All Baby Books (Ann Douglas): "Only 10 out of 18,000 units stored by a cord bank in .. California have been retrieved to-date, and in each case, they were used by a family with a history of medical problems requiring transplants."  In almost all cases where cord blood was required, a match was found at a public cord blood bank.

DH and I weren't really sure what we wanted to do...  up until we read that paragraph in the book.   I think we are going to donate my cord blood to a public bank, and hope we can find a match there in the unfortunate event that we need it for anything.

I'm not trying to sway anyone in one direction or another, I just think the facts are still so fuzzy in regards to cord blood banking and thought I'd pass-along what we learned in our own research. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lurking here, if you aren't doing delayed cord clamping, public donation is a great choice. A very close friend almost lost his son to leukemia, but an experimental procedure using donated cord blood has kept him alive and now the little guy is even going to school. I am banking mine and did with my first two as well, but it may not make sense for everyone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Its like insurance i think, bc you pray you never have to use it but have it just in case.In terms of cost, maze cord blood laboratories net cost is $599   and they dont charge a yearly fee which is usually about $200+++  here is a link  https://www.mazecordblood.com/cordblood-cost.php 

joyce@mazelabs.com www.mazecordblood.com
  • Hi,

It is upsetting to read these posts that say that cord blood banking is a rip off.  There is so much misinformation out there and the biggest problem is that people are not doing their own research. I know it is time consuming but I worry that people are making their own decision based on what someone else told them to do. I know it's confusing with all of the different information out there- but it is one of the most important decisions you will choose (to do or not) and so is worthy of your investigation.  I will offer full disclosure and tell you that I have been working for Cryo-Cell since July of 2012.  But I am also the mother of 3 children and long before I worked for the company,  I made the decision to bank my children's stem cells with Cryo-Cell (after researching the other major companies).  Obviously, I believe in my decision or I wouldn't have taken a job with the company 8 years later.

But I am not replying to sell you on our company- I just don't want you to miss an opportunity to do something based on old and not up to date information.  And I feel bad for the mom's who are receiving outdated info from their Dr's.  Without boring you with all the details- take a look at the studies being conducted right now at Duke University in regards to stem cell treatment for cerebral palsy or go to a great non-biased website like www.parentsguidetocordblood.com.  In the past I do believe cord blood banking and cord tissue banking were something people thought they should do out of fear- but there are so many potential opportunities for use that go beyond the things you hear about that scare you. It is worth a look, so you see what is available now and what could be available in the future.

Public banking is an excellent option if you can not afford private banking- but please research the limitations of public banking (for example- many donations are thrown away and not stored because the blood collected was not enough to meet the public bank's criteria).

I am sorry that I couldn't give you a quick answer- but I do think you (or any mom) considering this should do the research before they decide against it.  You have to make your own choice- and that will be the right choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"