February 2013 Moms

How Important Would you Consider a Breastfeeding Class?

I have the opportunity to take a breastfeeding class, but it is $75 (and unfortunately, that is $75 that we need to spend carefully right now).  DH is a little hesitant, but he knows how important breastfeeding it to me and is leaving the decision up to me on whether to take the class or not.  I can try and submit the receipt to my insurance and get reimbursed on it, but there is no gauantee they will do so.  With that said, how important do you consider a breastfeeding class to be for a FTM?  It would be one day for 3 hours.
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
View Full Size Image

Re: How Important Would you Consider a Breastfeeding Class?

• Honestly, not that important.  I read Ina May Gaskin's breastfeeding book and then took a class from a lactation consultant.  The book was wonderful and I felt like the class was a waste of time.  Plus, I bought the book (used, from amazon, for $4) so I can refer back to it with questions or as things come up.  If you are stretched for cash, I would read Ina May's book rather than take a class...
  • I would have to ask this-

1) do you guys have a WIC system there? If so you can talk to them about lactation consultants. For DS1, I was given a real person's number to call with questions who would meet with me and help if needed.

2) Does your hospital have Lactation consultants on staff? At our hospital there is a woman or 2 on at all times. They come in to help you with the first feeding, and come and check up on you to help if you have questions or problems your entire stay.

3) Do you know anyone who succesfully breastfed? If so you could always ask them questions. They would probably be willing to help out.

If you have these kind of options, i would say just to read up on it, see if there is any good infromation online, and use the options you have. And save the money.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We took one before DS and and found it helpful.  There are also a lot of good books out there so if you don't want to spend the time/money then maybe you could check out the library for some good books?  Also, hopefully you will get to see a LC after you have LO and they will be able to help you get the hang of it as well.

Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I loved mine and took 4 pages of notes in 2 hrs! ....I hear that it comes naturally but I wanted to learn everything I could.

• The class is being taught by the lactation consultant at my birthing center.  She will be available to me immediately following the birth and covered by my insurance for consultations after the birth if I am having any problems at all.  My mother also breastfed with no problems and there is a La Leche League that meets right at my birthing center once a month so I have many options for support once LO arrives.  Beyond that, they briefly discussed breastfeeding at my prenatal class and I have been reading about it so maybe it will not be necessary.  Thank you for the help so far, ladies!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• Even though I have done a lot of reading, I still found the class to be helpful, as did my DH.  We still learned a lot and got to ask the LC questions.  Of course the LC is available at the hospital and after if needed, but the class made me think of questions that I didn't have written down already.  If money is tight then look into reading... I have heard The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is amazing, although I haven't read it myself.  HTH!
    Baby #1 Due 2/21/13!
  • I found mine a nice addition to the other classes I took, but breastfeeding is a hands-on thing that you kind of can't figure out until you really do it. (You can have someone tell you about how to sky dive in a class room, but you can't learn how to do it until you're standing in a plane, jumping out.) I would consider it a perk if you could go, but not a necessity. 

If you deliver in a hospital, you'll probably have access to lactation consultants who can help you hands-on, or you may be able to find a support group locally that is free (my hospital offers one). Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't take a class, my "birthing class" watched a video that was like 15 min. I still BF DD at 18 months, I didn't miss anything in not taking a class :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Can I suggest instead that you read "So That's What They're For". https://www.amazon.com/So-Thats-What-Theyre-Breastfeeding/dp/1580620418

This book is awesome. Will tell you everything you need to know and is way cheaper than a class. It will give you the confidence to keep going when it gets hard.  

Also talk to your insurance co about coverage for lactation support after the birth.

Jen
    Mom to Ava 12.21.04 and Austin 10.22.06
    BFP 12/5/11...natural m/c 12/23/11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't think a class is that important. Read a book or browse a good website before you have the baby, but the most valuable tool will be a meeting with an LC after the baby is born. Most hospitals have one on staff to help you out those first days.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageosirismama:

I would have to ask this-

1) do you guys have a WIC system there? If so you can talk to them about lactation consultants. For DS1, I was given a real person's number to call with questions who would meet with me and help if needed.

2) Does your hospital have Lactation consultants on staff? At our hospital there is a woman or 2 on at all times. They come in to help you with the first feeding, and come and check up on you to help if you have questions or problems your entire stay.

3) Do you know anyone who succesfully breastfed? If so you could always ask them questions. They would probably be willing to help out.

If you have these kind of options, i would say just to read up on it, see if there is any good infromation online, and use the options you have. And save the money.

This. Also a FTM here and while I paid for the prenatal class that covers a little bit of everything- I'm not paying for a BF class. My WIC peer counselor has been more than enough help. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For me?  It was one of the most important classes I took.  I know everyone is different.  Mine cost $75 as well and I did not know I should take one until my SIL on DH's side told me to do it.  Best thing she told me to do.  I BF for 13 months and never lost patience or was confused, etc.  I know a lot of people have problems, etc. - and a lot of that is not related to classes, but nurses in the PP department were so impressed on the different holds I used, the patience I used and the latching/unlatching techniques I applied right after DD was born - and that was all thanks to the class.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagewalter7878:

I found mine a nice addition to the other classes I took, but breastfeeding is a hands-on thing that you kind of can't figure out until you really do it. (You can have someone tell you about how to sky dive in a class room, but you can't learn how to do it until you're standing in a plane, jumping out.) I would consider it a perk if you could go, but not a necessity. 

If you deliver in a hospital, you'll probably have access to lactation consultants who can help you hands-on, or you may be able to find a support group locally that is free (my hospital offers one). Good luck!

Yep, this. I liken it to learning how to ride a bike without a bike - I would imagine it would be kind of pointless. I would take pp's advice - get a book, get help from an LC in the hospital and look online (kellymom.com is great) for questions once you get home.  Save your $.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I took one and found it to be extremely helpful. I feel much better prepared now. Granted, mine was $35, not $75. If money is tight and you don't want to take the class, I would suggest finding a book to read or a video to watch. I know that breastfeeding is supposed to be intuitive, but I learned a lot of things that I might not have figured out on my own or might have gotten frustrated and given up before I could figure it out.

At a minimum, there should be lactation consultants available in the hospital after you deliver. You might also want to look into breastfeeding support groups in your area. My hospital has a free weekly group for breastfeeding moms.

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board